The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2010-11

fourtrax

I have no problem with trading Halak before Price was signed if the management had it in mind it would only show respect to Price, that they are willing to negotiate his contract without pretext. On the other hand if it was just an oversight on their part they failed to consider, then that would be pathetic. But I highly doubt it's the latter...

Me too. I think Gauthier knows exactly what he's getting into as evidenced by his comments concerning the trading of Halak. He said he knew what his value was without even negotiating. He knew it would be out of our range. The man is smart. He was right. Halak was out of our range and trading him made sense. As it applies to Carey I think Gauthier knows what Carey's value is and just has to work out the kinks in the contract. Of course there will be room to move, but had he started negotiating with Carey prior to dealing Halak people would have said, "Oh, that means Halak is getting traded for sure and Price is our number one," and Price's agent would've acted accordingly anyway.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no problem with trading Halak before Price was signed if the management had it in mind it would only show respect to Price, that they are willing to negotiate his contract without pretext. On the other hand if it was just an oversight on their part they failed to consider, then that would be pathetic. But I highly doubt it's the latter...

I don't think it was an oversight or respect. I think it was the simple fact that Price was an RFA with no arbritration rights, and consequently no leverage to demand an expensive contract. Unless he doesn't want to play in the NHL next year he will sign with us. :D I imagine the hold up is both sides playing around with term to see what fits both parties best interests.

I don't think it was an oversight or respect. I think it was the simple fact that Price was an RFA with no arbritration rights, and consequently no leverage to demand an expensive contract. Unless he doesn't want to play in the NHL next year he will sign with us. :D I imagine the hold up is both sides playing around with term to see what fits both parties best interests.

Yeah that's basically what I mean to say. I don't mean Halak was traded before negotiations started with Price exclusively to show price respect, I just mean that if Halak being traded before can be taken in any sense insofar as the management's regard for Price is concerned then it would seem to suggest there is no loss of respect from the management towards Price.

Me too. I think Gauthier knows exactly what he's getting into as evidenced by his comments concerning the trading of Halak. He said he knew what his value was without even negotiating. He knew it would be out of our range. The man is smart. He was right. Halak was out of our range and trading him made sense. As it applies to Carey I think Gauthier knows what Carey's value is and just has to work out the kinks in the contract. Of course there will be room to move, but had he started negotiating with Carey prior to dealing Halak people would have said, "Oh, that means Halak is getting traded for sure and Price is our number one," and Price's agent would've acted accordingly anyway.

http://forum.canadiens.com/index.php?showt...t&p=1801369

Why would Halak fans go in quotation marks?

I think he used the quotation marks because of people who instantly jumped on his bandwagon once the playoffs commenced. The people who were never seen supporting Halak, and then once the playoffs started and he did what he did, they were like "zOMG bezt goalee evurrrr."

Why would Halak fans go in quotation marks?

I don't like the terms, it's just what people called those who supported Halak just as the one's who thought we should go with Price were "Price fans" according to most.

When Pierre McGuire said Price is the future in the Habs net ect. all the "Halak fans" basically called him a no nothing, idiot analyst.

I never called him anything. He maybe even didn't change his opinion about Carey. It's fine he can have his view.

I was replying to the post how PG is smart. There are people out there who think PG could have and should have got more for Jaro. I agree.

I never called him anything. He maybe even didn't change his opinion about Carey. It's fine he can have his view.

I was replying to the post how PG is smart. There are people out there who think PG could have and should have got more for Jaro. I agree.

You see thats great that people think he could have got more but i don't see anyone saying what he could have got from st louis that is better then their best prospect... we didn't have the cap space to take a roster player so given the cap and everything i'd say we got the best offer available.

You see thats great that people think he could have got more but i don't see anyone saying what he could have got from st louis that is better then their best prospect... we didn't have the cap space to take a roster player so given the cap and everything i'd say we got the best offer available.

The point is that some other teams were shocked with the trade news as well. Maybe we could have got some other better prospects from somebody else. There was no bidding war for Jaro. That's a mistake.

