The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tiebreaker Rule Change Approved

Kubby31

NEW YORK -- Shootouts will be a little less important in the NHL next season.

The league's board of governors approved a bylaw revision Tuesday for use when teams are tied in the standings at the end of the season.

Under the new wording of the bylaw (27.3c), a team's total number of victories in regulation time and overtime would be used for tiebreaker purposes. Shootout wins would not be included.

The change was proposed by the league's 30 club general managers last March. It was endorsed last Saturday by the NHL Players' Association representatives on the Competition Committee.

As I have many times voiced by opinion on this subject...still remains,this is the only league that I'm aware of that rewards a team for losing a game.Give 2 points to the winner period.Then you will see teams actually compete through the whole game....IMO.

+1 I don't get that a tie is not enough, gotta be a winner,,,but still you get a point for the loss. 2 points for every game, not some worth 3 some worth 2.

+1 I don't get that a tie is not enough, gotta be a winner,,,but still you get a point for the loss. 2 points for every game, not some worth 3 some worth 2.

Yep, that's the key in my opinion. Whether two points or three points, I don't know why they can't design a system that gives equal rating to every game.

At least this rule change is a small step in the right direction... although maybe not a great result on the Habs based on out love of overtime :unsure:

At the end of the day though, its only going to apply to 2 teams finishing with exactly the same point total at the end of the year. Make sure you have 1 more point than the next guys & you're fine.

I dont think its going to make a huge difference either way to be honest. It will probably come into to play like once every couple of years.

So how are they going to categorize things now?

W-SHW-L-OT/SHL

:blink:

or are they going to keep it

W-L-OTL and then keep their own tabs on it?

What's the reasoning behind not counting the shootouts?

It's kind of silly if you're going to award a team a win and give them 2 points but then say sorry it was a win and 2 points but the win doesn't count toward anything if you're tied. Some teams still work hard to win in the shootout, how are you going to take that away. Whats the point of the shootout lol. 3 points being awarded (2W 1L) and elimination of ties? Might as well bring ties back and you can use regulation wins/ot wins as a way to break a tie instead of having these shootout wins thrown out and meaningless if they got you points but could take you out of the playoffs.

I dont think its going to make a huge difference either way to be honest. It will probably come into to play like once every couple of years.

Guess what team probably misses the playoffs because of this ... :lol: They're in the Northeast and not the Leafs, Bruins, Sens or Sabres... :mellow:

Just remember...no matter how bad things get (and they will :angry: )...pills & certain drinks :lol: do not mix...though it may appear to makes things seem much better,lol.

Certain drinks does that include rummmmm, and things do usually appear much better. :lol::P

Agreed....anyone else up for seeing no touch icing changed....for the players well being?

This, will save many careers over the years and should be implemented ASAP!

Certain drinks does that include rummmmm, and things do usually appear much better. :lol::P

Better ask someone more qualified to answer this regarding rum......................................hello,hrf....you there? :lol:

This, will save many careers over the years and should be implemented ASAP!

Yea...it will be...when a player's career has ended because of..... <_<

As I have many times voiced by opinion on this subject...still remains,this is the only league that I'm aware of that rewards a team for losing a game.Give 2 points to the winner period.Then you will see teams actually compete through the whole game....IMO.

I've wondered about that, given the fact there have been complaints about teams playing for the shootout.

or we could just get rid of the trapezoid and let goalies deal with it grumblegrumble

Well...be ok,if their considered free game if they choose to play the puck in the corners...what happens here is a player collides or should I say brushes the goalie....and gets a 2 minute goalie interference call.....dumb.(goalie plays into that one)

Something has to give here....I realize it can't be both ways.

ya i know, i say the goalies are fair game, istill love that video of was it price ? laying the body on someone lmao

It was actually more like Price getting laid out. We can't afford having our goalie known to be "fair game". If he gets hurt, we're screwed :mellow:

I'll go with the no touch.

Yep, that's the key in my opinion. Whether two points or three points, I don't know why they can't design a system that gives equal rating to every game.

At least this rule change is a small step in the right direction... although maybe not a great result on the Habs based on out love of overtime :unsure:

Very smaaaaallll step indeed!Of course,we know that Bettman would never allow the Governors to vote :blink: in a change that would show how stupid he was in the first place to bring in such lunacy as a shootout,never mind a 3 pt. game!!!!

Archived