The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Hab's Heritage Classic Game

Guest Carey_Price

Guest Carey_Price

Wow was I unaware of such big news or what lol. Apparently the habs are playing the Calgary Flames on February 20th, the Canadiens' second outdoor game, the first one being in 2003. I didn't see a thread about this (if there is one, sorry mods!) but is anyone els excited about this? I remember seeing the first one and i was like 'oh my god this is so cool'. it was all pretty exciting, the first ever outdoor experience for the NHL, bad ice, the awesome Jose Theodore picture. I remember watching the Penguins and Sabres outdoor game last year too and it was just so neat, the horrible ice that made it more challenging, and how Crosby had to try carrying the puck by bouncing it on his stick cause it wouldn't slide so well on the ice, and the shootout at the end! Is anyone else excited about this one?

On a side note...Weren't the Pens and Caps playing the NHL winter classic outside? Or are there two of them this year?

Wow was I unaware of such big news or what lol. Apparently the habs are playing the Calgary Flames on February 20th, the Canadiens' second outdoor game, the first one being in 2003. I didn't see a thread about this (if there is one, sorry mods!) but is anyone els excited about this? I remember seeing the first one and i was like 'oh my god this is so cool'. it was all pretty exciting, the first ever outdoor experience for the NHL, bad ice, the awesome Jose Theodore picture. I remember watching the Penguins and Sabres outdoor game last year too and it was just so neat, the horrible ice that made it more challenging, and how Crosby had to try carrying the puck by bouncing it on his stick cause it wouldn't slide so well on the ice, and the shootout at the end! Is anyone else excited about this one?

On a side note...Weren't the Pens and Caps playing the NHL winter classic outside? Or are there two of them this year?

there are two... the caps @ pens game is the winter classic on new years day and the habs @ flames game was added by the league to please fans north of the border

Is there any difference between this jersey and the regular jersey? Except for the patch that is. I really don't see any differences at all. I'm really disappointed because Calgary gets this all new jersey and we always use the same one. Don't get me wrong it never gets old but just for once I wish they would use a different one, or at least use one of the centennial jerseys again, those were awesome, especially the 1909 version.

there are two... the caps @ pens game is the winter classic on new years day and the habs @ flames game was added by the league to please fans north of the border

Well, if they wanted to please Canadian fans, they should have had the game in Winnepeg with the Coyotes playing the Habs......lol.....or the could have had the game played in Quebec City with the Predators playing the Habs.....lol

That would have really fanned the flames....no pun intended.

Why is it when the habs play an outdoor game they call it a heritage classic, but with all the other teams, they call it a winter classic?

I think it's because we're Canadian...I call discrimination!...Or, it's because we're 100 years old...loll

Why don't we make a future All-Star Game an outdoor game? It seemed to have worked for the NBA...

That's actually not a bad idea MR... Honestly, I like the outdoor games, but not sure if it should count as a regular season game. It's not like playing in an arena, with the outdoors, there are so many factors. In hockey there are only 3 periods, so even though they switch sides each period, you're playing 2 periods on one side.

Think about it, one goaltender may have the sun in his eyes through 2 periods, meanwhile the defending goaltender has it for only 1 period. Or, one team may have the wind at their backs, helping to propel the puck and even the skaters... Let's not forget the team that has to skate and shoot into the wind, may sound like trivial stuff, but it can make the difference between winning and losing.

I love the outdoor games, but this is an issue that's always bothered me.

That's actually not a bad idea MR... Honestly, I like the outdoor games, but not sure if it should count as a regular season game. It's not like playing in an arena, with the outdoors, there are so many factors. In hockey there are only 3 periods, so even though they switch sides each period, you're playing 2 periods on one side.

Think about it, one goaltender may have the sun in his eyes through 2 periods, meanwhile the defending goaltender has it for only 1 period. Or, one team may have the wind at their backs, helping to propel the puck and even the skaters... Let's not forget the team that has to skate and shoot into the wind, may sound like trivial stuff, but it can make the difference between winning and losing.

I love the outdoor games, but this is an issue that's always bothered me.

Those factors have very little effect on the game, the games are usually played in the early afternoon and the sun is above your head at those times and the teams get equal amount at both ends. The wind has little effect, the puck is so heavy it is hard for the wind to have any effect on it. I doubt the wind is even fast enough to push players on the ice. Either way all these factors are equal between both teams because they each play 30 min on each side. One or two games a year played outdoors I don't think is a big deal.

If you consider the last NBA All-Star Game in the Cowboys Stadium as a successful, outdoor game... then I consider that, if there was one game in the NHL that actually deserved to be played outdoors it should be the All-Star Game.

When the Habs will get its next All-Star Game and there's still an Olympic Stadium left by then, maybe get that All-Star Game in the Olympic Stadium, rather than an otherwise regular-season game.

Why did the habs have a number 11 on the jersey? Isn't that Gomez's number not Gorges'. But yeah, Calgary sort of had more vintage jersey's than us, ours just looked kinda plain <_< . Oh well its gonna be great to have a winter classic, oh ehem, sorry "Heritage Classic" this season. It's going to be fun to watch.

Why did the habs have a number 11 on the jersey? Isn't that Gomez's number not Gorges'. But yeah, Calgary sort of had more vintage jersey's than us, ours just looked kinda plain <_< . Oh well its gonna be great to have a winter classic, oh ehem, sorry "Heritage Classic" this season. It's going to be fun to watch.

Because it's going to be in the year 2011.

I'm 99% sure it's because it will take place in 2011. Akin to how all the drafted players wore number 10 for 2010.

Archived