The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

More Bad News For The Islanders

Nine1One

Shoulder surgery to sideline Isles' Okposo indefinitely

Tuesday, 09.28.2010 / 2:38 PM / News By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Staff Writer

The New York Islanders suffered their second devastating blow this week and it's still early.

The team announced Tuesday that forward Kyle Okposo's ailing right shoulder will require surgery that will keep him out indefinitely. This news comes roughly 48 hours after the team announced that defenseman Mark Streit would miss the bulk of the season after undergoing surgery to repair damage to his left shoulder that is reported to be a torn rotator cuff and labrum.

The Islanders have now lost both of their alternate captains to extended shoulder injuries and the season hasn't even started.

The team also announced it has signed former New Jersey defenseman Mike Mottau to a two-year contract. Mottau, 32, spent the last three seasons with the Devils and last season recorded a career-high 18 points in 79 games.

"Mike is a solid puck-moving defenseman who will bring more experience to our blue line," GM Garth Snow said in a statement.

Okposo finished second on the team last season with 19 goals and 52 points in 80 games. He had 18 goals and 39 points as a rookie two seasons ago. It is unclear when he suffered his shoulder injury, though there is speculation that it happened during an intrasquad scrimmage last week.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carey_Price
The sad thing is that they have to keep them off the IR in order to make the cap floor.

Wouldn't it have been wise to spend that $$ on a goalie upgrade like Niemi or some good forwards last summer. Oh wells, they're not the habs so i don't care.

I'm not a clairvoyant, but I think the Isles will be in the playoff.

I don't know where you guys get your information from, but my cristal ball is very clear; this is a contender team. Watch out.

From my point it looks like:

Top goalie. DiPietro with Roloson backing.

Quality defense. Good mix between young and experiencend, totally 9 defenders with one-way contracts.

Young and high talented offense. Their getting better every day.

Ambitious coach.

For Insurance they added toughness.

I expected them to be on top in 2012/2013, but who will stop them if they eat now the caps twice with that important absences?

Do we see another dynasty?

BTW: Do not trust in fortunetellers!

Archived