The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Which Prospects Will Make The 2010-2011 Team?

I've been catching up on the Habs prospects in between my vomit sessions watching ESPN's Lebron watch and the thought occured to me...Which prospects actually have a legit chance, moreover who will ACTUALLY be there for Game 1?

My picks are based somewhat on age and team needs. Markov is out. So a d-man is needed. We also need 2 forwards as spare or an 8th d-man. I'm assuming Ben Maxwell is not a guarantee, so in fact there are 4 roster spots, either 2d or 3f. So...

1 - Lars Eller

2 - David Desharnais

3 - Mathieu Carle

4 - Ryan White

I think the Habs will go with 7 defenceman. Roster will be:

Andrei - Plekanec - Cammalleri

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta

Pyatt - Boyd - Moen

Desharnais - Eller - Lapierre

Extra: Darche, White

Hamrlik - Subban

Gill - Gorges

Spacek - Carle

O'Byrne

Price

Auld

I think JM isn't sold on OB for whatever reason and IMO Carle is a better all around D than Weber and OB at this stage due to the fact he can play a regular shift and the PP which will be needed sans Markov.

I think White and Darche are great spare parts with size and won't make noise in the pressbox and will be raring to go when plugged into the lineup.

Eller will make the team to justify the trade. Desharnais deserves a chance to provide instant offence and a new look to the second PP unit in Metropolit's spot occasionally.

What do you think?

In:

Eller

Pyatt

White

Hamilton:

Pacioretty

Desharnais

Maxwell

Trotter

Weber

Carle

I don't see JM feeling like he needs that 7th D-man using up a roster spot and cap space knowing he won't play. He'll keep 7D once Markov is back, barring a trade or another injury at that time. If there is a 7th guy, it's unlikely to be Weber, who needs to play minutes. Ditto for Pacioretty and Maxwell, who both showed they aren't ready. Darche and Boyd are in. Pyatt is almost a lock. Eller and White likely trump Desharnais and Trotter and Palushaj based on better combination of speed and size.

I think these players will make the team out of camp:

Pyatt

White

Eller

Pacioretty

Subban.

and the lines (with Markov) would look like:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta

AK-Plekanec-Cammy

Pacioretty-Eller-Boyd

Moen-Lapierre-Pyatt

Markov-Subban

Hamrlik-Spacek

Gill-Gorges

Spares-Darche,White,O'Byrne

• Lars Eller.
  • P.K. Subban (the most obvious one to make the team).
  • Mathieu Carle (reserve while Markov is injured).
  • Ryan White.
  • Max Pacioretty (possibly).

I would agree with this list. As far Pacioretty being a possibly, I agree, and think this spot should be wide open for the most talented offensive player in camp who isn't a defensive liability. This spot would be to play along side Eller and I could see guys like Desharnais and Trotter fighting Patches for it.

PK Subban is already on the team, without Markov there's zero chance of him being in Hamilton. Ditto Tom Pyatt with his play in the playoffs. No way is Pouliot taking that contract to the AHL, so he's in.

I was more curious about others that are hovering and scrapping for a spot. Max Pac is interesting but I'm not sure what role he'd have that would help him develop, he needs to find his offensive touch and then get called up IMO.

I'm gonna stick with Eller, Ryan White and Mathieu Carle but the 4th spot, if there even is one remains a mystery to me. Trotter? Desharnais? Pacioretty? Weber? Henry? Palushaj?

I hope Carle has a good camp. I'd really like to see he and OB duke it out for that 6th spot maybe a rotation between them for a while.

Edit: that 6th spot referring to Markov being on the IR.

Agreed, I just hope the kid can stay healthy and show what he's got, I feel like there is a solid defenceman in those skates that hasn't had any luck.

I would agree with this list. As far Pacioretty being a possibly, I agree, and think this spot should be wide open for the most talented offensive player in camp who isn't a defensive liability. This spot would be to play along side Eller and I could see guys like Desharnais and Trotter fighting Patches for it.

That's a good point. I always overlook Desharnais and Trotter for whatever reason. I, for some reason, get the impression that the Habs are higher on some of their other drafted talent than those two guys. I'm not sure why. :unsure:

No one has mentioned Ian Shultz who we also got in the halak trade, i see him making it because of the way he plays and his size he would be a perfect fit for the bottom 6 and i dont think Desharnais or trotter will make it because they are undersized and we are already too undersized. So i think these guys have the best shot

Eller - Gm thinks hes nhl ready so should we

Max Pac - i think he will start the year in hamilton to build confidence but will crack the roster during the season

Carle - Looked good when he played for the habs before good all around game probably will be the spare d man

White - He is a warrior and he finishes all his checks and he isnt affraid to fight

Shultz - Will challenge white for the grinder spot on the canadiens his upside is his size and he fights much more than white - 20 fights total last year including post season.

I agree that subban and pyatt are definates.

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta

AK-Plekanec-Cammy

Pyatt-Eller-Lappierre

Moen-Boyd-Darche

Markov-Subban

Hamrlik-Spacek

Gill-Gorges

O'byrne will be in while markov is out and carle will be the 7th

Look for max pac, white and shultz to compete for Darches spot

The prospects that stay in the Habs lineup will be the ones with great skills first and in best shape second. Pacioretty will probably be in the best shape.Eller has sick skills so he'll be there, after that it should be a dogfight for the next position.Subban is a given.

Would love to see a guy like Schultz on the team but he's just out of junior and frankly the Canadiens have never been a team to fast-track younger players to the NHL, even their talented ones. The ones they have recently haven't panned out that well (Latendresse, Pacioretty, Price), so I doubt Schultz gets that chance. Plus, JM is not a fan of enforcers so Schultz will have to do more than just fight to make it into the line-up.

Would love to see a guy like Schultz on the team but he's just out of junior and frankly the Canadiens have never been a team to fast-track younger players to the NHL, even their talented ones. The ones they have recently haven't panned out that well (Latendresse, Pacioretty, Price), so I doubt Schultz gets that chance. Plus, JM is not a fan of enforcers so Schultz will have to do more than just fight to make it into the line-up.

I agree with you but maybe JM had a epiphany when we played philly and realized that you need guys like him(especially in the playoffs) to win games. He is just out of junior but he is 20 and hes got plenty of size which the habs need.

Totally agree. I know it was a crazy thought and you proved it to me :D

Hopefully White makes the team to give us some toughness. Maybe in a year or two both Schultz and White will be playing for the Habs. There both big and tough and they both could score a few timely goals you love to see coming from the 3rd and 4th liners.

Andreas Enqvist is another prospect that has the potential to steal a spot on the Habs roster. There is a lot of potential in our prospects for the first time in three decades. I love it the Habs are getting back to what made them great in the 50's 60's and 70's. Go Habs Go!!

Totally agree. I know it was a crazy thought and you proved it to me :D

Hopefully White makes the team to give us some toughness. Maybe in a year or two both Schultz and White will be playing for the Habs. There both big and tough and they both could score a few timely goals you love to see coming from the 3rd and 4th liners.

What about Conboy? Projected to be a 3rd/4th liner, big, physical and a good skater.

Does anyone but me want to see Desharnais on a line with eller and a big winger as the 4th line? I am terribly aware of our pint sized lineup but I'm equally aware of our offensive ineptitude and this kid has shown an offensive flair that is deserving of a shot IMO. He could be a spark for 8-10 mins a game and spot PP time, especially if given big linemates like Eller and Lapierre or White.

Archived