The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2010-11

fourtrax

#31 Carey Price

8471679.jpg

BioStatsVideoDraft Class
QUOTE LIBRARY

"Mental outlook is such an important part of being a goalie," says Price in the measured cadence inherited from his father. "My dad always told me to have a short memory, whether things are going good or bad. Play in the moment. If one goes in, forget about it and get ready for the next one." ESPN.com

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The starter Job is Prices and theres no one there to bail him out so lets hope when he slumps he rebounds right back and steals us a game.

Last year his consistency was really good which is a step forward now he just needs to take his game to the next level, the level was saw when he was 20.

As Roy 133 mentioned...will also be watching & waiting for Carey to reach the next level.

And another member posted patience by fans...............NOT in habsville. ;)

GO PRICE!

I hear you on that note.

I guess I've had the luxury of watching the Habs win 9 or 10 cups. :D

I hope Carey looks at the great players this organization has let go off in favour of him and use it as a motivation as to that's how much The Habs believe in him' rather then to look at it is extra pressure. It's time for him to step up and no excuses will be needed to justify the organization's continued faith him. My personal expectation for him will be to have a consistent .920 save% throughout the season, rather than to go .940 in the first 2 months and then .880 in the next two. I also want to see him stop reacting to issues off ice and stop breaking his stick against the post every time things start going wrong.

Some fans will be ready to boo him as soon as he lets in that first goal on opening night...he can play the victim and whine and complain about how they are not real fans; or he can put some headphones in his ears, understand the fans' frustration and start producing to make those same fans cheer for him in April. This is going to be Carey's year to put up or shut up; yes he's 22 and yes goalies usually don't mature till 26/27. But those goalies also don't get opportunities like Carey has gotten at his young age. We will either see Price fade away or finally turn the corner this season; and we all hope it's the latter.

I hope Carey looks at the great players this organization has let go off in favour of him and use it as a motivation as to that's how much The Habs believe in him' rather then to look at it is extra pressure. It's time for him to step up and no excuses will be needed to justify the organization's continued faith him. My personal expectation for him will be to have a consistent .920 save% throughout the season, rather than to go .940 in the first 2 months and then .880 in the next two. I also want to see him stop reacting to issues off ice and stop breaking his stick against the post every time things start going wrong.

.920 is high, it's not impossible but it's high. The thing is though there are 2 parts to that. Performing at a .920 level and than the external factors that go with SV%, luck, team performance ect. I'd be real happy if Carey performed at a .915 level and was consistent. Only 10 goalies in the league last year played 50+ games and had a .915+ SV%.

Maturity needs to improve, it's longer term thing probably before he's where he fully needs to be but he's taken great strides so that's a positive.

This is going to be Carey's year to put up or shut up; yes he's 22 and yes goalies usually don't mature till 26/27. But those goalies also don't get opportunities like Carey has gotten at his young age. We will either see Price fade away or finally turn the corner this season; and we all hope it's the latter.

That's a double edged sword though, the reason he's got the opportunities at the young age is because he has immense talent, he can get by simply on talent at the NHL level where most 20-22 year old's can't. He has been an average goalie since his call up so it's not like he's failed the thing is with goalies I think mental development is as important as physical and just because of Carey's raw talent and ability to get by in the NHL young doesn't mean he's developed faster mentally than the average goalie.

If Carey bombs this year than yes, it's time for major, major reflection on the situation. If he's average - slightly above average then IMO you keep the course, maybe go sign a better backup or trade for one if you don't have full confidence in Auld but you stay the course with Carey. His development curve is way, way ahead of the average goalie so we shouldn't be looking at 26-27 for him to really hit full stride but I'd suspect it maybe another year or 2 at the most. The question is what kind of performance can we get in the meantime? The organization is betting above average - good. It's very possible but there's clearly some risk.

.920 is high, it's not impossible but it's high. The thing is though there are 2 parts to that. Performing at a .920 level and than the external factors that go with SV%, luck, team performance ect. I'd be real happy if Carey performed at a .915 level and was consistent. Only 10 goalies in the league last year played 50+ games and had a .915+ SV%.

