The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Alexandre Picard

Welcome to the Habs....who are you?

Any better than MAB???

Actually... I'm not sure if it's true or not, but the word going around is that he's known for his mistakes and turnovers. I haven't had the chance to see him play (beyond a few clips), so I can't really say. I am repeating what I've heard... Guess we'll just have to wait and see for ourselves.

If the kid has size, then that's one + over MAB.

6"3" 215 pounds shoots left

Completed his fifth NHL season and first with Carolina, after being acquired from the Senators on 2/12

* Missed the final 12 games of the season with an upper-body injury

* Skated in nine games for Carolina between his acquisition and the injury, without registering a point

* Acquired from Ottawa on 2/12 along with a second-round draft pick in exchange for Matt Cullen

* Ranked third among Senators' defensemen in points (15) and tied for second in assists (11) at the time of the trade

* OFF THE RADAR: Was a member of the Philadelphia Phantoms' 2005 Calder Cup championship team along with fellow Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen

* Career Highs: G: 1 A: 5 P: 5 PIM: 7

* HURRICANES CAREER TOTALS: 9 gp, 0-0-0, 6 pim

QMJHL Second All-Star Team (2005) Traded to Tampa Bay by Philadelphia for Vaclav Prospal and future considerations, February 25, 2008.

• 2 weeks later...
Kind of excited to see him here, we seem to have a few defence prospects but he probly is 3rd or 4th on the list of that now.. not sure how well he plays in the defensive zone lets hope hes better than MAB

I'm better than MAB in the d-zone, of course I never went higher than 8th grade floor hockey with my career.

Good to hear...cause any upgrade on size on this team is a good thing. :P

Tell that to those not so fond of O'Byrne, whom i feel will hold a spot on the team. I think it will be Picard and Subban fighting for a 6th position while Markov is out, which would have my initial thoughts being Picard holding a slght advantage based on NHL experience. I do feel, however, that O'Byrne and Gill will be taking turns as healthy scratches once Markov returns. From the buisness side, i don't know what would be the best scenario for the team, when it comes time to make the decision of who stays up and who doesn't. But you are right, some added size would be good.

• 2 weeks later...
Picard is a good pickup to add depth to the overall Habs system, he will make the race for the 6th and 7th spots in the defence rotation a good one.

i think he has too much potential to let it was on being scratched and being a third line defencemen give that job to henry

• 4 weeks later...

The Habs D to start the year will feature at least Spacek, Subban, Gill, and Gorges, with the latter two likely paired together. Ryan OB should make the team in some capacity and when Markov and Hamrlik are back, that makes the core 7. However, until their return, there is one spot available, and possibly a second. After Carle's surprising demotion, the fight for that last spot is down to 3 players:

- Picard

- Weber

- Henry

Picard has been the best of the 3 thus far and brings more experience than Weber and more PP potential than Henry. However, it really depends on what role the Habs are looking to fill. The big indicator is going to be how the players are used in the last two games. If Hamr is back, I expect him to be paired with Subban in the interim, leaving the last spot open to be either the 7th guy (if OB is in the line-up) or Spacek's partner. Intriguingly, JM has been using Weber in that role to start the pre-season, but let's see if that continues in the next game. If Picard is lined up with Spacek next game, I would say that is an indication he has the inside step on the last spot.

Well I think Picard's play in the pre-season has already got him a job on the Habs blueline.

yah now with hammer out our d is stretched real thin d men for opening night might look like this

subban gill

picard georges

o bryne spacek

great d corp above its amazing what two names can change eh?

subban markov

gill georges

hammer spacek

I wonder if the fact that he is a lefthand shot helps him or hurts him?

It hurts him, but JM seems to like him anyways. if all things were equal, a righty like Weber would have had the nod. If you look at the natural righties on the D right now, you have Subban and you have OB. There is no question that side of the D needs to be shored up.

yah now with hammer out our d is stretched real thin d men for opening night might look like this

subban gill

picard georges

o bryne spacek

great d corp above its amazing what two names can change eh?

subban markov

gill georges

hammer spacek

With a full host of D back, Ryan OB is really going to have problems fitting into that line-up. As it stands, if everyone were back today, I think Picard would get the nod to stay over OB. We'll see how each deals with the opportunity over the next two weeks, as they will be vital to each to staking their claim to stay as the 7th D. Sure, the other could always get recalled later, but both have to clear waivers to go up and down, so there's no guarantee. if the Habs send OB down once markov is back, they're essentially saying they've given up on him.

With a full host of D back, Ryan OB is really going to have problems fitting into that line-up. As it stands, if everyone were back today, I think Picard would get the nod to stay over OB. We'll see how each deals with the opportunity over the next two weeks, as they will be vital to each to staking their claim to stay as the 7th D. Sure, the other could always get recalled later, but both have to clear waivers to go up and down, so there's no guarantee. if the Habs send OB down once markov is back, they're essentially saying they've given up on him.

yah well i think picard has the chance of being a 2nd line defender hes a big guy with decent puck moving skills and thats how we won alot of our games last year our d would dump and our fast forwards would chase but this year we are bigger so we can bang with bigger teams

yah well i think picard has the chance of being a 2nd line defender hes a big guy with decent puck moving skills and thats how we won alot of our games last year our d would dump and our fast forwards would chase but this year we are bigger so we can bang with bigger teams

The knock on Picard was that he was weak defensively, he has played pretty well in pre-season good enough to make the team.

I wouldnt expect too much from this guy. He has some offensive upside and can shoot. However his defensive game is lacking and throughout his years of being given chances has never really progressed as a player in the NHL. I expect him to be our spare parts for the season.

I wouldnt expect too much from this guy. He has some offensive upside and can shoot. However his defensive game is lacking and throughout his years of being given chances has never really progressed as a player in the NHL. I expect him to be our spare parts for the season.

i disagree he now has he chance to playwith the best team in hockey history and the second best team in sports..... i predict hell jump at this

Archived