Salary Cap: Good Or Bad?

Icroyhable

Salary Cap  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Cap good or bad.

• Yes, i think it helps the NHL
    • No, i think it hurts the NHL
    • I havn't decided yet

One issue that has been largely debated by fans, players and media alike is the salary cap. The question is wether the cap is better for the league, or takes away from the on ice product of hockey. The Chicago Blackhawks situation over the summer sparked the issue to a new all time high. With almost everyone having an opinion on wether or not salary cap is a good idea. In my opinion, the salary cap is a good thing. Pre-salary cap the NHL product was actually quite boring in the late 20th century and the start of the 21st. Now the revamped NHL is due in part to solid rule changed made by the NHL, but you can't ignore the fact of the contrast between pre-salary cap hockey and post-salary cap hockey. The NHL is more even than ever and the excitement is due in part to the fact that almost every team in the league is even. Secondly, the NHL would have much less franchises and would be losing a lot more money and doing economically much worse than it currently is if it didn't have a salary cap. Teams cannot afford to pay the kinds of money that big teams such as Montreal, Toronto and New York are willing and can pay to aquire players. Franchises would end up going extinct just trying the keep up with the salary pace of those clubs. I also think that it helps the NHL's advertising market because players looking for more cash look for sponsers who can give get them more money and thus improve the popularity of the NHL. And that is why i think that the salary cap is productive to the NHL. But everyone has an opinion, whats yours?

I really have nothing against the cap... It makes it harder to ice a team. Before, the money making teams had the edge, just give the stars the money they want. Today it's a different story, not only do you need a GM with a keen hockey mind, but you have to have one with good business sense as well.

I really have nothing against the cap... It makes it harder to ice a team. Before, the money making teams had the edge, just give the stars the money they want. Today it's a different story, not only do you need a GM with a keen hockey mind, but you have to have one with good business sense as well.

Yes very true. GM's are becoming better and better under the cap and its helping cities to not feel pressured to have to use too much money for transfers. Also obviously being a fan of the cap i can see some changes that could be put into place to improve the cap, mostly just some extra cap space for the team that wins the Stanley Cup. Which will help teams create dynasty's. Because as much as i like the new NHL and it's every team has a chance every game sytle, i still like pro sports dynasty's and think they are something important to the game of hockey.

Yes very true. GM's are becoming better and better under the cap and its helping cities to not feel pressured to have to use too much money for transfers. Also obviously being a fan of the cap i can see some changes that could be put into place to improve the cap, mostly just some extra cap space for the team that wins the Stanley Cup. Which will help teams create dynasty's. Because as much as i like the new NHL and it's every team has a chance every game sytle, i still like pro sports dynasty's and think they are something important to the game of hockey.

I'm sure most fans are thinking of the teams in the deep south, such as Atlanta or in Florida. But it will also be a help to Cities like Winnipeg and Quebec when they get their affairs in order and are able to have another team. If there was a cap back in the day, maybe Gretz would've never left Edmonton and the Jets would've never moved to the desert.

As far as Canadians go, the cap is a good thing. Specially if Canadian fans want more teams in Canada.

I'm sure most fans are thinking of the teams in the deep south, such as Atlanta or in Florida. But it will also be a help to Cities like Winnipeg and Quebec when they get their affairs in order and are able to have another team. If there was a cap back in the day, maybe Gretz would've never left Edmonton and the Jets would've never moved to the desert.

As far as Canadians go, the cap is a good thing. Specially if Canadian fans want more teams in Canada.

Interresting, i would have thought as a Canadian fan removing the salary cap was a good thing for the development of teams in Canada. Because it would mean teams like the Coyotes and Florida would go bankrupt and have to be turned over to teams like Hamilton, Winnipeg and Quebec city. But i guess it would be easier to start up a team in a Salary Cap environement than without because you could stay under the cap and not have to go into dept during your first couple of years to try and keep up with the competition in the NHL because of the investments you had to make to get the team plus the large amounts of money you would have to pay to make the team competitive. Now you don't have to pay as much to make the team a good one in the league.

Let's visit this question in 3-5 years when the cap starts to hit 70Million. I think that eventually the cap will be a moot point because the big market teams will once again be able to free spend. The only thing that really holds teams back right now are the long term big money contracts they sign.

