The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

All-Star Weekend 2011

cup_crazy88

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=340505

According to TSN, the NHL is considering a full-scale change of the current NHL all-star game. Although details are yet to be provided, some suggest that the "interesting" twist would be team captains chose players for each team from a larger list provided by hockey operations.

how would THIS improve the all-star game?.. it would probably be the usual snore-fest it is today. So after reading this article, i actually came up with my own idea and thought that if I had a good idea, probably others out there would also be able to put forth their ideas of how to make that weekend an interesting one again.

So my idea:

Make a 3 on 3 tournament featuring 6 teams, one for each division. Games could last 10 mins long each and could be a 'round robin' style for each conference, seeing the top of each meet in the 'finals'. Teams would be composed of 6 forwards, 3 dmen and 2 goalies. No penalties, only penalty shots for infractions.

Other ideas that are of less importance:

- get "celebrity coaches": Not real celebs, but hockey personalities. Could be retired players etc. For example: Jeremy Roenick, Matthew Barnaby, Chris Chelios, etc..

- Naming players to teams could be either appointed to team coaches or whomever from the NHL, but shouldn't be subject to fan voting. Perhaps people could vote for the celeb coaches who then chose the teams (subject to further NHL approval, make sure the sid' and ovie's are included and so forth).

- ETC..

I guess I think opening up the ice with only 3 players would allow for much more creativity and skill, electrifying end to end rushed and hopefully tons of action. The tournament aspect could allow for some plot or story lines and friendly competition in an atmosphere where players don't need to be overly physical and feel the need to 'avoid' injuries at the expense of quality hockey.

I'm curious to see what others will suggest as well, could be very interesting. Maybe then we could forward this thread to Bettman ;) lol..

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=340505

According to TSN, the NHL is considering a full-scale change of the current NHL all-star game. Although details are yet to be provided, some suggest that the "interesting" twist would be team captains chose players for each team from a larger list provided by hockey operations.

how would THIS improve the all-star game?.. it would probably be the usual snore-fest it is today. So after reading this article, i actually came up with my own idea and thought that if I had a good idea, probably others out there would also be able to put forth their ideas of how to make that weekend an interesting one again.

So my idea:

Make a 3 on 3 tournament featuring 6 teams, one for each division. Games could last 10 mins long each and could be a 'round robin' style for each conference, seeing the top of each meet in the 'finals'. Teams would be composed of 6 forwards, 3 dmen and 2 goalies. No penalties, only penalty shots for infractions.

Other ideas that are of less importance:

- get "celebrity coaches": Not real celebs, but hockey personalities. Could be retired players etc. For example: Jeremy Roenick, Matthew Barnaby, Chris Chelios, etc..

- Naming players to teams could be either appointed to team coaches or whomever from the NHL, but shouldn't be subject to fan voting. Perhaps people could vote for the celeb coaches who then chose the teams (subject to further NHL approval, make sure the sid' and ovie's are included and so forth).

- ETC..

I guess I think opening up the ice with only 3 players would allow for much more creativity and skill, electrifying end to end rushed and hopefully tons of action. The tournament aspect could allow for some plot or story lines and friendly competition in an atmosphere where players don't need to be overly physical and feel the need to 'avoid' injuries at the expense of quality hockey.

I'm curious to see what others will suggest as well, could be very interesting. Maybe then we could forward this thread to Bettman ;) lol..

really good ideas, but i think i have the real solution. disguises.

didnt know where to put this but wth! out of 18 goalies price isnt one of them????? only gionta and cammy were selected for our forwards wth!!!!!!!!! pleks and ak are doing better than them

at least markov is a choice for d disapointed i am.

at least selanne getz and ryan are choices please vote for them!

didnt know where to put this but wth! out of 18 goalies price isnt one of them????? only gionta and cammy were selected for our forwards wth!!!!!!!!! pleks and ak are doing better than them

at least markov is a choice for d disapointed i am.

at least selanne getz and ryan are choices please vote for them!

