The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Chl - Good Or Bad

roy_133

Not the quality of hockey of course (it's good quality) but the impact it has on players development both from a personal standpoint and a team standpoint. The CHL has a significant amount of power in hockey circles but IMO it's becoming a bit of a problem. First of all the fact that CHL aged and controlled North American's can't go play in the AHL is ridiculous. Second of all, for the teams to draft and invest so heavily in these kids and not have really any control of them for the next 2 years of their lives and development is doubly ridiculous.

I think hockey should adopt more of a baseball like system, baseball organization's have several minor league teams under their control where they can assign players whose rights they own (AAA, AA, A, low A ect.), obviously hockey teams wouldn't need as many leagues but IMO after you draft a prospect, you sign him and assign him to either you AHL club or if he's not ready for that level an ECHL club that you control (or any other lower level league you want to create, a 3rd tier maybe required). You get the player with your coaching staff, working on what you want and overseeing every step of his development and not to mention playing against a higher caliber of player and coming up through the ranks with other prospects that you own.

I know it will never happen, the CHL like I said simply has too much power for it to happen. It wouldn't totally kill the CHL just eliminate overagers, it would definitely hurt the quality but the league could sustain it's self.

Not the quality of hockey of course (it's good quality) but the impact it has on players development both from a personal standpoint and a team standpoint. The CHL has a significant amount of power in hockey circles but IMO it's becoming a bit of a problem. First of all the fact that CHL aged and controlled North American's can't go play in the AHL is ridiculous. Second of all, for the teams to draft and invest so heavily in these kids and not have really any control of them for the next 2 years of their lives and development is doubly ridiculous.

I think hockey should adopt more of a baseball like system, baseball organization's have several minor league teams under their control where they can assign players whose rights they own (AAA, AA, A, low A ect.), obviously hockey teams wouldn't need as many leagues but IMO after you draft a prospect, you sign him and assign him to either you AHL club or if he's not ready for that level an ECHL club that you control (or any other lower level league you want to create, a 3rd tier maybe required). You get the player with your coaching staff, working on what you want and overseeing every step of his development and not to mention playing against a higher caliber of player and coming up through the ranks with other prospects that you own.

I know it will never happen, the CHL like I said simply has too much power for it to happen. It wouldn't totally kill the CHL just eliminate overagers, it would definitely hurt the quality but the league could sustain it's self.

The CHL was sort of like that back in the day. I know each Jr A team was affiliated with an NHL team in some way shape or form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Knight...ys.E2.80.931968

From the article linked

The Darwin Era, 1968–86

London Knights logo, 1968–86.In 1968, businessman Howard Darwin bought the London Nationals (he also owned the Ottawa 67's) as the era of NHL sponsorship of junior hockey ended. Darwin wanted to give a fresh look to the team, and so held a contest to rename the team. Londoner Brian Logie suggested the name Knights, and the team's colours were changed to green, white and gold. In 1970 the team also hired trainer Don Brankley, who stayed with the team until retiring at the end of the 2007–08 season. The team grew from a chronic also-ran in the late 1960s and early 1970s to a contender near the end of the decade. The highlight of the Darwin era came in 1976–77, when a powerful Knights team led by future NHLers Rob Ramage, Brad Marsh and Dino Ciccarelli defeated the St. Catharines Fincups in the conference final on an overtime goal by Dan Eastman to advance to the OHL final against the 67's. However, the 67's were triumphant in six games in the league final. In the early 1980s the Knights descended to a nadir in franchise history, with small crowds and a poor record. However, right winger Brendan Shanahan would soon rise to prominence and help to draw larger crowds.

The bolded section commenting about the name change Brian logie is actually my Uncle and he and my aunt came up with the name and the Knights helmet logo.

I don't think the restriction regarding AHL is as ridiculous as you do. Without such a rule in place, the system would deteriorate pretty quickly. The AHL would also grow a lot younger very quick (not necessarily a bad thing, but not necessarily a good thing either) as teams would try to get their draft picks up against professional competition as soon as possible.

Perhaps the CHL restrictions aren't in the absolute best interest of the NHL, but I think if they were removed it would have a negative impact on the game as a whole in the country.

Perhaps the CHL restrictions aren't in the absolute best interest of the NHL, but I think if they were removed it would have a negative impact on the game as a whole in the country.