My opinion is biased on this subject:

Contra:

Well, as far as I know, the Montréal Canadiens are the richest team in the NHL, so the salary cap wasn't made in their interest!

Not only they were cut their priority on Quebecker prospects, they also aren't allowed anymore to employ the players they actually can afford.

Is it the Habs' fault when teams like the Pens struggled with extinction?

When was the salary cap instaured? Mid to end 90s?

Well, just look when the Habs have won their last Stanley Cup!

Pro:

It's true, the NHL is one of the most exciting sports leagues in the world, just because almost every team in the NHL can win the cup. This mostly due to the salary cap!

It's not like European football leagues or the American Major League Baseball, where there is just a handfull of teams who can win the respective championships, teams which are in 90% of the cases the rich teams!

My opinion is biased on this subject:

Contra:

Well, as far as I know, the Montréal Canadiens are the richest team in the NHL, so the salary cap wasn't made in their interest!

Not only they were cut their priority on Quebecker prospects, they also aren't allowed anymore to employ the players they actually can afford.

Is it the Habs' fault when teams like the Pens struggled with extinction?

When was the salary cap instaured? Mid to end 90s?

Well, just look when the Habs have won their last Stanley Cup!

Pro:

It's true, the NHL is one of the most exciting sports leagues in the world, just because almost every team in the NHL can win the cup. This mostly due to the salary cap!

It's not like European football leagues or the American Major League Baseball, where there is just a handfull of teams who can win the respective championships, teams which are in 90% of the cases the rich teams!

The salary cap came in after the last strike and started in the 2005-2006. Us not winning a cup since 1993 doesn't have anything to do with the salary cap.

The Salary Cap has made it possible for Canadian teams to compete on the same level as the American teams without which the futility faced by the Canadian teams was exasperating to put it mildly. Hockey teams are actually playing on a level playing field for the first time since the recession in 1982.This from a Hab fanatic, now winning the Stanley Cup isn't a dream it's possible.

I like the salary cap for the reasons that have been stated above, so I won't make this post redundant.

Howver, I do have one complaint. It has inadvertently killed loyalty. Up until 04-05, it was not uncommon to see players find a home and play their entire career with one team. However, with the cap, it is considerably harder. I don't think I am alone in saying that the only reason Koivu isn't our captain now is because of the cap. Am I whining? No, of course not, I already said I like the cap. I am not saying that Crosby or Ovechkin will be traded or sign elsewhere tomorrow. I will say that I don't think the likes of Patrick Kane, Mikko Koivu, or even Niklas Backstrom will forever be a Blackhawk, a Wild player, or a Capital. That is the ONLY flaw I have seen with the cap.

Cap salary is fair and good for the competition.

IMO the universal draft is the real question to debate.

Canadians teams lost the opportunity to pick up their own players

in benefict of places that don´t support former hockey.

I think a good idea would be each team got the first pick up choice for the two

first rounds on your own state or province.

Places like Phoenix,Florida,it´s a good excuse t start to work and support local hockey

former teams.

IMO its very good, it at least gives small market/low spending teams a chance to compete moreso than before where the top teams just went out and signed free agents to ridiculous contracts. Now to Succeed the teams need a few high priced performers to play on the top forward and defence lines, a lot of middle salaried players 2-2.5 mill for the 2nd and 3rd forward and defence lines which include some rookie contracts that count (without bonuses) less than a million under the cap. Plus a few players at or around league minimum to balance out the roster. Now if there had been more strict rules with regards to circumvention that wouldve prevented Chicago, Vancouver, Detroit, Boston etc from getting a leg up.

I don't have any issue with the cap on the surface, it creates parity (which IMO is actually probably a bad thing overall) but as for Gretzky, he may have stayed in Edmonton but they'd have had to rip that team apart because of the cap, there's no way they'd have been able to afford all that talent and that in essence is my problem with the cap. It creates a league of mediocre - good teams, I think fans actually prefer dynasties and teams they can root against and parity kind of saps that.

As for the Jets moving to the desert, the cap actually hurts lower market teams financially because of the floor, making them spend more than they probably should. Now it may not be a problem for some of the small Canadian cities, especially for the first 4-5 years but then - going forward where the dollar where it was at it could have killed them.

