The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Asst. Coaching Staff 2010-11

FirstStar

Kirk Muller

muller.jpg

Position: Assistant Coach

-Kirk Muller returned within the organization on June 20, 2006, when he was named Assistant Coach of the Canadiens. In 2005-06, Muller was Head Coach of the Queen's University Golden Gaels, in his hometown of Kingston, posting an 8-13-1-2 record in the Ontario University Athletics Conference.

Muller also held the title of Assistant Coach to Marc Habscheid with Team Canada, winning the gold medal at the 2005 Lotto Cup Tournament in Slovakia. In March 2006, he served as Assistant Coach to Greg Gilbert at the Under-18 World Championship.

*From Canadiens.com

Perry Pearn

perrypearn.jpg

Position: Assistant Coach

-Appointed assistant coach of the Montreal Canadiens on July 6, 2009, Perry Pearn is a career coach with a long and successful track record at the amateur, international and professional levels. He has spent the better part of the last five seasons with the New York Rangers as assistant coach. Prior to joining the Rangers, he had worked as an assistant to Jacques Martin with the Ottawa Senators, from 1996 to 2004.

*From Canadiens.com

Pierre Groulx

pierregroulx.jpg

Position: Assistant and Goaltending Coach

-Appointed goaltending coach on July 6, 2009, Pierre Groulx spent the past four seasons with the Florida Panthers organization under head coach and general manager Jacques Martin, as well as Peter DeBoer during the 2008-09 season.

Groulx began his career at the professional level in Ottawa, where he spent five seasons as the Senators video coach. He was also a member of the coaching staff for Team Canada at the 2005 World Hockey Championship held in Austria.

*From Canadiens.com

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So I know everyone loves Kirk Muller here, but since he took over the power play, it has been abominable, from preseason through the first five games of the regular season. We came up empty again tonight on five chances. Not having Markov should not be an excuse for the PP unit to do zero night after night.

So I know everyone loves Kirk Muller here, but since he took over the power play, it has been abominable, from preseason through the first five games of the regular season. We came up empty again tonight on five chances. Not having Markov should not be an excuse for the PP unit to do zero night after night.

Who was responsible for the PP before?

i think that Pierre Groulx needs to work with price on his glove hand

They have been. They've been working on Price keeping his glove hand higher than he's had it before. The second goal went above his glove and the second one went right under it lol. I'm sure they'll continue to work on it. To their credit though, yesterday was the first game where I was like hmmm that glove hand looks suspect. He's been pretty decent with it so far this season, just got beat a couple of times last night.

I believe it was Pearn last year, though I could be wrong. Jarvis was in charge the year before.

I could be wrong weep, but I thought Muller also was in charge of our PP last year as well. It had it's ups and downs, but for the most part has been our one strong point for the last 5 years. I'm not too worried yet, 20 games in and we're still struggling to net em while on the man advantage and I'll be concerned.

For now, I feel they're testing the waters and trying to change things up, so they don't become predictable-a predictable pp is the easiest PP to defend against.

I could be wrong weep, but I thought Muller also was in charge of our PP last year as well. It had it's ups and downs, but for the most part has been our one strong point for the last 5 years. I'm not too worried yet, 20 games in and we're still struggling to net em while on the man advantage and I'll be concerned.

For now, I feel they're testing the waters and trying to change things up, so they don't become predictable-a predictable pp is the easiest PP to defend against.

Last year Pearn was in charge of the PP and Kirk the PK. They switched it up this year.

Last year Pearn was in charge of the PP and Kirk the PK. They switched it up this year.

Maybe we should just let Pearn handle the special teams huh :mellow:

I kid...I'll give it a few more games, but they've got to start cashing in at some point my lord.

• 3 weeks later...

So, can we get a slow clap for Kirk Muller, Most Overrated Assistant Coach in the NHL? He's managed to destroy our once-vaunted power play in the space of a few short months. Not only are we not scoring, but we don't look ready to do anything efficiently with the man advantage. We're sloppy entering the zone; it takes us forever to establish possession; our point shots don't get through; our possession down low is terrible; and the forwards can't hit open nets on rebounds.

What exactly does Kirk Muller do, besides mess up a perfectly good special teams unit?

So, can we get a slow clap for Kirk Muller, Most Overrated Assistant Coach in the NHL? He's managed to destroy our once-vaunted power play in the space of a few short months. Not only are we not scoring, but we don't look ready to do anything efficiently with the man advantage. We're sloppy entering the zone; it takes us forever to establish possession; our point shots don't get through; our possession down low is terrible; and the forwards can't hit open nets on rebounds.

What exactly does Kirk Muller do, besides mess up a perfectly good special teams unit?

*Clap.........Clap..........Clap..........Clap*

Apparently Muller is well-liked by the players and he's a "good communicator" but I agree, enough is enough. These are essentially the same guys who were on the PP last year, and people can talk all they want about MAB not being here, but PK Subban is here and has better puck-handling skills and almost as good a shot. It's time for a change in the way the PP is set up, and sticking Cammalleri on the point is not the answer. Cammy is a close-range sniper and he should be set up in the high slot, not the blueline. AK or Pouliot or Darche or Eller (i.e. someone bigger or willing to play hard) needs to set up camp in front of the crease and let the Markovs, Subbans, and Cammalleris of this team fire away.

It took a while but the Habs finally beat out Jersey for the worst powerplay in the league. I think it's best they go back to Pearn for this but with the way management is run they'll likely stick it out with Muller.

Archived