As an NHL team that's not really a big concern and anyway I think the impact would be relatively small. The problem is some prospects are seriously hampered by the rule and it's really just a cash crab for the CHL. A player like Latendresse was too advanced (especially physically) for the Q and as it turned out not quite ready for the NHL so a year or 2 in the AHL would have been perfect for him.

I'm not sure how the system would deteriorate anyway. The AHL would have younger, more exciting up and coming talents (after a lot of them played 2+ years in the CHL) but that's a good thing, so is a team controlling their investment. The big winner would be the 3rd league, whether it be ECHL or not who got a lot of the younger guys at first as they made their way up. The league is basically nothing now but could be used in that capacity.

There are far, far too many 18-19 year old players not quite NHL ready but basically wasting a year+ of development playing against inferior competition because of these rules, which yes, is ridiculous IMO.

Let's be honest here, a CHL team can't have the same investment in a player's long term development as the organization who drafts them. The organization would be able to oversee everything from fitness, to player role on the ice and be able to allow players to grow with other young talents in the organization.

The CHL was sort of like that back in the day. I know each Jr A team was affiliated with an NHL team in some way shape or form.

Yes, they were but that obviously would be impossible to repeat without major changes to the CHL (that are even more unlikely than my suggestions).

I think the CHL is very valuable and I see no reason why it can't continue to be a great league for players pre draft.

As an NHL team that's not really a big concern and anyway I think the impact would be relatively small. The problem is some prospects are seriously hampered by the rule and it's really just a cash crab for the CHL. A player like Latendresse was too advanced (especially physically) for the Q and as it turned out not quite ready for the NHL so a year or 2 in the AHL would have been perfect for him.

I'm not sure how the system would deteriorate anyway. The AHL would have younger, more exciting up and coming talents (after a lot of them played 2+ years in the CHL) but that's a good thing, so is a team controlling their investment. The big winner would be the 3rd league, whether it be ECHL or not who got a lot of the younger guys at first as they made their way up. The league is basically nothing now but could be used in that capacity.

There are far, far too many 18-19 year old players not quite NHL ready but basically wasting a year+ of development playing against inferior competition because of these rules, which yes, is ridiculous IMO.

Let's be honest here, a CHL team can't have the same investment in a player's long term development as the organization who drafts them. The organization would be able to oversee everything from fitness, to player role on the ice and be able to allow players to grow with other young talents in the organization.

Yes, they were but that obviously would be impossible to repeat without major changes to the CHL (that are even more unlikely than my suggestions).

I think the CHL is very valuable and I see no reason why it can't continue to be a great league for players pre draft.

I was referring more to the CHL deteriorating than anything. They'd be losing their top talents sooner, bringing the overall talent level of the league down as well as making things "skinnier". It still is partially a business there too.

Personally i think that the Chl and the junior system in Canada is excellent. What better proof do you need than the fact that these players each year compete at the world junior championships and have won pretty much every year. The Chl is dominating NCAA hockey and even the best of the USA are coming to Canada to learn the trade in the OHL, QMJHL and WHL. Almost all of the top players in the draft in fact 17 of the top 30 players drafted this year played in the CHL, this includes high draft pick names such as Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, Cam Fowler, Brandon Gormley, Erik Gudbranson and Jeff Skinner. If fact only one of the top 10 players drafter (Mikeal Grundland) didn't play in the ohl, QMJHL or WHL. This just shows the quality of the players that are being pumped out of the CHL.

Now on the flip side the CHL does have some negative elements, first off they give clubs less chance of developing players at a young age, in the old days players could be grown up in the system until he is the aged enough to play in the big leagues. Now some people would say that this would be adventagous for teams like Montreal and Toronto who have a lot of young youth players in the area and that is probably true. Another con is that the teams themselves are not run very well for the players, these players get paid a very small sum of money and cannot make more for doing adds and other stuff, if they did do ads all the money would go to the OHL, which i don't think is really fair to the players. I'm not saying that they need a CHLPA, but i think that the junior players should get more rights and be able to make more money.

But overall i think that the CHL is very good and vital to development of Canadian hockey and soon to be American hockey as well. Also many Europeans are starting to make the trip across to play junior in the CHL, so the CHL is helping hockey in general develop and is part of the reason why North American hockey is starting to take steps ahead of Russian, Swedish, Chez and Finnish hockey. I truely think that it is the development from the very begging that makes Canada the great hockey nation that it currently is. And the fact the Russia and Europe doesn't really have a league the same way that Canada and the USA does in Major Junior is one of the things that put them a step behind.

Archived