The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Outside The Box Thoughts

bell75

Good reply. I don't care where they come from if they are producing, but if all our players are from out of Quebec for a long stretch, then our alumni will shrink. Nowadays guys like Subban, Pacioretti etc may bump into Beliveau, LaFleur, Roy and others. This is important to the experience of being a Hab and understanding what being a Hab is.

The TML just started an alumni club(in last 10 years) and when Wilson became coach he felt a need to teach his players the history of the Leafs. Habs alumni is a walking-talking history and it needs to be nurtured or down the road we'll just have an ancient history.

A few years ago some Minn Twin ballplayer(wasn't the Canadian) didn't know who Harmon Killebrew was. He had no sense of history of his own team. Sad.

So although it shouldn't matter where our players come from, it is important that we have a strong Quebec presence.Does explain my view?

I'm not french i do think we should have french players.. but you know who else wants french players.. everyone... and it's because of the media and french canadiens that they(french players) may not want to come here to be judged and scrutinized every time they make a bad play or what not... it sure happened with MR and he went to dallas and played outstanding, making trades and getting better players( regardless of where they are from) is going to be the only way we can attract french players.. but imho i dont care where they are from as long as they win the cup.. every player on the team could be from russia and it wouldn't bother me as long as we won.

...or if they were all from Quebec. "Just WIN baby WIN!"

Heck if they could find hockey players there they could all be from Niger.. or the Kongo's cuz they speak french.. your minds blown?:P point is winning is all that matters not the Nationality of our guys.

• 2 months later...

Some thoughts on expansion and realignment...

NHL has to expand to 32 teams. Its going to benefit all partees, some markets will get a team, the league will increase the income, the players will have two more teams interesting for their services...i cant explain whats taking so long...Its also imperative to plan a stracture that will last long enough, because stability and parity will grow the hockey fan base.

Canada deserves more teams, because its the national sport we are talking about and the Canadian teams are few enough. The Phoenix experiment should be over. There is USA market with an arena in place, and a huge fan base, that wants a franchise, Seattle. The Seattle Coyotes aren't a bad idea.

There is a team that plays in the East, that should be playing in the West. The Winnipeg Jets should be playing rivalry games with Calgary, not travel to Florida, Carolina and Wasington 12 times a year. Quite unsportsteamlike, not to mention a financial distubution for the club, with all that travelling.

So with the addition off the Jets and the relocation of the Coyotes the West Conference is set. In the East in order to reach 32 teams there has to be a two Canadian teams expansion. The first market is a no brainer. Quebec should have NHL hockey and they have the arena to do so (until a bigger is build), so welcome back Quebec Nordiques. The other market is an obvious one due to population in the Markham area. Tthe problem here is that there is no arena ready yet, but i think a solution of playing games around ACC, Buffalo, Ottawa, for a couple of years can be acceptable, so welcome to the league Markham/Ontario Towers.

This plan will have 32 NHL teams, 16 teams in each Conference divided in two divisions (South - North) of 8 teams each. It will look something like this:

East - North

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Quebec Nordiques

Ontario Towers

Toronto Maple Leafs

Buffalo Sabres

Boston Bruins

Pittsburgh Penguins

East - South

New York Rangers

New York Islanders (or Brooklyn)

New Jersey Devils

Philadelphia Flyers

Washington Capitals

Tampa Bay Lightning

Florida Panthers

Carolina Hurricanes

West - Pacific

Winnipeg Jets

San Jose Sharks

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Vancouver Canucks

Seattle Coyotes

Los Angeles Kings

Anaheim Ducks

West - Central

Chicago Black Hawks

Detroit Red Wings

St Louis Blues

Nashville Predators

Columbus Blue Jackets

Minnesota Wild

Colorado Avalanche

Dallas Stars

Quite nice i think. Each team plays EVERY OTHER TEAM TWICE home and away (31x2=62 g) and an additional home and away matinee against divisional opponents (7x2=14 g) . This is a total of 76 regular season games, 6 less than the current season, but thats ok since you can expand the playoffs. Qualify every team to the playoffs,(32 teams is a number that can get divided until the end, like 32-16-8-4-2-1) by the total amount of gained points and make matchups in each Conference like 1-16,2-15,3-14,4-13,5-12,6-11,7-10,8-9, with the home advantage gone to the highest seeded team. With this scenario you have added two playoff rounds, to replace the 6 lost regular season games and you have every NHL team involved at the playoffs. Quite awesome, i think...The regular season final standings will clarify the draft order, in this case.

Thanks for reading and sharing...

^^^^ Agree with most of what you say except pitt and philly should be in the same division and the playoffs should stay at 16 teams(battle to get into the playoffs is almost as exciting as the playoffs themselves). I would like to see 1 vs 16 format though(only way we will ever get to see a mtl vs tor or bos stanley cup final)

^^^^ Agree with most of what you say except pitt and philly should be in the same division and the playoffs should stay at 16 teams(battle to get into the playoffs is almost as exciting as the playoffs themselves). I would like to see 1 vs 16 format though(only way we will ever get to see a mtl vs tor or bos stanley cup final)

I agree with you, Madpanda. Pit and Phi should be in the same division, those games between them are great rivalry games. I also agree that I wouldn't want to see the league expand the number of playoff teams. However, I wouldn't want to see them expand the number of teams period. If anything, I think the league has watered down its talent too much and doesn't have enough viable markets currently. Sure, there are 3-4 cities you could stick another team in, but there are a good dozen or so that are losing money every year that could be moved or folded.