The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sheldon Souray

amp73

I liked this guy when he was with the Habs

But then this past summer he pretty much slammed the Oilers and now this

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=333711

Nothing really surprises me, but I've prepared all summer...that has been my focus, to be ready for camp, ready to report and help my team and help myself," Souray told TSN.

"Things happen, I guess, however as a professional and a proud guy, I wanted to be part of all of the positive things that are happening around the team right now. My focus was to come in here and be a pro. There never would have been any distraction from my end," Souray added.

Just another athlete concerned about himself

Yeah... I get the feeling that he realized his hard-headed approach to being traded has failed and now he has nothing left but to try to make it back on a revitalized Edmonton team... A team that perhaps doesn't want him. I feel like Sheldon imagines he is worth more than he is. I got that feeling when he left Montreal looking for the big bucks that never quite appeared.

I think both Souray and the Oilers have screwed themselves. Souray went and opened his big mouth wanting a trade and letting it be known, knowing his injury filled seasons and his 5.4M cap hit with 2 years left. I'd rather take 5.5 on Hammer with only this season left. Then Tambellini goes and tells him "don't come to camp we don't need/want you here and you won't be playing in an Oilers jersey this season". So, instead of letting him come to camp and show what hes going to be like this season, you're going to try and sell him based on what he's looked like since he came to Edmonton? No wonder you can't find a trading partner *thumbs up*

I think both Souray and the Oilers have screwed themselves. Souray went and opened his big mouth wanting a trade and letting it be known, knowing his injury filled seasons and his 5.4M cap hit with 2 years left. I'd rather take 5.5 on Hammer with only this season left. Then Tambellini goes and tells him "don't come to camp we don't need/want you here and you won't be playing in an Oilers jersey this season". So, instead of letting him come to camp and show what hes going to be like this season, you're going to try and sell him based on what he's looked like since he came to Edmonton? No wonder you can't find a trading partner *thumbs up*

I agree that he'll get a lot less for Souray this way, but it's possible that Lowe felt that whetever additional assets he might have gotten mid-season (which still probably wouldn't have been much with that huge cap hit) were worth less to the team than starting the season with a positive vibe in the dressing room.

Edmonton isn't going to win a lot of games this year, and they probably won't win many next year either. By the time this team needs to worry about spending close to the cap and competing Souray will be off the books whether they trade him or not. What really matters to this Oilers team is getting all of their young potential stars to bond and grow together in a positive way.

So really I see this more as a move based on building for three seasons from now instead of what will make the team better this year

I agree that he'll get a lot less for Souray this way, but it's possible that Lowe felt that whetever additional assets he might have gotten mid-season (which still probably wouldn't have been much with that huge cap hit) were worth less to the team than starting the season with a positive vibe in the dressing room.

Edmonton isn't going to win a lot of games this year, and they probably won't win many next year either. By the time this team needs to worry about spending close to the cap and competing Souray will be off the books whether they trade him or not. What really matters to this Oilers team is getting all of their young potential stars to bond and grow together in a positive way.

So really I see this more as a move based on building for three seasons from now instead of what will make the team better this year

Yeah, I guess this is an attempt at getting things started fresh and new with a better vibe. But, it can also come back to bite them because this is giving the new guys a look at how the organization can treat you. I mean, when Souray signed there it was a big deal and then he has some bad seasons kind of wants out and they both butt heads. Instead of trying to keep things quiet and under wraps, the organization has played into the same game and made all this public. There's no need for that in my opinion, there are better ways to go about all this (from both parties).

A lot of small talk has been devoted to the idea of Sheldon Souray coming back to Montreal, because obviously the situation he has in Edmonton is/hasn't been ideal. But i would like to say that imo this is not a good idea for Montreal. We should be focusing on trying to make our defensive unit young and i've said it before and i'll say it again. Our defensive unit is fine, its our offensive unit that has problems and we should address those problems before we try and revamp our defense.

Archived