Pro:

Like I said, I'm not even sure that's a pro. I suppose for the NHL as a gate driven league it may be but in terms of television and compelling story lines it's really not all that good. Parity to that degree just creates a sea of mediocrity which is where we are with the NHL IMO.

I don't have any issue with the cap on the surface, it creates parity (which IMO is actually probably a bad thing overall) but as for Gretzky, he may have stayed in Edmonton but they'd have had to rip that team apart because of the cap, there's no way they'd have been able to afford all that talent and that in essence is my problem with the cap. It creates a league of mediocre - good teams, I think fans actually prefer dynasties and teams they can root against and parity kind of saps that.

As for the Jets moving to the desert, the cap actually hurts lower market teams financially because of the floor, making them spend more than they probably should. Now it may not be a problem for some of the small Canadian cities, especially for the first 4-5 years but then - going forward where the dollar where it was at it could have killed them.

Like I said, I'm not even sure that's a pro. I suppose for the NHL as a gate driven league it may be but in terms of television and compelling story lines it's really not all that good. Parity to that degree just creates a sea of mediocrity which is where we are with the NHL IMO.

What i'm starting to like to see is players taking discounts to stay with the teams they want to play with. These hometown discounts are huge returns for the league because they save the league money while still helping franchises stay competitive. If a player takes a hometown discount its a huge help to your hockey team.

I hate the CAP I hate Rev sharing and Ihated the old Canadian assistance Plan all this crap needs to be taken out of hockey let the spenders spend and the rest fill in where they can I want the days of the dynasty to return.

Dont get me wrong i love the days of the dynasty. But in the current day and age and with the American economy in the way it is, the cap just makes sense. Everyone wants to have the feeling that thier team has a chance to win each and every game and competition that they enter. With the salary cap this becomes a reality. I know that the habs are doing well financially which is a good thing and could afford solid players, but what if it was the other way around and the habs were one of the teams having trouble paying the bills. Then if the NHL was open to free spending the habs would be awful every year. And they would probably go out of buissness trying to keep up with the other teams in the league. This way all the teams can spend around the same amount of money and they will be almost guarenteed a decently competitive team in this league. That is why i think that the addition of a salary cap was a very good move for the NHL. But i think you are right about the dynasty's i would love to see them reintruduced into the league. Which is why i think the league champions and the stanley cup champions should each get extra cap space to spend on players the next season. This would help the team keep its better players together and maybe add a few new parts to take its team to even a better level. I think if we had this rule we would have avoided what happened to the Chicago Blackhawks this year.

For such a large league to have sustained long-term success, a salary cap is absolutely necessary. I have zero problem with it. The NFL is a picture-perfect example of how a salary cap can help a league; they're arguably one of the most successful professional sports leagues in the world in terms of how it is run.

• 9 months later...

For such a large league to have sustained long-term success, a salary cap is absolutely necessary. I have zero problem with it. The NFL is a picture-perfect example of how a salary cap can help a league; they're arguably one of the most successful professional sports leagues in the world in terms of how it is run.

lol looking back on this post and seeing the NFL in a lockout.

But agreed, salary cap is good. And despite the lockout the NFL is easiest the best of the 4 major North American leagues, however I don't know much about sports in other continents so myself personally can't say for sure. Id like to imagine their up in the top 3 though :D

• 3 weeks later...

IMO teams had better tread carefully going forward with their Cap space. A new CBA is on the horizon and i can see some changes coming. I believe the League minimum salary will see an increase proportional to the Cap increase, since its inception.

The current economic situation in the U.S. will also have an impact on future Cap totals. If their dollar continues to tumble in value,,,i can see the current cap total being reduced in the near future. GM's planning their long term strategy on an increasing yearly Cap, could be stung in the near future. Its not a bottomless pit.

IMO teams had better tread carefully going forward with their Cap space. A new CBA is on the horizon and i can see some changes coming. I believe the League minimum salary will see an increase proportional to the Cap increase, since its inception.

The current economic situation in the U.S. will also have an impact on future Cap totals. If their dollar continues to tumble in value,,,i can see the current cap total being reduced in the near future. GM's planning their long term strategy on an increasing yearly Cap, could be stung in the near future. Its not a bottomless pit.

But isn't interest in the game growing?

Archived