The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Post Game Reaction

jeff33

this is a general thread for those of you, who like me, like to watch the game with a magnifying glass :P

basically this is a place to discuss game by game who you felt played well, played terrible, pivotal moments, coaching tactics you noticed, and so on.

this is also for me personally, since im living in korea atm and i miss a lot of games :( hahah so help out a habs fan overseas, and also have your say on last nights game

As mentioned above, this could be done in the game day thread but I agree that sometimes in depth analysis can be lost in all the Go! Habs! Go! and other one liners. I'll leave this open but move it in the Gameday section.

However, if this thread becomes just a general melting pot of comments that could have been posted in other threads, it may be closed then.

We have quite a few very good hockey minds on here and good writers too so lets put those games under the microscope and analyze away. :)

that was exactly the kind of game the habs want to be playing in. free flowing clean hockey. that was a very fun game to watch

so first props go to mr price , with ANOTHER shutout. just lights out this year. i saw the shutout coming from the 2nd period.

he did have help though, 3 big plays....hal gill a great diving recovery on kessel who had him beat to the outside....spacek getting back on that big scramble near the end, and most notably travis moen really saving the day with a great back check to stymie the back door play on the PK near the end of the game. that was a goal for sure, and might have given the leafs momentum

line by line, pleks' line looked good....gomez seemed to struggle again tonight...AK looked great...why is moen on that line AGAIN although i did see eller get a few shifts (or maybe it was just crossover during linechanges...but i think he did)

the PHD line is awesome hahah...beauty tip by halpern to score (what a pickup)...pouliot looked very good as well

i thought picard was solid tonight on D, him stepping up really helps fill the vacancy, because he pairs well with subban and it keeps the other 2 established pairs together. subban is a joy to watch

^glitch

i have to call myself out on something here. i have been telling my leaf fan buddies for a while that komi cant connect a pass to save his life, but that was a sweet dish tonight. guess he has some hands after all. must be why he gets the big bucks

^glitch

i have to call myself out on something here. i have been telling my leaf fan buddies for a while that komi cant connect a pass to save his life, but that was a sweet dish tonight. guess he has some hands after all. must be why he gets the big bucks

Yep, that was a real sweet pass to Cammalleri. And we don't even have to pay him.

I know Gomez is not playing well but every time he gets the puck and goes up the ice there is no one there,I know the other players have to be careful not to go offside,but it happened several times in the flies game,he got the puck went forward got surrounded by flies and just had to dump the puck in,that is not his fault when he has nowhere to go and no one to pass too

I have noticed this in several games lately,I don't know much about hockey that is just my observation.

GO HABS GO :D :D

only got to catch the 3rd period of this one...decent third but too little too late

gomez had a very good period i thought...but what was going on with the lines? i barely saw plekanec, did he get benched or was i just not realizing? i know gomez was definetly getting the most ice

saw lots of eller, and he is looking very good

subban getting in that fight was good for him too, that was his first time dropping the gloves if im not mistaken

only got to catch the 3rd period of this one...decent third but too little too late

gomez had a very good period i thought...but what was going on with the lines? i barely saw plekanec, did he get benched or was i just not realizing? i know gomez was definetly getting the most ice

saw lots of eller, and he is looking very good

subban getting in that fight was good for him too, that was his first time dropping the gloves if im not mistaken

the second period was the worst hockey i've seen this team play in quite a while. VERY bad. all of them made bad decisions, bad execution, missed open nets in the very few occasions that they were in the thrashers zone, bad positioning and bad communication that made them bump into each other, totally dominated in the circle, behind the play constantly and obviously the stupid penalties came as a result and there was nothing stopping the downward spiral.

soooooo... that may explain why the lines were shuffled in the third, JM trying anything to make them at least end the game on a stronger note ;)

auld did what he could, this game could have been a blowout, picard did well and eller too. those are the only three that can keep their head high after this game imo

pleki dodged a bullet thanks to lapierre helping to stop him engage in a fight with kane.

gio fought hard but was thrown around like a sack of potatoes all game

moen definitely doesn't know how to play with gomez

gorges had a very difficult game, beaten on races to the puck almost every time (suspect a minor injury in his case though seeing that he was given a couple of therapy days lately)

all in all, this outing by the habs looked like a dance show where more than half of the dancers forgot the choreography or like a B series comedy, take your pick.

