The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Dustin Boyd Placed On Waivers

hatethosebruins

Darche has easily been the better player. No reason to waive him, he's exactly the kind of cheap veteran spare part you want on your fourth line.

That said, Boyd must have really fallen afoul of the coaches to get waived this early in the season. It's not like his cap hit is outrageous or anything. I myself haven't seen anything particularly impressive from Boyd but that could easily apply to many other players on the team who aren't on the waiver wire. :D

Darche has easily been the better player. No reason to waive him, he's exactly the kind of cheap veteran spare part you want on your fourth line.

That said, Boyd must have really fallen afoul of the coaches to get waived this early in the season. It's not like his cap hit is outrageous or anything. I myself haven't seen anything particularly impressive from Boyd but that could easily apply to many other players on the team who aren't on the waiver wire. :D

My take is that this might be as much an indictment of our top offensive guys as it is of Boyd. Maybe they're looking to bring up someone from Hamilton who might have a chance of slotting in on the top six?

Our bottom six has, for the most part, done what we need them to or better this year, so I can't see them waiving Boyd just to bring up another spare part. But if you've got to get rid of someone it might as well be Dustin. Darche, like you said, has been doing all we could ask of him so far so it was basically between Boyd and Pyatt. And we know how our coach loves his hard workers ;)

My take is that this might be as much an indictment of our top offensive guys as it is of Boyd. Maybe they're looking to bring up someone from Hamilton who might have a chance of slotting in on the top six?

Our bottom six has, for the most part, done what we need them to or better this year, so I can't see them waiving Boyd just to bring up another spare part. But if you've got to get rid of someone it might as well be Dustin. Darche, like you said, has been doing all we could ask of him so far so it was basically between Boyd and Pyatt. And we know how our coach loves his hard workers ;)

Very nice point, Manatee. I hadn't thought about it that way, but you could well be right: waiving Boyd opens the door for a top-six prospect (Pacioretty) to be called up. Though why they'd do that with Eller and Pouliot already on the team is beyond me. :P

Darche has done much more than Boyd thus far, I completely agree. However, it's hard to say what Boyd could or could not do for us in the long run if given a more extended tryout. He's one of those players who just didn't take right away and is having trouble fitting into the line-up in the role he was given. Darche's play has allowed him to jump Body in the pecking order, and I think the Habs feel that what Boyd can offer is replaceable with a guy in Hamilton.

Apparently, Boyd may stay with the team if unclaimed, but it gives the Habs the option of unloading him and then replacing him at a later date if necessary or else sending him down to the minors. However, I'd be inclined to think that if he goes down, he would have to pass by recall waivers on the way up, which means he likely wouldn't be back. After all, if he's playing well enough to be recalled, another team might jump at a guy they'd only have to pay 300k for. And if he's only playing average, why not recall another guy who doesn't have to pass through waivers and who won't cost you something if he's claimed.

I think the Habs will sit pat on this move for now and either keep him for a bit as the 13th guy or else send him down and stay at 22 players. A subsequent roster move may be in the works (either a call-up or maybe even a potential acquisition), but I don't think it's imminent at this point.

Not sure this is warranting its own thread.... but anyways.

I have to agree with the Manatee here, I think it might be to get someone up to try and spark the line to see if we can start getting some goals.

As for who may or may not be called up, we'll never know until it actually happens. All I know is that if Boyd gets claimed off waivers we gave away Sergei for absolutely nothing at all, and that's just not going to fly with me.

Not sure this is warranting its own thread.... but anyways.

I have to agree with the Manatee here, I think it might be to get someone up to try and spark the line to see if we can start getting some goals.

As for who may or may not be called up, we'll never know until it actually happens. All I know is that if Boyd gets claimed off waivers we gave away Sergei for absolutely nothing at all, and that's just not going to fly with me.

Didn't we get future considerations cause Dan Ellis ditched :P

What a waste. The guy gets 9 games to prove anything and then Gauthier tries to dump him off for nothing. I guess he was supposed to pick up Gomez, Gionta, and Cammalleri's slack?

Totally Agree

Sounds like a Gainey move, or worse

Meh. <_< Don't really care either way. Not too concerned about losing him in the context of the Sergei trade either. What does Sergei have this year? 3 points? Boyd hasn't really shown too much, IMO, and perhaps someone else can show more. Let's not forget that, AT MOST, we are swapping fourth line players, or something... Boyd may even stay with the team if he goes unclaimed.

Meh. <_< Don't really care either way. Not too concerned about losing him in the context of the Sergei trade either. What does Sergei have this year? 3 points? Boyd hasn't really shown too much, IMO, and perhaps someone else can show more. Let's not forget that, AT MOST, we are swapping fourth line players, or something... Boyd may even stay with the team if he goes unclaimed.

Agree. If anything, this move should be seen as a positive. In the Gainey era he would have held on to boyd because "we gave up a top prospect for him" but the reality is that if you just keep spare parts that dont help your team, you arent going anywhere fast. It is irrelevant what we gave up for him - if he isnt working out, he isnt working out.

I like Boyd & his Movember 'stache but I dont think he's the answer to our issues one way or the other.

got to admit its a pretty sneaky way of getting laps some second line time, or is it going to be first in this low scoring top line show. i mean i have to say the one time the tv focused on boyd's face, which was after taking a penalty, he looked worse for wear. he didn't look like he had a team, and judging from that i can see the point of letting him stew, but i'll say this too- who in the world is going to pick him up? like no one. near guaranteed.

got to admit its a pretty sneaky way of getting laps some second line time, or is it going to be first in this low scoring top line show. i mean i have to say the one time the tv focused on boyd's face, which was after taking a penalty, he looked worse for wear. he didn't look like he had a team, and judging from that i can see the point of letting him stew, but i'll say this too- who in the world is going to pick him up? like no one. near guaranteed.

Bet you a pair of horseshoes that Toronto picks him up.

Archived