The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

I Just Passed My Phd Candidacy Exams

DA_Champion

That was a very difficult month for me, but I'm now a doctoral candidate in astrophysics, woohoo !

It seems that in my isolation I missed out on the hottest Habs start to a season since 2008-09 or possibly longer :-)

Well I guess congrats are in order here...good for man. :D .....and welcome back to the board.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats DA!

I just came back from Ontario where I took a BBP course (it's required every year in my industry)... For those who don't know what BBP is-Blood borne pathogens.

Scary stuff, MRSA is a real concern across North America. I won't go into the details (cos it's too long and it's DA's thread), but those wipes we're now seeing in grocery stores aren't there for fun. I strongly urge you to use those wipes(wipe down the handle on shopping carts), otherwise you'll find out what MRSA is petty quickly and it isn't fun. A 16 year old boy died in states (within the last few months) from MRSA.

Short definition... MRSA is a newer, stronger version of Staph that is immune to penicillin. Anyone who's had a staph infection will tell you it was hell.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys !

Congrats DA!

I just came back from Ontario where I took a BBP course (it's required every year in my industry)... For those who don't know what BBP is-Blood borne pathogens.

Scary stuff, MRSA is a real concern across North America. I won't go into the details (cos it's too long and it's DA's thread), but those wipes we're now seeing in grocery stores aren't there for fun. I strongly urge you to use those wipes(wipe down the handle on shopping carts), otherwise you'll find out what MRSA is petty quickly and it isn't fun. A 16 year old boy died in states (within the last few months) from MRSA.

Short definition... MRSA is a newer, stronger version of Staph that is immune to penicillin. Anyone who's had a staph infection will tell you it was hell.

Damn, every year?

I'm worried these antibiotics are just making bacteria stronger and weakening our immune systems. It does seem we would suffer more if we just got sick, but that might be in the longer-term interest of the species.

Congrats DA...Good for you.

You give some good advice here FS...as I work in the health care industry...am quite aware of the cautions that we all need to be aware of regarding MRSA.

I also will not go into lengthy discussion of this....anyone that needs info on this topic just simply needs to look it up on the computer.

Thanks guys !

Damn, every year?

I'm worried these antibiotics are just making bacteria stronger and weakening our immune systems. It does seem we would suffer more if we just got sick, but that might be in the longer-term interest of the species.

Congrats.

And by the way, antibiotics are the bain of my existence. My cousin has Cystic Fibrosis, which is quite a detrimental disease. I have given her a cold and she had to go to the hospital. Now, every time she gets sick, it gets worse and worse and harder to cure because the diseases get so resistant to everything. I think medicine should be more like my family: If you're sick, though it out. You won't die. Now my immune system is so strong, I don't even get sick every 6 months anymore.

Anyway, my spheal is over. Once again DA, congrats.

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats DA!

Having survived MRSA (got it when I was 13 in hospital), not being able to play football or cricket for 8 months was horrid, and my appendix scar not healing properly from it wasnt fun either.

Though im sure its Methecillin its resitstant to, not penacillin

Grats on passing the exams man!

Archived