the second period was the worst hockey i've seen this team play in quite a while. VERY bad. all of them made bad decisions, bad execution, missed open nets in the very few occasions that they were in the thrashers zone, bad positioning and bad communication that made them bump into each other, totally dominated in the circle, behind the play constantly and obviously the stupid penalties came as a result and there was nothing stopping the downward spiral.

soooooo... that may explain why the lines were shuffled in the third, JM trying anything to make them at least end the game on a stronger note ;)

auld did what he could, this game could have been a blowout, picard did well and eller too. those are the only three that can keep their head high after this game imo

pleki dodged a bullet thanks to lapierre helping to stop him engage in a fight with kane.

gio fought hard but was thrown around like a sack of potatoes all game

moen definitely doesn't know how to play with gomez

gorges had a very difficult game, beaten on races to the puck almost every time (suspect a minor injury in his case though seeing that he was given a couple of therapy days lately)

all in all, this outing by the habs looked like a dance show where more than half of the dancers forgot the choreography or like a B series comedy, take your pick.

ugh

well i did notice 2 of those things defensively....gorges struggling and picard looking steady

the picard thing is actually a very nice surprise, he kinda came out of nowhere this year and is filling a very important hole. he covers for subban really nicely (who also was struggling in the 3rd, none of the risks he took panned out, missed a big hip check and couldnt connect on a couple of what would have been nice breakout passes) its a good pairing

and like i said ill give gomez a checkmark for the third....the very first shift he got in behind the net, threw a check, worked the puck out front and almost banged in a loose puck in front of the net. those are 2 areas he has been criticized for not going to, so im seeing some willingness to up his game. his line actually manufactured a few chances in the 3rd. something to build on anyway, imagine a world with both centers going good

another thing..not that it was a standout game for either, but AK and pouliot both deserve a lot of credit this year. we were all saying its one or the other, or kind of writing off at least one of them, but they have both been good all year and i want them both back next year. (barring some kind of collapse)

ugh

aren't you glad you missed the second period? :lol:

The positives you mention about the 3rd were definitely there. However, they were a bit hard to to see or appreciate after that disaster of 2nd. To be fair I'll acknowledge that the 1st and 3rd period were more evenly matched, in terms of effort anyway. But that 'taking a whole period off' way of playing is unacceptable unless they pick it up significantly , play dominantly and make up for it in the 3rd. If the Habs didn't collapse in the 2nd period, I think we would have had a boring but relatively solid and evenly matched road game performance that we may have won or not.

Instead, we were beaten by a team that used speed, discipline, solid team work and goal tending. Those are supposed to be weapons in our own arsenal. Last night we were out raced, took stupid penalties and gave way too much space to the thrashers to get organized. Out of the 4 weapons, only the last one was loaded.

aren't you glad you missed the second period? :lol:

The positives you mention about the 3rd were definitely there. However, they were a bit hard to to see or appreciate after that disaster of 2nd. To be fair I'll acknowledge that the 1st and 3rd period were more evenly matched, in terms of effort anyway. But that 'taking a whole period off' way of playing is unacceptable unless they pick it up significantly , play dominantly and make up for it in the 3rd. If the Habs didn't collapse in the 2nd period, I think we would have had a boring but relatively solid and evenly matched road game performance that we may have won or not.

Instead, we were beaten by a team that used speed, discipline, solid team work and goal tending. Those are supposed to be weapons in our own arsenal. Last night we were out raced, took stupid penalties and gave way too much space to the thrashers to get organized. Out of the 4 weapons, only the last one was loaded.

wonder if coaches have noticed that. Maybe get their guys to pile it on in the second. :\

wow...interestingly enough, we got outshot by a lot in the 2nd again, but scored 2 goals mwahahaha

actually i blame that on 2 horrible penalties, 2 min to pouliot for making a bodycheck, and 2 min to picard wearing number 45

we totally rolled right over buffalo tonight, all the things we didnt do against atlanta we did tonight. use the speed in transition, nice clean plays in all 3 zones, nice forecheck, it was all there tonight

that 1st line could have had 3 or 4 more goals, fantastic game. beauty 2 on 1 , beauty snipe off an amazing end to end set up. gomez and cammy were pretty quiet until the 3rd i thought, but not bad. strong 3rd for sure. i noticed gomez getting a certain amount of ice with gionta and AK, i think JM is doing it on purpose to get him going. he set up AK for what looked like a sure goal, so it almost worked out.

