The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Which Prospects Will Make The 2010-2011 Team?

• 2 weeks later...

Avtsyn, will not be on the team this year, it wouldn't make any sense to have him leapfrog players that are much closer to NHL ready. I'd let him marinate in the AHL for a year and give him a shot next season, he should not even be a call-up this season. We have lots of players ahead of him and in spite of all our skepticism he certainly is not ready to beat out AK and BP for a top 6 spot and he's not the kind of player we'd want to stick on the 4th line for 8 mins a night.

Someone posted an article somewhere else on the board mentioning that Mathieu Carle and Brock Trotter would have to clear waivers if they get send down out of training camp. Does this give them an edge in making the team this October?

well you can look at it from 2 sides one way it does cuz the habs dont want to put 2 great prospects on waivers. but on the other hand its a disadvantage cuz if they make the team then they start not doing good you cant send them down without goin on waivers

Someone posted an article somewhere else on the board mentioning that Mathieu Carle and Brock Trotter would have to clear waivers if they get send down out of training camp. Does this give them an edge in making the team this October?

I think I was that someone else ;)

If you've listened to talk from the GM then perhaps Eller and Boyd do make the team from the get go... Shultz, Avtsin may get a look but are more likely to play in Hamilton. According to TSN's McKenzie both Desharnais and Trotter could make the jump. Trotter and Carle having one way contracts would suggest they have to make it or could be stuck in Hamilton... or are offered up in a trade perhaps. I think both Weber and Pacioretty had their chances and may have fallen down the depth charts. White, Enqvist and anyone else would have to be the best players out of camp to make it IMO.

Desharnais, Trotter and Carle make sense to me... with Markov on LTIR to start the season and with both Pouliot and Kostitsyn under the gun, Desharnais and Trotter do represent the best offensive players available (and they both were highest in terms of +/- after only Subban while playing with the Dogs... so they did learn a two-way game under Boucher it seems).

I would be good with this... Eller, Boyd, Carle, Trotter and Desharnais... with either Enqvist (size) and White (toughness) having and outside chance to steal on of those spots. Pyatt and Subban are there for sure.

well you can look at it from 2 sides one way it does cuz the habs dont want to put 2 great prospects on waivers. but on the other hand its a disadvantage cuz if they make the team then they start not doing good you cant send them down without goin on waivers

But isn't true that if they've cleared waivers and are recalled they dont have to clear waivers again unless they played more than 10 NHL games?

Good question... but to lose them for nothing went they are sent down would be counter productive IMO. Is it worth the risk?

I'm going with Eller, Pacioretty, and Avtsin for later in the year, after Christmas. I believe that Schultz has an outside chance of being on the 4th line straight out of pre-season.

I think I was that someone else ;)

If you've listened to talk from the GM then perhaps Eller and Boyd do make the team from the get go... Shultz, Avtsin may get a look but are more likely to play in Hamilton. According to TSN's McKenzie both Desharnais and Trotter could make the jump. Trotter and Carle having one way contracts would suggest they have to make it or could be stuck in Hamilton... or are offered up in a trade perhaps. I think both Weber and Pacioretty had their chances and may have fallen down the depth charts. White, Enqvist and anyone else would have to be the best players out of camp to make it IMO.

Desharnais, Trotter and Carle make sense to me... with Markov on LTIR to start the season and with both Pouliot and Kostitsyn under the gun, Desharnais and Trotter do represent the best offensive players available (and they both were highest in terms of +/- after only Subban while playing with the Dogs... so they did learn a two-way game under Boucher it seems).

I would be good with this... Eller, Boyd, Carle, Trotter and Desharnais... with either Enqvist (size) and White (toughness) having and outside chance to steal on of those spots. Pyatt and Subban are there for sure.

There you go! It was brianw6! :D Capgeek has Mathieu Carle as having a two-way contract, but perhaps there's some other reason for his having to go through waivers should he be sent down (age possibly, or perhaps the number of years he has been signed to a pro deal already?). Trotter is currently not signed, but I assume that will happen soon as he is a RFA.

Does anyone but me want to see Desharnais on a line with eller and a big winger as the 4th line? I am terribly aware of our pint sized lineup but I'm equally aware of our offensive ineptitude and this kid has shown an offensive flair that is deserving of a shot IMO. He could be a spark for 8-10 mins a game and spot PP time, especially if given big linemates like Eller and Lapierre or White.

I agree I think this kid should be givin a shot. He has produced on every level he has played. St. Louis/Kane ect. I hate to see talent held back because of size. If the kid plays smart and has this much offensive talent why not give the kid a try. I'm older but I remember when all the "hockey" people said a kid named Gretsky would never make it or last because he was to skinny. I know he is small but that sure didn't hurt Kane playing against Philly/San Jose or anybody else.

Eller definitely

Pyatt probably since he has a 1way contract now

Subban but he has to develop more his defensive side more with Gill or Hamrlik on 2nd or 3rd line.

Pacioretty might make the roster since he's been said he has secured a roster spot for this season, but I wouldn't want the organization to rush his development again this season

White I wanna see but I still think he's still got alot of work for him to do.