PG did not act in the best interest of the Habs. That's a simple fact.

The point is that some other teams were shocked with the trade news as well. Maybe we could have got some other better prospects from somebody else. There was no bidding war for Jaro. That's a mistake.

Exactly, Some teams were shocked they weren't contacted about Jaro that tells me he wasn't shopped around properly and we could have got much more than 2 prospects. It wasn't so much that Halak was traded away, which is huge blunder IMO but what we got for him wasn't enough. I guess time will tell but Eller better be damned good.

I have to disagree... He acted in the best interest of the Habs by thinking of the future and not the present. It was a sound business decision.

Could he have gotten more for Halak?

Sure he could've.

But, at what cost?

Kinda useless to trade away Halak for a 4mil+/year player. The whole point of trading him, was to save cap space. If PG traded him due to cap issues, the only thing he could do was acquire either a draft pick or a prospect and he got the Habs 2 prospects.

Now, could he have shopped around a bit?

I believe he should've done a lil shopping and taken his time. But, it's over now. The only issue I have with this trade (and yes, I was always a Halak fan... scroll back a few years), is that it went down to fast.

Maybe the teams that didn't know Halak was available were teams Pierre didn't want to deal Halak to. I don't subscribe to avoiding trading within the division but maybe Pierre didn't want to.

Maybe Pierre got a player he deemed to be absolutely the guy he wanted. A lot of possibilities here folks.

Exactly, Some teams were shocked they weren't contacted about Jaro that tells me he wasn't shopped around properly and we could have got much more than 2 prospects. It wasn't so much that Halak was traded away, which is huge blunder IMO but what we got for him wasn't enough. I guess time will tell but Eller better be damned good.

teams can say all they want after the trade has gone down ... "oh we were surprised" etc... but the fact is we got exactly what we would have got if halak was given an offer sheet ... he signed for 3.75 = 1st and 3rd ... we got a 1st and 3rd ... the idea that we could have got more is just a hunch ... there is no proof we would have gotten more ... what were we going to get for halak?? no one was going to give up a bonafide super star for him and why would they?? ...

i mean really i'd just like someone to name me one prospect on a team that would have wanted halak that is better then eller. PG got us the best possible prospect and more importantly set us up for a future instead of living just in the present. We have a young goalie developing into what we hope will be an above average starter. We have a center who could be ready for the nhl this fall and in a few years could challenge for the 2nd or even 1st line. I fail to see how we lost at all in the trade.

like someone just said, the trade was made in too much haste. It reeked of desperation, like omg we have to let Carey know that the playoffs were an aberration and he is still our #1. I have been a Halak champion since he first came up. I don't believe many people actually shifted to him during his historic performance in the playoffs. Those who were primarily Price supporters remained so all through the playoffs, and continue to point to Halak's occasional weak performances and his low draft selection to justify what has happened since. You don't simply dish away a considerable part of what was a fairy tale playoff run without considering all options. I see no evidence of trying to divest ourselves of Hamrlik, Spacek, Markov, Kostitisyn, and any other players who singlehandedly could have made space to sign Halak, probably for a little less than 3.75 mill. Not to mention trying to test the market for Price, who, according to so many here, is so much more desirable than Halak, because of all his junior achievements and high draft status. Any of these would have been better choices than what was done IMO. With one fell swoop, Gauthier acted impulsively and quelled the magic of that playoff run, the best in 16 years, and in all likelihood assured us of continued regular season and playoff mediocrity into the foreseeable future.

like someone just said, the trade was made in too much haste. It reeked of desperation, like omg we have to let Carey know that the playoffs were an aberration and he is still our #1. I have been a Halak champion since he first came up. I don't believe many people actually shifted to him during his historic performance in the playoffs. Those who were primarily Price supporters remained so all through the playoffs, and continue to point to Halak's occasional weak performances and his low draft selection to justify what has happened since. You don't simply dish away a considerable part of what was a fairy tale playoff run without considering all options. I see no evidence of trying to divest ourselves of Hamrlik, Spacek, Markov, Kostitisyn, and any other players who singlehandedly could have made space to sign Halak, probably for a little less than 3.75 mill. Not to mention trying to test the market for Price, who, according to so many here, is so much more desirable than Halak, because of all his junior achievements and high draft status. Any of these would have been better choices than what was done IMO. With one fell swoop, Gauthier acted impulsively and quelled the magic of that playoff run, the best in 16 years, and in all likelihood assured us of continued regular season and playoff mediocrity into the foreseeable future.

