The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Niklas Hjalmarsson Offer Sheet

TSNBobMcKenzie I am not working, but I can tell you TSN's Gord Miller reports San Jose has signed Niklas Hjalmarsson to a four-year, $14M offer sheet.

CHI has seven days to match. Back to vacation.

Chicago is soo close to the cap. THis was a GREAT move by the Sharks... WHat do you guys think

Niklas Hjalmarsson was making 666k last season

Well it was expected I would say. Id let San Jose have him for a 1st and a 3rd, there will be some good bottom-pair defencemen coming to play for Chicago next season for way cheaper and they have a stud top pair still with an overpaid but good player in Campbell. He is probably a decent top 4 guy but Id rather have the picks. The only way they match is by sending Huet to the minors, which theyll do anyways most likely.

Plus I really dont think San Jose will do well next season, they are at the cap right now with a weaker team than last year (minus Setoguchi(well theyll probably sign him eventually)/Blake/Malhotra/Nabokov, plus Nittymaki and Hjalmarsson) that pick might be somewhere around 10-15th overall (yes thats right they might miss the playoffs).

This means Hawks would have 8 picks in the first three rounds next years draft (SJ's 1st and 3rd, Toronto's 3rd, Calgary's 2nd and Atlanta's 2nd plus their own top 3 picks).

Hawks should try to do Campbell + their 1st round pick in 2011 for Kaberle.

Overpay much? :lol: San Jose probably could have gotten him for less. Chicago wouldn't have been able to match a $3 million offer sheet.

IMHO its the only way you can actually make an offer sheet work. Offer someone a reasonable contract & the team will match. Even if they dont immediately have the money, they will move players or drop them to make it. I mean usually the cap hit isnt so much greater than they had already planned, so its not like you werent close to having enough money to match.

Its a double whammy though - you end up with a guy making too much against the cap and losing valuable picks, so you'd better REALLY want the guy.

IMHO its the only way you can actually make an offer sheet work. Offer someone a reasonable contract & the team will match. Even if they dont immediately have the money, they will move players or drop them to make it. I mean usually the cap hit isnt so much greater than they had already planned, so its not like you werent close to having enough money to match.

Its a double whammy though - you end up with a guy making too much against the cap and losing valuable picks, so you'd better REALLY want the guy.

Its kind of a lose lose situation. You get an overpaid contract and lose your #1 pick + others. Weird management.

Its kind of a lose lose situation. You get an overpaid contract and lose your #1 pick + others. Weird management.

Well like i said, it depends on how high you value the prospect. If you think he's a legitimate #1 defensman waiting to happen, maybe you take the risk (draft picks - even first rounders - still fail more often than they succeed). However, Im not sure Hjalmarsson will ever be that good. He's big, strong, young & mobile but imho he projects out more like a Roman Hamrlik (still very good & serviceable) than a Chris Pronger.

Well like i said, it depends on how high you value the prospect. If you think he's a legitimate #1 defensman waiting to happen, maybe you take the risk (draft picks - even first rounders - still fail more often than they succeed). However, Im not sure Hjalmarsson will ever be that good. He's big, strong, young & mobile but imho he projects out more like a Roman Hamrlik (still very good & serviceable) than a Chris Pronger.

They're definitely counting on the Hawks Cap problems. The question now is,,,,are there other teams out there willing to give up their 1st and 3rd pick for this kid at that salary? I imagine the Hawks will do some searching with the idea of a possible match and trade in the hopes of doing better. Maybe even a package deal out there for them.

They have 7 days to kick some tires.

Shall we start the countdown as to how long it takes the media in Toronto to run to Burke for his valued :rolleyes: opinion on this deal?? I'm willing to bet their knocking at his door as i type this :lol:

If thats the case Kind of Like Roman Hamrlik then id wish we would have made this offer, We could have really used him as we will be losing Hammers services after next season.and Hammer has been AMAZING for our team...

I don't know Hjalmarsson enough to say if this is overpaying him, but smart move to go after a Hawks player. The Hawks know if they match they better have a plan to move other bodies or trade Hjalmarsson (and get more than a 1st and a 3rd: or at least more than the Sharks 1st and 3rd - or they would have been better off letting him go). Whereas some other teams could probably match without having to think it through quite as much. For the Hawks, matching isn't bad just for having a bad contract and not gaining the picks, but also since they will need to move bodies to gain the cap space.

I don't know Hjalmarsson enough to say if this is overpaying him, but smart move to go after a Hawks player. The Hawks know if they match they better have a plan to move other bodies or trade Hjalmarsson (and get more than a 1st and a 3rd: or at least more than the Sharks 1st and 3rd - or they would have been better off letting him go). Whereas some other teams could probably match without having to think it through quite as much. For the Hawks, matching isn't bad just for having a bad contract and not gaining the picks, but also since they will need to move bodies to gain the cap space.

Someone informed me by PM that you can't trade players after you match an offer sheet for one year. So disregard that part of it.

If thats the case Kind of Like Roman Hamrlik then id wish we would have made this offer, We could have really used him as we will be losing Hammers services after next season.and Hammer has been AMAZING for our team...

Well sure, but: 1) he is projected to a roman hamrlik type - he isnt one yet - and 2) the contract is for a lot of money & if the hawks dont match, the sharks lose two good picks for him, so its not a move without its risks.

Someone informed me by PM that you can't trade players after you match an offer sheet for one year. So disregard that part of it.

Does that apply to both the trading and receiving teams?? If it does,,, then that changes stratagy.

I hope to see more offer sheets like this to come

Its highly unlikely. They're rare and for many reasons.

Your most likely, grosely overpaying for a long term deal in order for the other team not to match,, plus your giving up a lot of futures in order to get the player you want. If you really want a player badly,, then its possible to do but not without incurring a lot of pain ( unlike signing a UFA).

:lol::lol: They matched! I would have taken the draft picks in this situation. Hjalmarsson can no longer be traded for one year, correct?

At least until the end of the calendar year. For some reason I believe the ban lifts some time in January, but I have no evidence to back up this gut feeling. Maybe someone has a link to support or refute?

At least until the end of the calendar year. For some reason I believe the ban lifts some time in January, but I have no evidence to back up this gut feeling. Maybe someone has a link to support or refute?

My gut says the same thing; it would be awfully restrictive to deny a team the right to trade a player signed under these circumstances for the entire season.

Archived