Maxwell I guess will be in the press box but he has shown he plays well with Darche.

Weber might get some ice time but still need to develop his defensive side in order to compete for a roster spot.

Palushaj just got through his 1st year of his entry level contract so I don't see any need for him to be rushed in the roster spot, plus we already have alot of playmakers as it is.

Carle? Maybe as a 1st line d-men in Hamilton.

Eller definitely

Pyatt probably since he has a 1way contract now

Subban but he has to develop more his defensive side more with Gill or Hamrlik on 2nd or 3rd line.

Pacioretty might make the roster since he's been said he has secured a roster spot for this season, but I wouldn't want the organization to rush his development again this season

White I wanna see but I still think he's still got alot of work for him to do.

Maxwell I guess will be in the press box but he has shown he plays well with Darche.

Weber might get some ice time but still need to develop his defensive side in order to compete for a roster spot.

Palushaj just got through his 1st year of his entry level contract so I don't see any need for him to be rushed in the roster spot, plus we already have alot of playmakers as it is.

Carle? Maybe as a 1st line d-men in Hamilton.

Where has the bolded part concerning Pacioretty been reported?

I see some people listing a lot of young players to make the team or as potentials but keep in mind there are not many roster spots available;

Andrei - Plekanec - Cammy

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta

Pyatt - Boyd - Moen

____ - ____ - Lapierre

Darche, _____

Gill - Gorges

Hamrlik - Subban

Spacek - O'Byrne

_____

Price

Auld

For me Eller is a lock. So, there are really 2 remaining forward slots and 1 defenceman slot, until Markov comes back.

I predict those 2 slots go to David Desharnais and Ryan White and the D slot to Mathieu Carle. I can see Aaron Palushaj and Max Pacioretty both challenging for a spot but I think Desharnais skill and will is capable of beating them out and I hope Habs management is wise enough to recognize the value of a bruiser like Ryan White on the roster for Leafs, Bruins and Flyers games etc...rather than players like Palushaj and Pacioretty who don't add as much as 4th liners.

Does anyone but me want to see Desharnais on a line with eller and a big winger as the 4th line? I am terribly aware of our pint sized lineup but I'm equally aware of our offensive ineptitude and this kid has shown an offensive flair that is deserving of a shot IMO. He could be a spark for 8-10 mins a game and spot PP time, especially if given big linemates like Eller and Lapierre or White.

Sorry that I'm about two weeks late commenting on this, but I would love to see Desharnais given a shot.

To me (if he plays well) he could kind of be our Metropolit v. 2.0 (now younger and cheaper!). What you've described (8-10 minutes a night and some PP time now and again) is pretty much exactly how we used Glen last year to great effect.

Sorry that I'm about two weeks late commenting on this, but I would love to see Desharnais given a shot.

To me (if he plays well) he could kind of be our Metropolit v. 2.0 (now younger and cheaper!). What you've described (8-10 minutes a night and some PP time now and again) is pretty much exactly how we used Glen last year to great effect.

Exactly! That is what I was alluding too, plus he also offers the "feel-good' aspect to his story much like Glen and IMO has more top end offensive upside while being younger and cheaper. I keep willing him into the lineup but I almost feel it makes too much sense for Habs management to try him alongside 2 bigger players. Plus, with Darche being signed and Eller/Boyd guaranteed roster spots it will be easier to push him back down to the 'Dogs and plug White, Wyman or Pacioretty's size in. It's the safe move because you add size to the 4th line but IMO it represents a downgrade in talent.

So, for now I am willing to take a job as a board member in David Desharnais fan club.

I'm also part of the Ryan White fan club but with much less of a hands on approach ;)

I'm still amazed at how people seem to pass over Brock Trotter yet seem interested in Desharnais and others :unsure::blink:

Don't get me wrong... I think Desharnais deserves a shot too.

But Brock was second only to P.K. Subban in terms of +/- (+33), scored the most goals (36) and had one point less (77) than Desharnais (78), He is bigger (3" taller at 5' 10" and 180 LBS.) and shoots right... as compaired to Desharnais (5' 7" 177LBS.) who is smaller and shoots left.

RFA and still unsigned as is Carey Price for some reason... dosn't it have you questioning why? Could he be that last player to be given a roster spot?

I'm still amazed at how people seem to pass over Brock Trotter yet seem interested in Desharnais and others :unsure::blink:

Don't get me wrong... I think Desharnais deserves a shot too.

But Brock was second only to P.K. Subban in terms of +/- (+33), scored the most goals (36) and had one point less (77) than Desharnais (78), He is bigger (3" taller at 5' 10" and 180 LBS.) and shoots right... as compaired to Desharnais (5' 7" 177LBS.) who is smaller and shoots left.

RFA and still unsigned as is Carey Price for some reason... dosn't it have you questioning why? Could he be that last player to be given a roster spot?

Pacioretty has been compressed or mismanaged so Trotter has more of a chance to make the main roster, if only an outside chance.

Seemingly all moot points now that Trotter is heading to Russia. Should open the door a touch more for guys like Desharnais, Pacioretty, and White for the 13th and 14th forward spots though. Too bad about trotter, he definitely had some potential.

Archived