The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2010-11

fourtrax

... because with price in net this year i honestly don't think we will make the play offs but we might have a chance at number one draft pick next. the canadiens are also feeding price to the wolves do honestly think if he starts playing bad the fans will be behind him after the way halak played last year. i think we are making a mistake if we sign for lots and long term.but anyway good luck this year montreal your going to need it.

Again, I am saying this with the utmost respect for your opinion, but I also disagree with this comment.

There is a very strong trend among Habs fans (and among all rabid sports fans - take a look at Leafs Fans) to have a "what have you done for me lately?" mentality when it comes to our players. Do you honestly think that a professional hockey organisation that has been carefully and methodically grooming a player not know more about their players potentials and capabilities than us arm-chair GM's who are enamoured by the flavour of the month?

Just because Price is not the same goalie we saw take us to the top of the conference two years ago (a feat, I would argue, which is far greater than a streak of hot games in the playoffs) doesn't mean he is a wash-out. In fact, I would argue that his poise and maturity in response to riding the pines shows his long-term pedigree more than a solid two-months by Halak.

I honestly see Price returning to form or at the very least giving a very good showing this year in relation to his development as a young goalie. I suspect all the nay-sayers and Price haters will be mysteriously absent or clamouring to sign up to the Price fan club when this happens.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Carey was ever going to be the man in Montreal, he needed to be exposed to the pressures of this hockey market. The last few years have been useful and instructional. I still think his development is ahead of what you'd expect for a 22-year-old goalie. We'll have to see how things play out this season. I'll be happy if he holds steady or shows slight improvements. If he regresses to the second half of 08-09, we have a problem. But ultimately the team needs to play better in front of him, or whoever is in nets at any given time.

If Carey was ever going to be the man in Montreal, he needed to be exposed to the pressures of this hockey market. The last few years have been useful and instructional. I still think his development is ahead of what you'd expect for a 22-year-old goalie. We'll have to see how things play out this season. I'll be happy if he holds steady or shows slight improvements. If he regresses to the second half of 08-09, we have a problem. But ultimately the team needs to play better in front of him, or whoever is in nets at any given time.

This is why I think that PG chose one goalie over the other in the whole Halak/Price debate. By annointing a #1, he is absically telling the team "You better play well in front of Carey, or you're not in the plan". No 'options', no 'excuses'.

This is why I think that PG chose one goalie over the other in the whole Halak/Price debate. By annointing a #1, he is absically telling the team "You better play well in front of Carey, or you're not in the plan". No 'options', no 'excuses'.

If that's true, it's a welcome change in direction for a team that has been flat-out miserable at scoring goals for over a decade now.

If that's true, it's a welcome change in direction for a team that has been flat-out miserable at scoring goals for over a decade now.

I don't think that's going to change in the near future, because we are missing a true offensive force in our top 6 guys. Ever since Roy took us to the promised land, the management is trying to replicate the system of relying on the 'tender to keep pucks out rather than put them in.

Can Price do it? He has the potential, I think. Will it change your prognostication? I doubt it :).

I don't think that's going to change in the near future, because we are missing a true offensive force in our top 6 guys. Ever since Roy took us to the promised land, the management is trying to replicate the system of relying on the 'tender to keep pucks out rather than put them in.

It's too early to say, but I think Gauthier is trying to slowly take the team in a different direction. Gainey's approach to building a team was antiquated. PG strikes me as someone with a better read on how the game has evolved today.

As for our offensive woes, while I agree that our offense is still lacking one or two necessary components, there is absolutely no reason it should be as poor as it's been over the past decade (minus 07-08 which basically keyed off Kovalev's career year and a red-hot PP). I actually think we have the horses to be a middle-of-the-pack scoring team, not a powerhouse, but an average team with its share of PPG and 30-goal scorers. The question is whether Martin is capable of implementing a system that plays to the strengths of our small, quick forwards, and not their weaknesses. Overall team health is also a wildcard.

Can Price do it? He has the potential, I think. Will it change your prognostication? I doubt it :).

:)

The question is whether Martin is capable of implementing a system that plays to the strengths of our small, quick forwards, and not their weaknesses. Overall team health is also a wildcard.

Team health also played a big role in the 07-08 run. We had basically a clean bill except (I think) for a small bout a flu in the winter.

As for potting goals, relying on Carey to keep them out of our net won't improve that much. I am in definite agreement with you that Martin needs to use our smaller forwards strengths and maybe think outside of the typical defensive system he is associated with.

I think our offense is just about there. Cammalleri is at least a 35 goal scorer, maybe 40. Gionta could hit 30, Gomez hit 15, Pouliot hit 20-25, Pleks hit 20, AK could hit 20, if he turns his game up maybe 30.

I agree with Weep. This roster of Habs won't be a powerhouse, but we could easily be in the top 15 of the league scoring.

I know, I was agreeing with you :D Sorry if it came off as arguementative.

haha, cheers.

I believe in Carey. At the same time, he may not have gotten over the things that plagued him his whole career. If he doesn't work out this season, and I don't have Halakian expectations, but if he doesn't have a winning record, we need to seriously reconsider the goalie position.

