The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Pierre Boivin Stepping Down June 2011

musket-ball

From the team:

Monday, 05.07.2010 / 3:30 PM / News Montreal CanadiensPRESS RELEASE

MONTREAL -- The Board of Directors of CH Group, the holding company that owns the Club de hockey Canadien, the Bell Centre and evenko, announced Monday that it has adopted a succession plan to ensure a smooth transition in its corporate leadership at the conclusion of the next fiscal year, on June 30, 2011. This is in accordance with Mr. Geoff Molson’s decision to assume the position of President and Chief Executive Officer.

The plan calls for Mr. Pierre Boivin to stay on as President and CEO of Club de hockey Canadien and evenko until the end of the transition period. He will work closely with Mr. Molson, who will assume Mr. Boivin’s duties on June 30, 2011.

Mr. Geoff Molson, Chairman of CH Group, underscored the importance of Pierre Boivin’s contribution to the organization’s success.

“From the moment he was hired by Molson Inc., eleven years ago, Pierre undertook to transform the organization by modernizing it, developing fan passion and loyalty, particularly through the team’s centennial celebrations, and creating value in all of our sports and entertainment operations,” Geoff Molson stated. “We have been able to count on his loyalty and unfailing support since we purchased the team and both the Board of Directors and I greatly appreciate being able to rely on his expertise, experience and cooperation during the coming year to ensure that our plan is executed successfully. To this end, we have invited Pierre, and he has accepted, to join the board of directors of CH Group.”

For his part, Mr. Boivin underlined his attachment to the organization. “Ever since I took on the management of the Montreal Canadiens and related businesses, I have had the privilege of working with owners and employees who were passionate about hockey and entertainment, committed to the team’s success, respectful of our fans and the entire community, and determined to create a unique experience for our patrons at the Bell Centre. The confidence and unflagging support of our owners combined with the skills and commitment of all of our employees allowed our organization to achieve ever more ambitious goals.”

Does this mean the french first policy is gone?

I don't think so. He seems to understand what the French language means to the organization.

The bilingual nature of Montreal is not immune to Geoffrey Molson, whose children attend the French school. "I speak french to my children and I'm still in french in Montreal, he told the magazine Les Affaires. It has always been important to my family to be bilingual. "

http://allhabs.blogspot.com/2009/06/who-ar...n-brothers.html

Here's the original article in French.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...eres-molson.php

Boivin did an incredible job.

I didn't like the fact that he let politics and the language issue influence his decisions when hiring personnel. I'm sure alot of us were wondering if and when the Molsons were going to take control of this team and that time is coming. I for one welcome change because change is needed if this organization is to ever return to its former glory.

I didn't like the fact that he let politics and the language issue influence his decisions when hiring personnel. I'm sure alot of us were wondering if and when the Molsons were going to take control of this team and that time is coming. I for one welcome change because change is needed if this organization is to ever return to its former glory.

Politics and the 'language issue' were always part of this organization, even during the most successful years. You need a bilingual coach and GM in this city whether we like it or not.

Politics and the 'language issue' were always part of this organization, even during the most successful years. You need a bilingual coach and GM in this city whether we like it or not.

I understand that but if you ask the average Habs fan on the street they don't care if we have a bilingual coach and GM as long as the team wins. What ever happened to hiring the best man for the job? I think the whole issue is overblown and is a handicap to the team.

People say a lot of things before the fact but when the average francophone turns on RDS 30 to watch the post-game reactions and they can't understand the coach it won't go over well

I understand that but if you ask the average Habs fan on the street they don't care if we have a bilingual coach and GM as long as the team wins. What ever happened to hiring the best man for the job? I think the whole issue is overblown and is a handicap to the team.

I don't disagree with you because it doesn't make a difference to me personally and I'm all for hiring the best guy available but it is what it is. I know many average French Habs fans who would certainly care if neither the GM nor the coach were able to express themselves in French. Also, don't forget the media outlets in this city, think business, sponsoring, community initiatives etc.

It's not always about the average Hab fan, that's all I'm saying ;)

People say a lot of things before the fact but when the average francophone turns on RDS 30 to watch the post-game reactions and they can't understand the coach it won't go over well

They probably care more about putting the best possible product on the ice than what the coach has to say for two minutes after a game.

RDS subtitles everything spoken in english anyways. I guarantee you that there are far more fans who DON'T care if the coach speaks french as compared with the few quebecers that do.

Guest olddude

I don't really know enough about him to say anything good or bad, so I'll just say good luck in your future endevours. Now, I am looking forward to seeing what Geoff Molson will do, the Habs enjoyed a lot of success under previous Molson ownership. I hope to see that again.

RDS subtitles everything spoken in english anyways. I guarantee you that there are far more fans who DON'T care if the coach speaks french as compared with the few quebecers that do.

There's no way to offer subtitles during post-game press conferences or interviews, they're mostly held in both languages. The RDS guys often ask questions in English and translate after a player/coach has answered, obviously a lot is lost in translation there. RDS only produces subtitles when they have the necessary time to do so.

No offense but I take personal experience over your guarantee. As a matter of fact, there are plenty of French-speaking fans in Montreal and the Province of Quebec who do care and it's always been part of the organizational culture, going all English in the Province of Quebec is bad business and simply not going to happen anytime soon IMO.

A lot of people are saying that Boivin did a very good job and I'm not here to insist that he did or did not,however we can't overlook the fact that we,as Habs fans ,are not especially pleased with the fact that we have now gone 17 years without the "holy grail" and a dozen of those have come under his tenure!? <_<

A lot of people are saying that Boivin did a very good job and I'm not here to insist that he did or did not,however we can't overlook the fact that we,as Habs fans ,are not especially pleased with the fact that we have now gone 17 years without the "holy grail" and a dozen of those have come under his tenure!? <_<

Yea and all he did was raise ticket prices and gain more profit.

I read on the NY Islanders Forum that they will have Scrimmages pitting their draft picks and prospects against each other and sell tickets for them with the profits going to charity. Why don't the Habs do this it would be a good way to watch the prospects and it would help quench the starving fans in the Off-season. Tell me what you think about our team doing something like this.

I read on the NY Islanders Forum that they will have Scrimmages pitting their draft picks and prospects against each other and sell tickets for them with the profits going to charity. Why don't the Habs do this it would be a good way to watch the prospects and it would help quench the starving fans in the Off-season. Tell me what you think about our team doing something like this.

Sounds like a great idea, Just MTL practices sell out

Archived