The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Sign Jeff Halpern To 1 Yr Deal

leafer4lifer1

Habs have signed free agent forward Jeff Halpern to a 1 year deal. I dont think his salary has been confirmed as of yet.

Here's the team's release:

MONTREAL -- Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced Tuesday the signing of free agent forward Jeff Halpern to a one-year contract (2010-11). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Halpern, 34, split the 2009-10 season between the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Los Angeles Kings playing a combined total of 71 games and recording 19 points (9 goals, 10 assists). He also amassed 39 penalty minutes while averaging 14:30 of time on ice. Halpern fired 71 shots on the opposing goal, scored two powerplay goals and tallied one game-winning goal.

The 6’0 and 203 lbs centreman completed his 10th NHL season in 2009-10. The Kings acquired him from Tampa Bay at the NHL trading deadline on March 3, 2010, in return for centre Teddy Purcell and a third round pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

Since he first joined the NHL in 1999-00, Halpern has amassed 316 points (131 goals, 185 assists) in 720 regular season games with Washington, Dallas, Tampa Bay and Los Angeles. He totaled 554 penalty minutes, scored 28 powerplay goals and nine shorthanded goals. He also added 12 points (6 goals, 6 assists) and 27 penalty minutes in 30 career playoff match-ups.

A native of Potomac, Maryland, Halpern is a graduate of Princeton University in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference. In four seasons with the Tigers, he registered a total of 142 points (60 goals, 82 assists). He led the league in goal scoring during the 1997-98 and the 1998-99 seasons. He was named to the ECAC Second All-Star Team both years.

This should prolly be in the Free Agency Thread.

Leave the moderating to the mod team, please.

This can remain as its own thread, just like any other time a player is actually signed to / traded from the habs. We leave it open for a few days & then direct the discussion to the respective player's thread.

why?

He's above average in the faceoff circle and is pretty good defensively. This pushes either Boyd or Eller to the wing. It's a whatever signing, not that he's not a competent bottom 6 center but it's just we appear to be building a team of guys like that.

Nice to see times are a changing here in habsville. :D

That would make him an inch taller and the same weight as Gomez, not exactly a "big" center.

lol whatever

lol..............be nice

The Habs have another trade in the works

They have to

They have so many quality propsects that could make the team this year ( Eller, Avtsin, Schultz, Tinordi , Engquist, Pacs, Palushaj , White ....) that signing Halpern takes a spot away from a prospect ..........just doesn't seem right

lol..............be nice

The Habs have another trade in the works

They have to

They have so many quality propsects that could make the team this year ( Eller, Avtsin, Schultz, Tinordi , Engquist, Pacs, Palushaj , White ....) that signing Halpern takes a spot away from a prospect ..........just doesn't seem right

Eller will/should be on the team as he's NHL ready, Pacioretty arguably could be on the team (also could use some time in Hamilton too), White is a bottom 6 grinder and the other prospects are either relatively irrelevant (guys every NHL system has in spades) or a ways away from being an NHLer ATM.

Whut? We might as well have kept Dominic Moore then. I don't get this signing.

Well he does fill a role, that's not the issue. I'm not sure if Hamilton has anyone ready to kill penalties, win 51-53% of faceoffs and score 10 goals but that's not even the issue. He can help it's just a whatever signing. He's the kind of guy floating around free agency every year.

He'll probably be under 750 K and can sit in the press box if need be.

This signing really should elicit no emotion good or bad. It's whatever.

Moore was too expensive, especially since we had not yet signed Carey and Pleky. Halpern will be less expensive by a good million and will play the role that Moore and Metro did (except PP).

Next yr when Hamrlik and Laroque's contracts are totally off the books every extra penny will help to resign Markov and the other guys on a 1 yr this season that are worth keeping.

this is pretty much what everyone else is saying. I'm guessing Jeff came very cheap, and they couldn't afford to keep Moore. I bet they could have kept Metro for the same price as they got Jeff. Maybe not quite the same but close. I'd rather have Metro's skilled hands and power play depth than picking up Tampa's scraps.

Well he does fill a role, that's not the issue. I'm not sure if Hamilton has anyone ready to kill penalties, win 51-53% of faceoffs and score 10 goals but that's not even the issue. He can help it's just a whatever signing. He's the kind of guy floating around free agency every year.

He'll probably be under 750 K and can sit in the press box if need be.

This signing really should elicit no emotion good or bad. It's whatever.

Fair enough but the question IMO is if this role can't be filled by a player currently on the roster or in Hamilton - at the same cost or even less. I have nothing against signing role players to short-term contracts if there's actually a need for it, in fact I liked the Moore signing from the get go because of Lapierre's mediocre season and nobody else being able to play the shutdown role with some consistency. This year, however, I thought we were giving guys we already have a fair shake and not go out and sign patch-jobs right at the start of the season again. Creating a competitive atmosphere in the locker room is important but I just don't see the need for this 'adjustment'.

Moore was too expensive, especially since we had not yet signed Carey and Pleky. Halpern will be less expensive by a good million and will play the role that Moore and Metro did (except PP).

Next yr when Hamrlik and Laroque's contracts are totally off the books every extra penny will help to resign Markov and the other guys on a 1 yr this season that are worth keeping.

this is pretty much what everyone else is saying. I'm guessing Jeff came very cheap, and they couldn't afford to keep Moore. I bet they could have kept Metro for the same price as they got Jeff. Maybe not quite the same but close. I'd rather have Metro's skilled hands and power play depth than picking up Tampa's scraps.

Money was certainly considered but seeing Moore was signed to a very cap-friendly contract by Tampa, I don't think the salary difference between Halpern and Moore was the decisive factor here, unless Halpern signed at league-minimum.

Don't like this, I know he can sit in the press box and has size but I'd much rather have given our spots on the bottom 6 to prospects..not a 34 year old free agent

Which would you rather have though; a 34 y/o forward in the press box or a 20 something prospect? I'd rather the 34 y/o and let the kid play monster mins with the dogs...Just my opinion.

Archived