The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Most Overhyped Prospects?

Mathradio

Maybe there are a few prospects that seem overhyped by a team's fans. Many teams seem to overhype at least a prospect or two. But that doesn't mean that they are overrated.

In no particular order:

Magnus Paajarvi-Svenson

Nikita Filatov

Nazem Kadri

Lars Eller

Louis Leblanc

Jarred Tinordi

Max Pacioretty

Nino Niederreiter

Maybe there are a few prospects that seem overhyped by a team's fans. Many teams seem to overhype at least a prospect or two. But that doesn't mean that they are overrated.

In no particular order:

Magnus Paajarvi-Svenson

Nikita Filatov

Nazem Kadri

Lars Eller

Louis Leblanc

Jarred Tinordi

Max Pacioretty

Nino Niederreiter

I wouldn't call them overhyped...it's just that being a 1st round pick, they get a lot of media exposure and obviously have pressure to live up to their potentiel..

Price, without a doubt. Not a knock against his potential or skill, just that hes hyped as the savior and golden child of Montreal who will restore our cup winning glory. No pressure there!

Yes, Price is a grossly overhyped player but he is NOT a prospect!

i_like_where_this_thread_is_going_again.jpg

Maybe the OP should clarify what exactly is meant by overhyped and overrated or how to clearly distinguish between the two because I'm lost once again.

If a team overhypes a player (not sure how teams actually do that but okay), wouldn't the team have unrealistic/overblown expectations of that player, i.e. overrating him? I just don't see how you can 'overhype' a player without actually overrating him but maybe that's just me.

Overrated: the fans think the player is better than he actually is

Overhyped: the fans promote a player in excess

Going by that definition of yours, wouldn't fans in most cases overhype a player because they think he is better than he actually is?

Eberle is an example of player that is overhyped without being overrated.

That's your opinion, which is fine, but neither does your post answer my question, nor do I agree with it.

And that's not because I don't think Eberle is a very good hockey player, I just don't understand who's overhyping him and why he can be considered overhyped. What's the benchmark?

Eberle is definitely overrated IMO. Not that he doesn't project as a 1st line caliber player (as of right now I'd have him as the 3rd best Oiler prospect) but as is often the case with World Junior heroes, his name exposure has seemed to cause people to think he's better than he is or his ceiling is higher than it is.

If anyone's reply to this post contains either the word "clutch" or "leadership" they will be forever added to my ignore list :P

Eberle is definitely overrated IMO. Not that he doesn't project as a 1st line caliber player (as of right now I'd have him as the 3rd best Oiler prospect) but as is often the case with World Junior heroes, his name exposure has seemed to cause people to think he's better than he is or his ceiling is higher than it is.

I agree. World junior exploits bring more exposure than they should. Sure, it's the main center of attention during the holidays, but it's a seven game sample. Anyone can heat up at the right time, and then whammo you're up rising in the prospects lists as a result of Pierre McGuire's enthusiasm.

If anyone's reply to this post contains either the word "clutch" or "leadership" they will be forever added to my ignore list :P

clutch.

Price, without a doubt. Not a knock against his potential or skill, just that hes hyped as the savior and golden child of Montreal who will restore our cup winning glory. No pressure there!

It's terrible the amount of pressure they put on Carey... Specially with the centennial taking place around the same time. The media made it sound like some sort of miracle-We draft a goalie in the 1st round and he's brought up just before the centennial, then before he's even played a full season, fans were urged to vote for him to play in the All-Star game... His picture was posted outside the bell centre and on billboards around the city.

My gawd... Even Roy couldn't have lived up to that type of hype.

Archived