The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #4 - Montreal Canadiens @ Buffalo Sabres

Rondalsf

I'm just not sure how you've reached these conclusions after 4 games? Before the season I believe you were talking about how Gomez needs to hit 70 points for you to be happy but you didn't act as though it was impossible, and now 4 games and 2 points in (notorious slow starter too) you're writing it off as impossible. Gionta, I can't guarantee will hit 60 points obviously but I'm not sure why he'll be hard pressed to do it he scored at that pace last year, it's very possible and not sure why on earth he'll "likely" miss significant time due to injury. He's been very durable post lockout, so because he took a fluke shot off his foot in the offensive zone last year he's now injury prone?

Our chances of having 1 30 goal scorer IMO, is pretty strong in Cammalleri and it wouldn't surprise me if Gionta was there too based on his production last season. Plekanec and Kostitsyn both have fringe shots IMO as well.

You're making me sound very optimistic, which I'm not, I understand the limitations of the team but I also understand the sea of mediocrity that is the Eastern confrence and actually the NHL.

Because this team is playing exactly like they did last year. There's no change.

No offense

Abominable defense on most nights

Poor puck movement from the back end

No ability to score at even strength

Too many top-six forwards unable to score most nights

Too reliant on the goalie

I guess I'm just fed up and unwilling to pretend that over 82 games, this team will be anything other than what it's been, with the exception of 07-08, for the past decade: the kings of the 8th place finish.

Because this team is playing exactly like they did last year. There's no change.

No offense

I guess I'm just fed up and unwilling to pretend that over 82 games, this team will be anything other than what it's been, with the exception of 07-08, for the past decade: the kings of the 8th place finish.

It's annoying but I guess my point is that on the whole the Eastern conference is incredibly flawed and while our problems seems very significant all teams in our class have a list that long of problems. It's just the capped/floored NHL I suppose. Last year we finished 8th and we were 3 points out of 6th but also 4 points out of 10th. I think it really just comes down to breaks/luck and health when it comes to that many teams that close together. As I said, 5th or 6th in the East wouldn't stun me, as bad as the team was last regular season we were a handful of points from there but a lottery pick wouldn't surprise me either.

My main beef is that the NHL thinks this is what people want but a sea of mediocrity really sucks to watch. Like Buffalo won the division last year and I wouldn't even put them in the playoffs this year. Last night's game was as boring as I can imagine a hockey game being. This is horrible TBH.

No offense

I've come to the conclusion that you do this on purpose to get a rise out of people just to rain on the positive parade...all this after a win....I'd absolutley hate to be you

It's annoying but I guess my point is that on the whole the Eastern conference is incredibly flawed and while our problems seems very significant all teams in our class have a list that long of problems. It's just the capped/floored NHL I suppose. Last year we finished 8th and we were 3 points out of 6th but also 4 points out of 10th. I think it really just comes down to breaks/luck and health when it comes to that many teams that close together. As I said, 5th or 6th in the East wouldn't stun me, as bad as the team was last regular season we were a handful of points from there but a lottery pick wouldn't surprise me either.

My main beef is that the NHL thinks this is what people want but a sea of mediocrity really sucks to watch. Like Buffalo won the division last year and I wouldn't even put them in the playoffs this year. Last night's game was as boring as I can imagine a hockey game being. This is horrible TBH.

I agree with you that the mediocrity in the conference is a. not fun to watch and b. generative of parity that could bounce us up or down a few spots at the end of the season.

But there's no getting away from the fact that we have been one of the worst even-strength scoring teams of the past decade. When the dust settles, I just don't see us doing better than last year. I hope you're right and the team surprises me. But history suggests that we'll finish right where we finished last year.

I mean, seriously, what's our excuse this year? We're pretty healthy with the exception of Markov. It's essentially the same team, not a completely overhauled group like last season. Martin and Pearn have had over a year to put their stamp on the team. Muller, everybody's favorite assistant coach, seems to be more involved this year than ever. And yet this team still can't buy a goal, can't stop its goalie from facing tons of rubber more than occasionally, and can't move the puck with any authority on the back end.

I watch other teams rise and fall. Us? We stay the same. Year after year.

I hope I'm wrong, incidentally. I really hope that the top-six breaks out, at least one of AK and Pouliot has a breakout year, and Markov is able to stay healthy. I hope Carey erases the doubts of his critics with a stellar 10-11 campaign. And I hope to heck we finish comfortably in a playoff spot. But I don't think I will be wrong.

No offense

1. Cammalleri Plekanec

2. Gorges, Hamrlik, Markov are all solid in their own zone

3. Subban and Markov both can make a great first pass

4. really cuz Martin is worried about not scoring on the PP

5. same as 1

6. 20 some shots tonight isn't very reliant on the goalie

All your points are true some nights but its really very hard to right this season off as the same as last year with only 4 games.

I mean defensivly i noticed a great difference in tonights game and the first 2 lines are getting scoring chances they just arn't going in yet I think its only a matter of time before they start hitting the back of the net.

right now toronto is sitting at the top in the east do you really think thats where they will be at the end of the season.... give it a little longer then we can start complaining.

I've come to the conclusion that you do this on purpose to get a rise out of people just to rain on the positive parade...all this after a win....I'd absolutley hate to be you

Anytime someone has a negative opinion people get up in arms but there is legitimacy in weep's points, like I said IMO it's really a fundamental thing, the majority of this forum sees the teams question marks and seems to assume they will all be answered and we'll be very good, a few see the team's question marks and aren't optimistic.

It's really a wait and see thing for me, it's funny but the difference between a good, satisfying season resulting in a 5th-6th place finish and a horrible, time to blow it up type season resulting in a 10th-11th place finish is about 6-8 points, or 3-4 wins.

Have to say I don't understand why he would put Moen up there when we have a more capable, (and more hungry) rookie in need of development.

Cause JM is terrible, the team will be so much better without a grandfather old school old hockey coach.

JM's does not develop young players, he destroys them.

Personally, Eller/Subban/White/Poul need to ask for a trade and get the heck as far from JM as possible.

I hope no one brings up last years playoffs for an example of him being a good coach. The team couldnt score, they put Moan on the line with GG, there defense was horrible and they got terribly outshot EVERY game, what kind of system did they have last year? they had a good goalie standing on his head, JM did nothing. Hell Carbo's ties did more for this team then JM did total.

the kings of the 8th place finish.

Weeeeeeeeeee Areeeeeeeeeee Theeeeeeeeeee Championnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssssss :D:P:mellow::blink:<_<

You're right...It is annoying...Don't know what happened to the team I fell in love with as a kid...Can't turn away now, but it is annoying that it never gets better...

From Stubbs twitter,

Not a big surprise #Habs come back with Price tonight. He's hot, team doesn't play again until Thursday

http://twitter.com/habsinsideout1/status/27553592707

I'm not 100% sure if he's predicting or saying it as a definite but the way it's worded leads me to believe he's saying Carey gets the start.

Archived