The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rangers Place Redden On Waivers.

Source TSN

The New York Rangers placed veteran defenceman Wade Redden on waivers Saturday.

If Redden clears waivers, the Rangers will assign the 33-year-old to their AHL team, clearing his salary off their cap, according to GM Glen Sather. He also said the move will give younger players an opportunity to earn a spot on the team.

The Saskatchewan native had two goals and 12 assists in 75 games for the Rangers last season; each mark was a career low for Redden.

After 11 seasons with the Ottawa Senators from 1996-97 to 2007-08, Redden has spent the last two years in New York. He signed a huge six-year deal in 2008.

He was originally drafted second overall by the New York Islanders in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.

Nit pick away. ;)

I don't want to be one of those annoying message nit pickers (partially because I probably make more factual errors than anyone here) but signing him for 6 years has to be the absolute worst contract in hockey. Can't believe Sather has a job to be honest. The Rangers have actually done a very good job drafting lately and that's kind of saving his bacon but really he's been nothing short of horrid during this tenure there.

I don't want to be one of those annoying message nit pickers (partially because I probably make more factual errors than anyone here) but signing him for 6 years has to be the absolute worst contract in hockey. Can't believe Sather has a job to be honest. The Rangers have actually done a very good job drafting lately and that's kind of saving his bacon but really he's been nothing short of horrid during this tenure there.

He's so bad at giving contracts it's ridiculous, I've never met a Rangers fan who actually likes Sather loll.

Redden's just another overpaid defenseman that is going to have a tough time finding work.

is it possible for them to just nullify the contract if both parties agree to it?

I'm not sure that it would be. One of the only ways I can think of that would eliminate the payment would be that they can send him to the AHL and he can refuse to report, but I don't think that it would nullify his contract; he could go sign overseas but I think the only way he can get to another NHL team is through having his contract bought out or being traded. I could be wrong though.

I'm not sure that it would be. One of the only ways I can think of that would eliminate the payment would be that they can send him to the AHL and he can refuse to report, but I don't think that it would nullify his contract; he could go sign overseas but I think the only way he can get to another NHL team is through having his contract bought out or being traded. I could be wrong though.

If he didn't report I don't know that it actually nullifies the contract but they could suspend him without payment until he did actually report, I believe anyway.

Either way, Redden will do what it takes to live up to the contract I'd imagine just because he couldn't even get half that on the open market now.

If he didn't report I don't know that it actually nullifies the contract but they could suspend him without payment until he did actually report, I believe anyway.

Yeah - that's what I said in my post. :P

But yeah, 6.5 million is a pretty sweet living. :lol:

I have actually been informed though that it is possible to nullify and completely cancel an NHL contract. I had just never heard of a contract reworking in the NHL like you hear about in other leagues, so I assumed it wasn't possible to change/eliminate a contract but I guess I was wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know...He did bring in Gaborik.

Which really surprises me cos he did great things in Edmonton... I know, I know, Gretz, Coffey, Messier, Low, Kuri, Fuhr, etc... They did win a cup after the departure of Gretz, Coffey, Kuri and Moog. I could be wrong, but I think Sather was the GM st that point and not behind the bench.

I don't know what it is about NY that make GM's regress. I have a feeling it has to do with NY's big income. In Edmonton Sather had to be frugal, but in NY, the skies the limit. It was worse before the lockout, they pretty much threw whatever they wanted at players.

I kinda feel bad for Redden, but he accepted the big paycheck and didn't live up to it(this is a cap world). He had to know this was coming. Still, it's never easy to play in the American league after playing 10 years in the NHL. And Redden isn't a vet at the end of his career. He's 33, in theory he should still have about 3-4 good years left in him.

Which really surprises me cos he did great things in Edmonton... I know, I know, Gretz, Coffey, Messier, Low, Kuri, Fuhr, etc... They did win a cup after the departure of Gretz, Coffey, Kuri and Moog. I could be wrong, but I think Sather was the GM st that point and not behind the bench.

He was GM for most of it, yes. But remember that most of those names are guys they drafted (Coffey, Kurri and Moog in the same YEAR!!) The gretzky deal (to sign him in the WHA was a Pocklington move - although I believe Slats was very much behind it).

The thing is, times change. He continues to show he can draft (or probably more appropriately, hire the right people to draft) but he still cant trade. Even the gretzky trade was a debacle, although trying to replace the great one would be no easy feat.

Boy, I bet Ottawa regrets giving up Chara over Redden now...

This year when Gaborik plays only 25 games, will people still keep bringing that up?

For those feeling bad for Redden, here's a little fun fact as consolation: Elliot Friedman reported in a recent article on CBC.ca that Redden no longer pays part of his salary in escrow payments now that he's in the minors. In other words, his demotion to the AHL has resulted in an 18% increase in his take-home pay :P

For those feeling bad for Redden, here's a little fun fact as consolation: Elliot Friedman reported in a recent article on CBC.ca that Redden no longer pays part of his salary in escrow payments now that he's in the minors. In other words, his demotion to the AHL has resulted in an 18% increase in his take-home pay :P

And he's also become the highest paid AHL player in history - he takes home more in a game than many players do in a season! :lol:

Archived