The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#6 Jaroslav Spacek 2010-11

fourtrax

#6 Jaroslav Spacek

8467439.jpg

BioStatsVideoDraft Class
QUOTE LIBRARY

Despite playing ugly minutes, Spacek leads the Montreal blue-line in plus/minus (plus-6) and sits right behind Andrei Markov in terms of his impact on the Canadiens’ shot rate. He’s being asked to be a shutdown defenceman, and that means he isn’t going to put up offence. Bottom line: Spacek’s doing a fine job in a difficult role. Blogs.TheScore.com, January 18 2010

I like this quote library portion of player's page. I never checked the first pages for the previous season, so I'm not sure if it's a new thing. That said, I like this quote. I know a lot of friends who gave Spacek a hard time for not scoring enough last season, but he wasn't really used that way as far as I could see. That said, he did perform really well overall in a more defensive role with Hamrlik, and it seems like we may be seeing more of that to start this season with Markov out.

I like this quote library portion of player's page. I never checked the first pages for the previous season, so I'm not sure if it's a new thing. That said, I like this quote.

Yes, it is new. :) Here's how you can help grow the Quote Library.

I know a lot of friends who gave Spacek a hard time for not scoring enough last season, but he wasn't really used that way as far as I could see. That said, he did perform really well overall in a more defensive role with Hamrlik, and it seems like we may be seeing more of that to start this season with Markov out.

He had a rough start last season but once he settled into the new role and playing on the right side, he was really solid. And you can't complain about the cap hit. It's a good contract and Jaro gave us good value last season.

He had a rough start last season but once he settled into the new role and playing on the right side, he was really solid. And you can't complain about the cap hit. It's a good contract and Jaro gave us good value last season.

He was valuable last season, and I think that most people agreed the first year of his contract would like fine. It's this year and particularly the last year that are scary. He took some -very- hard hits this year, and is edging into -NHL level senior citizenship. Hopefully he can maintain this level of productivity.

That being said, someone made a post about him last year which was reasonably astute in that.. there's no reason to worry about him wearing down as he always seems to take 2-3 weeks off with some injury-or another during a season to rest and recuperate.

He was usefull though, and was missed when injured int he playoffs. Hopefully his fitness is maintained and he remains a key cog and worth of such a large cap-commitment.

He was valuable last season, and I think that most people agreed the first year of his contract would like fine. It's this year and particularly the last year that are scary. He took some -very- hard hits this year, and is edging into -NHL level senior citizenship. Hopefully he can maintain this level of productivity.

Agreed, these final two years of the contract are going to be dicey. But I like Jaro's chances. He plays an unflashy but solid game in our own end.

That being said, someone made a post about him last year which was reasonably astute in that.. there's no reason to worry about him wearing down as he always seems to take 2-3 weeks off with some injury-or another during a season to rest and recuperate.

Good point. I'd be surprised if he played close to 82 games this season. He's at the age where the coaches should be giving him the odd game off here and there to recuperate from bumps and bruises, even if no major injuries strike.

I'm also hoping that our overall team defense solidifies this season so our d-men won't have to spend so much time getting pounded in our own end.

My friend, too, was complaining about his lack of production. He thinks everyone should be scoring at an insane rate and if they're not, they're being overpayed. Here's to hoping he can have a repeat of last season and the playoffs(where he played absolutely amazing).

Salary-wise, I still think he is being over-paid. We have too many left-handed D and we don't need as many vets on the back end at that price. to put it in perspective, for the same salary, we could have kept Halak and used Carle as a 7th D instead of keeping Spacek and signing Auld.

Salary-wise, I still think he is being over-paid. We have too many left-handed D and we don't need as many vets on the back end at that price. to put it in perspective, for the same salary, we could have kept Halak and used Carle as a 7th D instead of keeping Spacek and signing Auld.

Ehh... Well, look at our goaltending when you take out Halak, Price is still there, and that's still rock solid.