I have been a habs fan sence i was old enough to know what hockey was , and they will always be my nubmber 1 team but i think the stupidest thing they did was trading halak and signing price. halak was a all around great goal tender and carried us through the play-offs if it was price in net we whouldnt have made it by the caps. dont get me wrong price WAS a good goal tender is first year but showed no reason to keep him instead of halak. we messed up with patric roy and we did it again with halak!! :angry:

I think our offense is just about there. Cammalleri is at least a 35 goal scorer, maybe 40. Gionta could hit 30, Gomez hit 15, Pouliot hit 20-25, Pleks hit 20, AK could hit 20, if he turns his game up maybe 30.

I agree with Weep. This roster of Habs won't be a powerhouse, but we could easily be in the top 15 of the league scoring.

I'm willing to bet some shave cream that he will not score more than 10 goals this season.

@guy above. Price hasn't been signed yet. Besides, having a good season as a goaltender is basically 70% luck. There are just too many factors to count ;)

I have been a habs fan sence i was old enough to know what hockey was , and they will always be my nubmber 1 team but i think the stupidest thing they did was trading halak and signing price. halak was a all around great goal tender and carried us through the play-offs if it was price in net we whouldnt have made it by the caps. dont get me wrong price WAS a good goal tender is first year but showed no reason to keep him instead of halak. we messed up with patric roy and we did it again with halak!! :angry:

Just look at what Halak signed for... We'd be pretty much bust if we had signed him to that contract. You compare skill set to money and the answer is Carey. He hasn't broken out like Halak did last season, but Halak also has 2 years on Carey. Due to Carey's early struggles, we have some wiggle room, with Halak's recent success, he pretty much holds all the cards (plus we know how much Halak's agent loves to stir things up).

It's definitely a gamble... It's a gamble for the Blues as well. You look at the law of averages and the odds are against Halak duplicating what he did this past playoff.

And before anyone tells me I'm a blind Carey fan, let me remind everyone that I was supporting Halak when everyone else was on the Carey bandwagon.

So Halak is as good as Patrick Roy? How has Price regressed in his developement in the past two years?

So Halak is as good as Patrick Roy? How has Price regressed in his developement in the past two years?

.920 to .912 thats regression, from a 2.56 to 2.77 goals against that regression,

from 7 th in the league to 21 st, from 19th in the league to 31.

Certainly signs of regression

.920 to .912 thats regression, from a 2.56 to 2.77 goals against that regression,

from 7 th in the league to 21 st, from 19th in the league to 31.

Certainly signs of regression

thats not entirely how the picture is now is it...

its not just .920 to .912 ... and 2.56 to 2.77 ... come on now ... honestly people its not that bad ... you say regression ...

.920, .905, .912 and 2.56, 2.88, 2.77 ... even in a not so great year in terms of wins/loss price was able to bounce back in his numbers ... theres nothing to say he regressed ... unless you only look at his 1st season and 3rd season ... the truth is he bounced back from his 2nd season ... theres improvement ... its not as bad as some make it ...

thats not entirely how the picture is now is it...

its not just .920 to .912 ... and 2.56 to 2.77 ... come on now ... honestly people its not that bad ... you say regression ...

.920, .905, .912 and 2.56, 2.88, 2.77 ... even in a not so great year in terms of wins/loss price was able to bounce back in his numbers ... theres nothing to say he regressed ... unless you only look at his 1st season and 3rd season ... the truth is he bounced back from his 2nd season ... theres improvement ... its not as bad as some make it ...

It is entirely true.

He was 19th in the league in goals against his first season.

The second season he was 31st in the league

The third season he 31 st in the league

Thats not improvement.

I find it funny people want to say how he improved over season two to justify price, when some plays as bad as he did in season 2, its not likely you can play worse, you have already put the odds in your favour, I guees if he has a save percent this year around .9 to .905, and than the following season he is at .908 to.912 you will still tel me he is improving.

It is entirely true.

He was 19th in the league in goals against his first season.

The second season he was 31st in the league

The third season he 31 st in the league

Thats not improvement.

I find it funny people want to say how he improved over season two to justify price, when some plays as bad as he did in season 2, its not likely you can play worse, you have already put the odds in your favour, I guees if he has a save percent this year around .9 to .905, and than the following season he is at .908 to.912 you will still tel me he is improving.

Find me a single goalie aside from Brodeur who has not had ups and downs in their developments. It's part of growing as a goaltender. When grooming a young, raw goalie into an NHL calibre backstop takes time.

In your analysis, do not forget how great Price was playing in his second season before he got hurt. He was one of the league's top goalies the first three months of the season. Then the injury hit and he was a disaster for two months. In the end, his season stats were average, but they weren't horrible. Over the course of season 3, he was vastly better than what he was in January and February of the previous year. He played more consistently and put up better overall numbers than his previous season. So yes, that is improvement.

You act as if Price needs to better his rookie numbers to show improvement in your book. That's not going to happen. Guys don't put up a .920 SV% on a yearly basis, not even Brodeur. No, Price hasn't improved past his rookie season. He has, however, certainly improved from what he was in January and February of 2009. You have to work your way back from rock bottom and he is doing that. That being said, I'm not at all happy that he once again has been anointed the starter and future of the franchise without earning it.

Archived