• Taylor Hall (Edmonton Oilers)
    • Tyler Seguin (Boston Bruins)
    • PK Subban (Montreal Canadiens)
    • Lars Eller (Montreal Canadiens)
    • Magnus Svensson (Edmonton Oilers)
    • Erik Gudbranson (Florida Panthers)
    • Other (Please Specify)

I am going to go out on a limb here & say Lars Eller wins it - and here's why:

1. I believe that Edmonton will have several great rookies & young players but that they will a) not be enough support for one another and B) cancel one another out in the voting.

2. I believe that after time in the Swedish Elite league & then a solid AHL campaign last year, Eller will be ready this year.

3. I believe that one of Pouliot or AK (my gut says the latter) will lose their spot in the top six and their loss will be Eller's gain.

4. PK will have a good, but not great rookie campaign as he works on the finer points of his defensive game.

Its probably pipe-dreaming, but I sure hope I can come back here in about 9 months & say "SEE??!!??"

I am going to go out on a limb here & say Lars Eller wins it - and here's why:

1. I believe that Edmonton will have several great rookies & young players but that they will a) not be enough support for one another and B) cancel one another out in the voting.

2. I believe that after time in the Swedish Elite league & then a solid AHL campaign last year, Eller will be ready this year.

3. I believe that one of Pouliot or AK (my gut says the latter) will lose their spot in the top six and their loss will be Eller's gain.

4. PK will have a good, but not great rookie campaign as he works on the finer points of his defensive game.

Its probably pipe-dreaming, but I sure hope I can come back here in about 9 months & say "SEE??!!??"

So do the rest of us :)

I'm not sure who to vote for, but I disagree with the notion that Hall will win just because of his draft position. That's not to say that he won't win it, but if he does he'll have to earn it.

As someone already brought up, Tavares is a great example. He actually had a pretty respectable season last year, but even with the hype surrounding him to start the year he wasn't even nominated.

I think that PK Subban is a good bet, if he plays like he did in the playoffs he will certainly be a contender. But i think its a lot harder for a defensman to win a major award (MVP, Playoff MVP, Hart Trophy, Calder) obviously other than the norris. I think this was proved when Dion didn't win the award in his rookie season, when he scored 20 goals from the point and did not win the Calder. Obviously Tyler Myers won the award this season but it came out of a year that didn't see much offense from NHL freshman. I think if Lars Eller can have a good rookie campaign, he is a decent bet for the award. But i can't see him winning it, but good luck to both Lars and PK.

I voted for PK. If he can perform with some consistency the way he did in the playoffs, he'll have a great season (naturally expecting some occasions where he's off his game, but he is a very young defenceman yet!). It's harder for D to win as has been mentioned, but again, if he plays usually like he did in the playoffs, it'll be a season hard to ignore.

Gudbranson won't win it, simply because he isn't as offensive as Tyler Myers, more of a hard hitting type.. he won't put up the points needed to get nominated. If Hall get's a lot of PP time with a guy like Ales Hemsky feeding him the puck he could easily rack up 25-30 goals, but i wouldn't bet on Hall.. as someone mentioned before, he reminds me a bit of Tavares.

Tough call, probably either Jordan Eberle who is awesome or Tyler Seguin since Boston will have some nice linemates for him.

First off the board choice would be Alex Pietrangelo from St Louis, hes been groomed to be their future #1-2 defenceman and has had lots of junior/AHL experience and is a good two-way player who can score a lot of points.

Another off the board selection would be Eric Tangradi from Pittsburgh, pretty sure he will make the team and be playing on one of the top two lines with Crosby and Malkin because of cap reasons, plus he is 6-4 221 and would be a good net presence on the powerplay.

So I voted other.

I call bias on this poll :)

I would love to see Subban win, but realistically? Probably Seguin or Hall.

:lol: Yeah i wonder why you would say bias.

But you never know the first overall hasn't won 2 years in a row now. They get so much hype and usually don't deliver too much. But although it is hard to predict, i would like to say PK Subban but in reality Hall and Seguin are a pretty good bet like you said, but you never know ;)

Pietrangelo if he plays for STL this season, if not, I am going with Gudbranson

I read Pietrangelo has already lost his rookie status (the hockey news) I don't have a link because it was in the magazine

First off the board choice would be Alex Pietrangelo from St Louis, hes been groomed to be their future #1-2 defenceman and has had lots of junior/AHL experience and is a good two-way player who can score a lot of points.

As Jagger mentioned, Pietrangelo is indeed ineligible for the calder trophy:

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played any more than 25 games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six games in each of two separate preceding seasons in any major professional league

He has played 6 games & 9 games in the last 2 seasons.

My favorites:

1. Taylor Hall

2. Magnus Paajarvi

3. John Carlson

Filatov would be the favorite but he isn't eligible. I doubt Eller gets close.

Some good choices, MP. I know we've disagreed on the ceiling Eller has, but I do think he has a solid chance at the calder (providing he cracks our top 6) because i think he may be more 'ready' than anyone else due to the fact he's been playing with men for some time now. We'll see - im sure you'd like nothing more than to be proven wrong in this case :)

Archived