The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Favourite Player Of The Decade?

Guest Carey_Price

WHAT????? :blink:

GM I believe?

Nope, as a player.

It was the early 90's. Serge Savard, several years after his tenure as a GM here was up confirmed this.

I dont know if they've ever hammered out all the details, but the deal was supposed to be something like this:

Shayne Corson

Brent Gilchrist

Russ Courtnall

for

Steve Yzerman

And believe it or not: it was Montreal who declined the deal!!!

Apparently the big stumbling block for Savard was Gilchrist. Which of course is ridiculous now because he was traded the very next year (with Corson) to Edmonton for Damphousse.

The thinking behind the deal was that Steve Yzerman was a "soft player" who never "did anything" in the post season. :) Boy I bet Detroit is glad they woke up from this. :)

For those that are now ripping out hair, do remember one thing: no one has a crystal ball & while Yzerman was already a 100+ player, Corson, Courtnall AND Gilchrist were all coming off 60+ point seasons. All had been (or had the potential for) PPG years. These were 3 very solid players for one elite one. Detroit badly needed depth and Yzerman was falling out of favor there. In Montreal the media was building Gilchrist into the next Guy Carbonneau (and he was a great 2 way player) and he was coming off of a breakout year (50pts in 79games as one of the teams' best defensive players) and was only 24. Corson was in his prime and envy of every team - the type of guy who could fight anyone and still chip in 70+ points in a season on your top line. Courtnall had been one of our best players for a few years (although he was coming off of an injury plagued year).

In hindsight it looks insane we didnt take the deal (especially considering all 3 were gone by the next year!!) but hindsight is 50/50 and no one could predict how all 4 careers would pan out.

Nope, as a player.

It was the early 90's. Serge Savard, several years after his tenure as a GM here was up confirmed this.

I dont know if they've ever hammered out all the details, but the deal was supposed to be something like this:

Shayne Corson

Brent Gilchrist

Russ Courtnall

for

Steve Yzerman

Apparently the big stumbling block for Savard was Gilchrist. Which of course is ridiculous now because he was traded the very next year (with Corson) to Edmonton for Damphousse.

The thinking behind the deal was that Steve Yzerman was a "soft player" who never "did anything" in the post season. :) Boy I bet Detroit is glad they woke up from this. :)

For those that are now ripping out hair, do remember one thing: no one has a crystal ball & while Yzerman was already a 100+ player, Corson, Courtnall AND Gilchrist were all coming off 60+ point seasons. All had been (or had the potential for) PPG years. These were 3 very solid players for one elite one. Detroit badly needed depth and Yzerman was falling out of favor there. In Montreal the media was building Gilchrist into the next Guy Carbonneau (and he was a great 2 way player) and he was coming off of a breakout year (50pts in 79games as one of the teams' best defensive players) and was only 24. Corson was in his prime and envy of every team - the type of guy who could fight anyone and still chip in 70+ points in a season on your top line. Courtnall had been one of our best players for a few years (although he was coming off of an injury plagued year).

In hindsight it looks insane we didnt take the deal (especially considering all 3 were gone by the next year!!) but hindsight is 50/50 and no one could predict how all 4 careers would pan out.

I don't remember this jedi thanks for sharing with us.

I pull out some hair every time I think about some of the trades that happened in the 90's and this non trade.

Thanks for reminding me about this Jedi. I read that a long time ago (maybe here..maybe from you) but I could not remember the players involved besides Corson (fav Hab) I was also a big fan of both Courtnall and Gilchrist. I used to spend my Saturdays at the old Forum and all 3 of these guys were just as awesome off the ice as they were on! Great times!!

Guess it just wasn't meant to be. :mellow:

I wonder if Stevie Y even knows about this.

Thanks for reminding me about this Jedi. I read that a long time ago (maybe here..maybe from you) but I could not remember the players involved besides Corson (fav Hab) I was also a big fan of both Courtnall and Gilchrist. I used to spend my Saturdays at the old Forum and all 3 of these guys were just as awesome off the ice as they were on! Great times!!

Well my own memory is a bit fuzzy too. I do know it Corson for Yzerman was the primary and that Gilchrist was the main "stumbling block." I dont remember if Courtnall was the third guy or not, but I know it was someone coming off of injury so I my gut tells me it was him.

Its tough to remember things before the internet as there's no way to "look them up" anymore!! :P ha.

Well my own memory is a bit fuzzy too. I do know it Corson for Yzerman was the primary and that Gilchrist was the main "stumbling block." I dont remember if Courtnall was the third guy or not, but I know it was someone coming off of injury so I my gut tells me it was him.

Its tough to remember things before the internet as there's no way to "look them up" anymore!! :P ha.

:lol: I hear ya!

time before the internet???.... hmmm.... :P

Nope, as a player.

Shayne Corson

Brent Gilchrist

Russ Courtnall

for

Steve Yzerman

Nice that's a story I've never heard or read before, not that I've read everything about the Habs but I love hearing this kind of story. thanks

For off ice reasons, Saku Koivu, hands down.

For on ice reasons, Vinny LeCav. I think he's always been a really fun player to watch. He's kind of simmered down, but he's always drawn me to the game.

I also really liked Zednik, mainly his stride when he skated. He was never a superstar, but I was always drawn to his style of play.

5. Vinny Lecavalier - great hands with a bit of a mean streak

4. Jaromir Jagr - Left me shaking my head (in amazment) at the dekes he's pulled

3. Peter Forsberg - Toughest player with the softest hands

2. Joe Sakic - just the best all-round player - I don't think he had any flaws

1. Pavel Bure - the only player that every gave me butterflies whenever he had the puck - the things he could do at full speed, I haven't seen anyone come close to doing yet (not even Ovi)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carey_Price

Forgot about Forsberg lol, i'll add him in there too. Roy didn't really have much of a decade, he was more of a 90s player to me so i wouldn't say he was one of the best and he deffs wasn't one of my favourites even though he won a cup in the 3 years he played in the new millenium.

• 10 months later...

Archived