Defense, not so much (especially considering that Markov will probably be out for the first month or so)

Hammer-Subban?? (i dunno)

Carle- O'Byrne

Gill- Gorges

weaaaaakkkkk...

I think we're 1 veteran too high on our back end. As amazing he was during the post season when he played. I think O'Byrne is ready to play a full season on our blue line. We have Gill, Hamrlik, and Markov to mentor our young d-men. Gorges has sparked, O'Byrne is just coming along, Subban just surpassed our expectations.

I just re-read the articles when Spacek signed with our Habs (one of BG over-payed signing). I know he was more of a defensive role with our Habs and on the wrong side of the ice, but still, I wouldn't mind trading Spacek during the off season or during in the mid season give Weber a some more little ice time with the big club. 3.83m is really an overpaid d-men who's 36 now and with that contract, how much did it hurt his value? It's BG signings, I hope PG will fix it, but if he does stay for full length of his contract with our Habs, I'll still be okay with it, but I hope he's gotten used to playing on the right side and uses his offensive ability more this up coming season. :)

My friend, too, was complaining about his lack of production. He thinks everyone should be scoring at an insane rate and if they're not, they're being overpayed. Here's to hoping he can have a repeat of last season and the playoffs(where he played absolutely amazing).

Although it would be swell if he could try to hit the net on at least 50% of his shots :P

I think I might be the only board member who actually liked Jaroslav's game ALL last season. I thought he did an admirable job given having the switch sides and learn to play on the right. He was stellar in the post-season and clearly battled through some injuries to end the year. If he has another season exactly like last season the contract will have been a good overall deal, IMO. ;)

I think I might be the only board member who actually liked Jaroslav's game ALL last season. I thought he did an admirable job given having the switch sides and learn to play on the right. He was stellar in the post-season and clearly battled through some injuries to end the year. If he has another season exactly like last season the contract will have been a good overall deal, IMO. ;)

You're not the only one :)

I thought he did ok & will do even better this next season.

I thought he did ok & will do even better this next season.

Jaro is a wily veteran and plays that kind of game. He sure showed what he is worth in the playoffs he along with everyone on defence played marvelous hockey otherwise we wouldn't have been playing in the finals.

Jaro is a wily veteran and plays that kind of game. He sure showed what he is worth in the playoffs he along with everyone on defence played marvelous hockey otherwise we wouldn't have been playing in the conference finals.

there i fixed it

• 2 weeks later...

You're not the only one with amnesia. There's no way any fan on this forum went through the ~100 games Jaro played last season and never said to them self just once "We're paying how much for that old guy?"

I think he was great in stretches like the playoffs but be serious that contract is atrocious in 2011-2012, if we get solid development from OB/Carle/Picard or whomever, Spacek is the number 1 salary dump at this year's trade deadline to acquire cap space for an offensive player for the stretch run after AK invariably has another 20 goal bunched into 30 games spread over 60 games campaign.

I have nothing against Spacek, I think he's a standup guy and solid NHL defenceman but he's being paid as our number 3 d-man for the next 2 years when he has at best 1 more season in those legs.

• 2 weeks later...

Anxious to see where Spacek fits into the Habs' lineup to start the season. I'm kinda hoping for something like this............

Hamrlik - Subban

Spacek - O'Byrne

Gill - Gorges

When Markov comes back then what happens? I think Spacek back on the right with Markov would be a good thing. Spacek was there last year and gives some experience instead of Markov having to babysit O'Byrne or Subban.

• 1 month later...

Had an extended lunch break and read some piece in today's Journal de Montreal about Spacek. Apparently he's feeling much better than last year, he's lost some weight, and his foot injury and the mysterious headache/ear problems are now completely behind him. He also said that Bergeron's strong performance on the PP and his shift to the left D side were the main reason for him not reaching his usual point totals last year. Apparently he really likes playing his new position though and doesn't want to go back ever again. He added that hopes to be paired with Markov for most of the year.

Archived