It's not as black and white as you seem to put it. I said the trade was a lil fast for my liking, but I did not it was desperate.

Sure, moving Hamrlik and his 5 mil contract would've been great imo. But, not only do you have to find a taker, but you have to find one with cap space. Btw, the summer's not over yet, it still might happen.

Some people seem to think that all you have to do is mention moving a player and he's gone. First, you have to convince GM's that player "X" is still worth his salary and then the team has to fit player "X" and his salary under the cap. Also, you want to stay away from divisional rivals (as much as you can), so it doesn't come back to bite you. Also, any team you're going to send a 5 mil player to, is going to want you to take some salary back... It's easier said than done.

Being a GM in today's cap world, is almost an art.

You're obviously upset over the trade and a big Halak fan.

This is coming from a Halak supporter (me)... I'd be very surprised if he was able to keep his game at he same level we saw last season. I could be wrong, but the odds are very much against him.

Btw, I support certain players, I don't have favorites. I like certain players more than others, but I think of the team as a whole. And this move by PG, imo was a good move. Seriously, it took serious stones to go against the fans and trade away last season's playoff star. I'm sure it wasn't a move he took lightly, like i said before, a lil rushed, but at the end of the day... I believe he made the right choice.

As for Carey, I believe we should've gone after a vet, one who had been a starter. But now, it's clear that PG was going after a career back up. Specially when we hear that PG did talk with Lalime. If Carey does struggle next season, it's all on him. Auld is not the type of goalie who can come out there and steal games. He can win the odd game, but he'll always be a back up... That move kinda puts Carey on the spot. The kids going to have to pull his weight.

i mean really i'd just like someone to name me one prospect on a team that would have wanted halak that is better then eller. PG got us the best possible prospect and more importantly set us up for a future instead of living just in the present. We have a young goalie developing into what we hope will be an above average starter. We have a center who could be ready for the nhl this fall and in a few years could challenge for the 2nd or even 1st line. I fail to see how we lost at all in the trade.

Edmonton's Paajarvi-Svensson could be better.

It's not only about the first player but second one as well. Combination of the players could have been better. We'll never know now.

If there was a bidding auction someone would pay more. That's how it goes.

Maybe the teams that didn't know Halak was available were teams Pierre didn't want to deal Halak to. I don't subscribe to avoiding trading within the division but maybe Pierre didn't want to.

Maybe Pierre got a player he deemed to be absolutely the guy he wanted. A lot of possibilities here folks.

BG and Armstrong are friends from Dallas. That's a background of the trade.

BG and PG were dealing with a friend and they overlooked the best interests of Habs.

It's not only about the first player but second one as well. Combination of the players could have been better. We'll never know now.

lol only 3 teams needed goalies ... edmonton isnt looking for a goalie ... there was not going to be a bidding war ... we're lucky to have recieved what we got ... i think we should turn this thread back into the carey price thread ... halaks is located in the around the league section ...

anyways ... looking forward to hear that he's signed a deal ... i really wonder if its dollar figures or term that they havent been able to agree on

BG and Armstrong are friends from Dallas. That's a background of the trade.

BG and PG were dealing with a friend and they overlooked the best interests of Habs.

Seems incredibly speculative and baseless.

Or you can over play your hand and lose out once the market opens on July 1 or even gets closer to opening. We've seen it many times, teams overplay their hands and other organizations just end up waiting things out. Look at the market for goalies, Nabokov goes back to Russia, Turco can't find work, UFA goalies are consistently getting very little money and what goalies have been the center of a trade recently?

I'm not saying you're definitely wrong but it's clearly all speculative.

Archived