i'm not sure that you understand the process. this 100 names list is the guys who will appear on the ballot, aking it easy for fans to select them. however, you can write in ANY player you want and vote for him as many times as you want. Also, this list is only for fans votes, to select 3 forwards, 2 D's and 1 goalie. The 36 other names will be selected with another process. I seriously doubt to see Fleury at the ASG this year.

i'm not sure that you understand the process. this 100 names list is the guys who will appear on the ballot, aking it easy for fans to select them. however, you can write in ANY player you want and vote for him as many times as you want. Also, this list is only for fans votes, to select 3 forwards, 2 D's and 1 goalie. The 36 other names will be selected with another process. I seriously doubt to see Fleury at the ASG this year.

Although your correct, the previous poster's point still is very valid imo. I mean how hard did the NHL work at putting this together?.. is the all-star game supposed to reflect a players stats this season, or lasts!?!.. is it a popularity contest?.. the nhl does very little to answer these.

How on earth do the utterly pathetic leafs have 4 players on the ballot?.. (Dion Phaneuf.. really?.. maybe 3-4 years ago..), JS Giguere?.. really!?!?...

few others who should be on the list given their play over last two seasons:

Jay Bouwmeester (mediocre outputs since joining the flames)

Brian Campbell (this isn't his year in Buffalo)

Marc Staal (just getting hyped for the family name)

RJ Umberger (just an attempt to give columbus 2 players i pressume)

Brendan Morrow (sure he was on team canada, but role player, not an all-star)

Brian Gionta (good player, just not A-S quality)

Cam Ward (local sympathy vote)

Nikolai Khabibulin (been playing terribly this year, struggling hard. only 30 games in last 2 seasons).

John Tavares (I guess you could make a case with a decent start this year on a bad team but still.. if he wasn't a 1 overall pick, wouldnt be there. Why not Matt Duchene?.. he slightly more pts then tavares, is a+3 to tavares' -12 and he actually beat him out for the calder last year?..)

I mean just looking at this quickly, i mean this is pathetic..

The list is so ridiculous that it's not worth getting upset about it. My take on this is vote for your favorites if you're interested to participate in the process, whether they're on the ballot or not, and if you're not voting, don't complain about the results **shrugs**

There are many who find the ASG ridiculous and useless to begin with and they usually make valid points. However, I personally like the event for the fun of it, I find it entertaining, and I don't particularly care who is selected as long as they're not complete duds. Of course, it's more interesting for me if one or more Habs are selected so I'll vote and hope, but I wont be overly disappointed if none are present.

In baseball the winning league gets home field advantage in the World series. Although I dislike the idea it might add some spice and maybe give the game some intensity. Though I don't think it would apply in this case because it's not conference vs conference this year. I kind of liked the North American vs the World format they had a few years back.

I think it would be interesting to see Price vs Halak in goal and bring out some type of rivalry like Ovy vs Sid and the 2 Sedins going against each other and see if they can play with others. I think it would spice things up I mean it can't hurt, can it?

If we could somehow stuff the ballot for players like Price or Plekanec (players who fully deserve a place in the all-star ballot, IMO) maybe either player would be chosen after all.

Then again, as long as Price and Halak remain in their respective teams, I don't see much of a rivalry between the Habs and the Blues, unless there was a Habs-Blues Stanley Cup Final.

Current voting results were just released.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=544313

Carey sits #1 for goalies right now with Bobrovski, both write-ins.

Plecky got his write in ballot up to 13, with Cammalleri at 9 and Gionta at 15.

PK Subban has been written in at 9th for defencemen, with Markov being next at 17th.

Current voting results were just released.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=544313

Carey sits #1 for goalies right now with Bobrovski, both write-ins.

Plecky got his write in ballot up to 13, with Cammalleri at 9 and Gionta at 15.

PK Subban has been written in at 9th for defencemen, with Markov being next at 17th.

gotta love our fans. Josh Gorges also has just under 10K votes.

Archived