The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

New Arena in Quebec City

Kubby31

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=333071

Yes.....please....would love nothing better than to see the BATTLE OF QUEBEC brought back to life.

And yes,I do realize that it'll never come close to the old rivalry that we had known,but still...

In a telling show of support, Quebec City-area Tory MPs made a public appearance Wednesday in vintage Nordiques jerseys while promising to push the arena issue in Ottawa.

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur

I do appreciate the initiative to bring back a NHL club in Quebec City, but I must admit I am disappointed to see that everything will be almost exclusively done by all 3 government entities when that should be the opportunity for private sector to come up with sums of money in that. When I see the Habs (formerly Gillett, now the Molsons), the Alouettes (Larry Smith and his partners) and the Montreal Impact (the Saputo family) having huge involvement from the owner(s) and the private sector without depending that much of the government. Is there anyone in Quebec City willing to splash cash from his/her own pockets as much as owners of the 3 Montreal professional sports teams are willing to?

Bottom line is: I am very skeptical about the good of involving government entities only in that project so far because I'm not sure all taxpayers are willing to pay for this, and this is a domain for private corporations to be involved too. Even in Ottawa, they have Eugene Melnyk pouring money into his club from his own will.

$180 million in federal funding is not a drop in the bucket, it could be a thorny issue for the Conservatives. Certainly here in Winnipeg the resentment would be astounding, we didn't even get $20 million from the Feds for our arena. Luckily Manitoba only constitutes 14 political ridings.

If Quebec City is serious about making a bid for the Olympics, for which the arena would be integral, it should realistically be looking at a 12 to 16 year time frame, there is no way the IOC is going to come back to Canada in 8 years, there is too much money elsewhere which will be rewarded first. Thus I don't see the rush on building an arena with federal funds, if it is just to purchase a hockey team, that should be done with private money, and some public investment like everywhere else.

It's good hype for Quebec to get on the radar, but I agree that they need an investor to step up first. Marcel Aubut? Quebecor?

That said, Now is the time to buy our game back, hopefully Bettman is realistic about the growth potential of hockey in the US while its economy is floundering.

Guess they were our arch rivals the Habs and Quebec hated each other. Personally, being a die hard habs fan and as much as i love hockey and canadian hockey, i just can't bring myself to enjoy this. I was never a fan of Quebec as a team, love the city but the Nordiques are still one of my least favourite teams of all time. Obviously it was one of the best rivalry's in the league in its day. But i would much rather see an NHL team in Winnipeg than in Quebec.

• 3 weeks later...

QUEBEC - It will be a Quebec Nordiques lovefest today.

Tens of thousands of people -- perhaps over 50,000 -- are expected in Quebec City to participate in what's being called the "Blue March."

People are demanding the return of NHL hockey, 15 years after the city's beloved Nordiques left town.

The Stastny brothers -- the three Slovak stars who captured the city's hearts in the early '80s -- will be there.

Several members of the federal Conservative caucus will also participate.

Those Tories are in a delicate spot: they're squeezed between local constituents demanding that the government fund an arena, while outside Quebec there have been some angry complaints about the idea.

I'm not entirely convinced that even if Quebec gets a new stadium that an NHL team will follow. Hamilton, Winnipeg, and now Quebec... Why would it work for Quebec anymore than it has for the other two? The entire metropolitan area of Quebec City is not even one million people. By comparison, Montreal's metropolitan area is almost four million. Are markets this size capable of sustaining hockey? What if a new team in Quebec is as terrible as the Nordiques were? Would people keep going to watch them? From 87 - 95 they made the post-season twice. Once being elimanted by Montreal and the other losing in the Quarters to New York. Will people care if the team plays like that for almost ten years?

• 4 months later...

Quebec City has announced a name for the not-yet-built arena that will be home to it's not-yet existent NHL team: It will be called the VIDEOTRON AMPHITHEATRE.

Quebec City has announced a name for the not-yet-built arena that will be home to it's not-yet existent NHL team: It will be called the VIDEOTRON AMPHITHEATRE.

second part sweet first part lame

lol videotron

lol videotron

lol videotron

That's the name of the company owned/run by the guy who reeeeeally wants to buy either the Thrashers, Coyotes, or Panthers IIRC.

Also, any over/under on which one of those teams ends up moving there? Thinking Atlanta, myself. But Florida's 3,000 households per game viewership :blink: makes me think it might be a footrace. :P

That's the name of the company owned/run by the guy who reeeeeally wants to buy either the Thrashers, Coyotes, or Panthers IIRC.

Also, any over/under on which one of those teams ends up moving there? Thinking Atlanta, myself. But Florida's 3,000 households per game viewership :blink: makes me think it might be a footrace. :P

I'll say Atlanta goes 1st.

I'm pretty sure the feds shot down the idea of any funding for arenas like this the other day.

Wouldn't surprise me, trying to get money out of the Canadian government for anything sports related is just an act of futility it just won't happen. It's too bad because as much as I despised the Nords I'd love to see the battle of Quebec again.

Crazy and not even a NHL Team Yet LOL !!!!! - were was all this money when THE EXPOS needed help with a new stadium :angry: .

^This

I really miss the Expos but they got stolen from this town pure and simple by Bud Selig. I hope that Washington team is cursed forever.

• 4 months later...

Well its definitely not Atlanta

I'll say Atlanta goes 1st.

You were right, they left before anyone else

• 8 months later...

Quebec City made a major announcement today stating that the deal to build a new 18000 seat arena was signed friday evening. The arena will begin construction in late august/early september and has a deadline to be opened in September 2015. Renovation projects are going to begin this summer on the current Colisee to upgrade it to NHL standards.

Go Phoenix Go :P

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/quebec-city-to-make-announcement-regarding-nhl-style-arena-project-144144785.html

Very odd that they've projected the finish as September 2015. That's a full 3.5 years down the road (three full NHL seasons); could they potentially miss the boat in acquiring a team?

They could possibly play in the Collisee (SP?). They did that with Ottawa when they rejoined the league. Ottawa played where the '67s played for a few years, not sure how long tho. Basically it was under the stands in the football stadium where the Ottawa Roughriders played.

They could possibly play in the Collisee (SP?). They did that with Ottawa when they rejoined the league. Ottawa played where the '67s played for a few years, not sure how long tho. Basically it was under the stands in the football stadium where the Ottawa Roughriders played.

That seems to be what they are planning to do because they have began renovating the Colisee so that it's up to NHL standards.

Archived