The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mark Streit Out 6 Months

Nine1One

Report: Islanders' Streit out six months

Sunday, 09.26.2010 / 3:14 PM / News NHL.com

The New York Islanders' chances of returning to the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since 2007 may have just suffered a huge blow.

Newsday is reporting that Mark Streit, the team's No. 1 defenseman, will miss six months after suffered a torn rotator cuff and labrum during a scrimmage at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Saturday morning.

Streit, 33, had 11 goals and 38 assists last season. He was primed to be paired with James Wisniewski, who was acquired from the Anaheim Ducks this summer.

Report: Islanders' Streit out six months

Sunday, 09.26.2010 / 3:14 PM / News NHL.com

The New York Islanders' chances of returning to the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since 2007 may have just suffered a huge blow.

Newsday is reporting that Mark Streit, the team's No. 1 defenseman, will miss six months after suffered a torn rotator cuff and labrum during a scrimmage at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Saturday morning.

Streit, 33, had 11 goals and 38 assists last season. He was primed to be paired with James Wisniewski, who was acquired from the Anaheim Ducks this summer.

He has led the NYI defence corps in points the past 2 seasons and plays not only on the power play but kills penalties. It is really going to hurt the Islanders in the standings but most likely help them in the draft.

The Islanders still have Calvin deHaan and Travis Hamonic to step in and play, one of those two will probably replace Streit.

It doesn't change the fact that missing Streit for that long a period is a huge blow for the Islanders. They need ALL the quality players they can to improve. Your post is the same as saying Markov is out for the Habs, no problem Subban will be there to replace him, they point being that both of them should be there, not one to replace the other.

quick! send em grandpa spacek and perhaps even someone else for some much needed cap space and maybe even a decent prospect from the isles.

no really, get rid of grandpa spacek; i can't stand paying 3.8 for the next 2 years to have him

When used properly, Spacek is still a decent player.

In all honesty though, If I were Gauthier, I would be working the phone like mad trying to see if there's interest in Roman Hamrlik. He'd be a perfect fit for the isles: 1 year left on his contract, not a huge difference in price from Streit's cap hit while he's injured, had some of his best seasons in NY and has proven he is excellent at mentoring young defensmen.

We would get much needed cap space & possibly a raw prospect out of the deal.

I really believe there's a fit there, if pursued.

Bob Mac said the Isles are not interested in Souray (no kidding $$ and injury prone) but I can see them looking for an experienced Dman (Hammer could be a good choice).

Sad but we are stuck with Spacek.

Yeah, the biggest knock on Souray is that 1 additional year. By next year he'll be much more movable for a team with some cap space looking for 1 year of help...Like Roman today :)

Hello #1 overall pick.......

Though I wouldve put them 28th-29th even with Streit.

They should have kept Mark Streit, now is among the top 15 defenseman in the league, he is a lot better defensively than he was in the habs uniform. The isles are serious trouble right now...I don't know who will replace him...perhaps Kaberle...but I don't think he will waive his no trade clause, and the price will be a way to high (Nino Niederreiter).

If I were you I wouldn't say that....This team is getting better and better.....They have really good talents, such as Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, Nielsen, Niederreiter and Hamonic...

Yeah, the biggest knock on Souray is that 1 additional year. By next year he'll be much more movable for a team with some cap space looking for 1 year of help...Like Roman today :)

While I think he'd have some deadline interest (although even then, team's would need a couple million free), at this time of the year it would still be a tough sell. Most teams don't have that much money lying around, regardless of number of years. It would be easier, sure, but I'd say he better learn to like the AHL.

While I think he'd have some deadline interest (although even then, team's would need a couple million free), at this time of the year it would still be a tough sell. Most teams don't have that much money lying around, regardless of number of years. It would be easier, sure, but I'd say he better learn to like the AHL.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. You may well be right, Graeme - logic would be on your side - but we've seen time and again that GMs seem to throw logic out the window. They are always hoping (much like us fans) that a player will "bounce back" or have a "career year" which is almost always very unlikely. They think back to guys like Selanne who did it & hope that "this guy" will be their selanne.

They should have kept Mark Streit, now is among the top 15 defenseman in the league, he is a lot better defensively than he was in the habs uniform. The isles are serious trouble right now...I don't know who will replace him...perhaps Kaberle...but I don't think he will waive his no trade clause, and the price will be a way to high (Nino Niederreiter).

If I were you I wouldn't say that....This team is getting better and better.....They have really good talents, such as Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, Nielsen, Niederreiter and Hamonic...

Oh they have good future assets but this year if Okposo is injured as bad as i hear, they have Tavares, a guy who had a career year way above any other year in Matt Moulson, Josh Bailey and a bunch of 3rd/4th liners of which Blake Comeau and Rob Schremp seem alright but most will not score more than 15 pts. Not to mention their defense without Streit is something like:

Wisniewski-Eaton

Martinek-McDonald

Jurcina-Gervais

Hillen

(Ie pretty awful and considering Jurcina is always injured they dont have a whole lot of veteran D depth and Wisniewski and Eaton are 2nd/3rd pair defencemen) ;)

They have Hamonic and De Haan, though Hamonic does not seem ready and will be in the AHL, while De Haan they might not rush him yet and put him in the AHL as well.

Honestly dont see them ahead of anyone in the East, unless Florida has a firesale at the deadline and races to the bottom to grab the number 1 pick.

Archived