Maturity needs to improve, it's longer term thing probably before he's where he fully needs to be but he's taken great strides so that's a positive.

That's a double edged sword though, the reason he's got the opportunities at the young age is because he has immense talent, he can get by simply on talent at the NHL level where most 20-22 year old's can't. He has been an average goalie since his call up so it's not like he's failed the thing is with goalies I think mental development is as important as physical and just because of Carey's raw talent and ability to get by in the NHL young doesn't mean he's developed faster mentally than the average goalie.

If Carey bombs this year than yes, it's time for major, major reflection on the situation. If he's average - slightly above average then IMO you keep the course, maybe go sign a better backup or trade for one if you don't have full confidence in Auld but you stay the course with Carey. His development curve is way, way ahead of the average goalie so we shouldn't be looking at 26-27 for him to really hit full stride but I'd suspect it maybe another year or 2 at the most. The question is what kind of performance can we get in the meantime? The organization is betting above average - good. It's very possible but there's clearly some risk.

I completely agree with all of this.

If Carey bombs this year than yes, it's time for major, major reflection on the situation.

Thing is, what constitutes 'bombing'? I thought he played well enough last season; it was just that Halak had an outstanding year and Carey got no run support and not much defensive help. Yet the media perception is that he struggled in 09-10. If he plays at the same level or maybe a bit higher, I'll be happy, but lots of folks are going to say he's bombing and it was a mistake to trade Halak.

Thing is, what constitutes 'bombing'? I thought he played well enough last season; it was just that Halak had an outstanding year and Carey got no run support and not much defensive help. Yet the media perception is that he struggled in 09-10. If he plays at the same level or maybe a bit higher, I'll be happy, but lots of folks are going to say he's bombing and it was a mistake to trade Halak.

I agree, he didn't bomb at all last year. If he maintains a consistent performance and a SV% between .910 and .915 we should all be happy because at 22-23 that's phenomenal. By bombing I just mean playing horribly, think how he played in the 2nd half of 08-09. If he does that again, over a full season or majority of the season then we need to really assess things IMO.

I'm pretty confident he won't bomb and even if he did I didn't say I'd flat out give up on him just if it happened he maybe better off continuing his development in another city because it will get ugly.

Will be interesting to see the mentality of the bell center fans,in regards to supporting their #1 netminder this season. <_<

Well, there will always be detractors... People booing Carey, but I hope the response is largely positive. I think that after the summer goes by people will feel better about the Halak trade and be less likely to get on Carey's case.

Well, there will always be detractors... People booing Carey, but I hope the response is largely positive. I think that after the summer goes by people will feel better about the Halak trade and be less likely to get on Carey's case.

I think for the most part the crowd has been good to him. Yes, they had their love affair with Halak and rightfully so with what he was doing but it's not like everyone turned on Carey, a lot of people supported Halak while maintaining their like of Carey.

There are some that dislike him, and with any player that minority is generally more vocal than the majority who even if they aren't huge Carey fans, they pull for him and they don't target players. When Carey started the playoff game for Washington the crowd was way behind him, chanting his name after saves ect. If Carey comes in and plays well it won't be an issue, people will be behind him.

I think for the most part the crowd has been good to him....it it's not like everyone turned on Carey.

Not everyone...but with the perception from most...just saying.....hope,would be nice to see them get behind him more (support & patience needed)....when he goes through bad strings of games.

Just my take. ;)

Well, there will always be detractors.

But of course.

Canadian hockey players would grow up knowing that hockey is like a religion in Quebec, and so they would expect the scrutiny of the media and fans. I think Carey has handled these pressures really well for a kid his age, I expect him to step up and take his game to a new level.Hopefully he signs a contract for another three years and end the turmoil about our goaltending.

Him and his agent are waiting for the organization to "show him the money". ;)

They're probably discussing a variety of things, longer term, mid term, 1 year. Lots of balls could be up in the air. Lapierre hasn't signed either. It's not a huge concern, if worst comes to worse a 1 year deal will be worked out.

Archived