The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Alexander Avstin Signs With The Habs For 3 Years

He'll need at least two years in Hamilton IMO but he's been playing against men in the KHL which plays in his favor.

Tough to say.

I definitely dont see him making any kind of impact this year, but 2 years from now is not out of the question. As you've noted, he's been playing with men in a relatively competitive league, so its possible he wont be as green as most 19 year olds.

Either way, good to see him signed.

I see that Desharnais also signed a 1 year contract. He's an enigma - really good numbers in the AHL but seems unable to translate those into the bigs. He's scored 139 pts in 148 games in the AHL - including 78pts in 60 games last year - thats a very good pace, even for the AHL. (23 pts in 19 games in the playoffs was pretty damned nice too).

So, how long till the masses put unrealistic expectations on this poor kid?

and How many Journalists will cite the article that compared him to a Ovechkin-lite over the next year? I hope he produces, and am very hopefull he becomes a top-6 winger. It'll be a while though. He wasnt exactly on-fire last year, but, as has been mentioned, a years worth of professional seasoning, playing with men at his age has to be worth something.

Welcome to Montreal, and hopefully he can handle the Mesiah mantle he will undoubtedly get labelled at one point or another!

Tough to say.

I definitely dont see him making any kind of impact this year, but 2 years from now is not out of the question. As you've noted, he's been playing with men in a relatively competitive league, so its possible he wont be as green as most 19 year olds.

Either way, good to see him signed.

I see that Desharnais also signed a 1 year contract. He's an enigma - really good numbers in the AHL but seems unable to translate those into the bigs. He's scored 139 pts in 148 games in the AHL - including 78pts in 60 games last year - thats a very good pace, even for the AHL. (23 pts in 19 games in the playoffs was pretty damned nice too).

I don't know that he's really been given an adequate opportunity to translate it into the bigs. Not that I really blame management; where do you slot him in at on the Habs roster without wasting his talent/development? The answer to me, if we think he's ready, is playing with Eller and someone else (preferably someone else who isn't small) on the 3rd line.

Will be interesting to see him on a line with Desharnais and Trotter in Hamilton or with Maxwell or whomever as a top 6 in Hamilton, I'm curious to see if a year playing in the defensive-minded KHL will translate into him feeling unchained with the Bulldogs. The team is good and he should have skilled linemates regardless if he's first or second line.

Also, moving forward I think having him, Leblanc, Eller, Kristo, Schultz in the lineup by 2012-2013 is not unrealistic.

I don't know that he's really been given an adequate opportunity to translate it into the bigs. Not that I really blame management; where do you slot him in at on the Habs roster without wasting his talent/development? The answer to me, if we think he's ready, is playing with Eller and someone else (preferably someone else who isn't small) on the 3rd line.

Exactly. Preferably a line of Desharnais, Eller and Lapierre could really be interesting to see. White, would fit better because of his willingness to drop the gloves but I think Lapierre is big enough, experienced, modestly skilled and good enough along the boards to compliment 2 young players, he'd have to drop the gloves occasionally though to help them avoid getting roughed up.

Would you say the same if he came from other European major leagues? (Elitserien, SM-liiga, Czech/Slovak Extraliga)

Don't know. Possibly. The quality of competition in the KHL is pretty good and it's grown men he's playing, not boys. I don't know enough about the other European leagues to say.

So, how long till the masses put unrealistic expectations on this poor kid?

and How many Journalists will cite the article that compared him to a Ovechkin-lite over the next year? I hope he produces, and am very hopefull he becomes a top-6 winger. It'll be a while though. He wasnt exactly on-fire last year, but, as has been mentioned, a years worth of professional seasoning, playing with men at his age has to be worth something.

Welcome to Montreal, and hopefully he can handle the Mesiah mantle he will undoubtedly get labelled at one point or another!

It was actually about 2-3 month's of seasoning with men in the KHL he had just started to contribute when he had his wrist injured, wake up call KHL style. It appears the wrist is still a concern, but his signing should be a testament to his ability to heal and be able to play come September 2010.

Archived