i really gotta give credit to pouliot again, he is doing a lot of little things right and im noticing him when hes on the nice. to very clever passes in the first , the 2nd of which sprung darche for a scoring chance and he almost buried the rebound following up on it. beautiful backhand saucer pass, kid really has some nice hands. threw his weight around too. im really enjoying him playing with eller, nice to see hes getting more ice time with a skill player.

felt so bad for price...goal looked soft too, but i know as a goalie that wrister from the point is tricky, you dont hear it coming. you train to react to the sound of the shot when its through traffic. leopold leads the nhl in goals for a d, guess its worked for him before. you could see carey was disappointed, he deserved it. played great though AGAIN

nice fight by moen, and he stuck up for cammy right at the end of the 1st. everyone enjoy don cherry's 2 cents? "this sickens me...if your gonna drop the gloves, drop him" ...as the camera is showing cammy with his gloves off trying to fight kaleta or whoever. good eye don, and btw your point made no sense even if you were right

great game habs

This victory vs. the Sharks today was somewhat lucky, outshot by a considerable margine with opportune scoring. The way it seemed to me the Habs gave it what I would also call a "limp wrist" effort. By that I mean soft passes with low intensity overall and for the better part of the game one where the Habs were running around, late to act/react, cautious and slow of foot.

But they won... go figure. Carey Price 1st star again... I guess.

It was once again annoying to see the officials triny to give the Sarks the opportunity to get back in once they were down. Habs never got the chance on the powerplay even though a number of times the refs closed their eyes on opposition infractions.

One in particular really peeved me... Pavelski kneeing Pyatt who them got creamed against the boards with the zebra watching the whole play develop... and no call. Chinzy penalties against the Habs for marginal plays that are automatic because they suspect holding or hooking, while ignoring things that are worse and in some cases dangerous plays.

ugh

really good first period until the 5 on 3....i thought the call on cammy was really marginal, but whatever....great kill and gorges gets stuck in the corner and we give one up with a second left which turns out to be the dagger. so heartbreaking. bad play by gorges, but i thought the same thing he did, as soon as he got it it was on his backhand and i thought oh no dont pitchfork it strait into the air and take a penalty...that hesitation caused him to get swarmed and pucks in the net in 2 seconds. so i understand but he has to make that play

2nd period was wretched, penalty trouble just ruined everything. 2nd goal was seriously a great play by cleary, who got dumped by picard and made the pass anyway...and a perfect shot by kronwall.

then we finally got a pp, which actually looked good, and then pouliot gets trapped trying to carry the puck in and datsyuk goes down and scores a highlight reel goal. detroit just makes you pay :(

3rd period was a great period, we came out hard like we had to, beautiful goal by pouliot, and pressured until the end. brutal pass by spacek to give up the empty netter....but i had a little qualm with martin earlier in the period for not putting the guns together...i was hoping he would put cammy with eller and BP....then what happens at the end of the game...pleks makes a beauty pass out front and darche , who god love him has no hands, cant get a shot off. back to the point, cue jaro, game over. i really wish it wasnt darche out there, sometimes you just have to cave in and put out the hero line

anyway, great games in particular by:

gionta

hamrlik, wow, great game

the 4th line (boyd came so close to tying it near the end)

subban had a good third period, not a great game to judge his comeback since we had so much penalty trouble, but he looked good in the third when we got our flow going

all in all it was a positive to see that we can make a close game out of it against the best team in the league, a little more discipline and it could have had a happier ending

detroit sure is good though, wow. i was happy to hear the announcers compare our team game to theirs, we do have a good group that plays a solid team game, much like they do...the only real difference is their star power advantage

December 10th Habs @ Detroit... The Redwings hooked, interefered, slashed, tripped and boarded too... one stinking powerplay? And not just in the third period BTW.

If not for the obvious lack of fairness by the officials, this game could have been a great one... and IMO the Habs would have won.

Even a Detroit fan had this to say... As a hockey fan in general, I agree that the officiating tonight was more than a bit suspect, and objectively, the calls were in the Wings favor. http://habsinsideout.com/boone/41236

JM said it best... that at least one powerplay in the third period may have helped (his way of saying the Habs were notgiven any breaks by the Zebras). But that's the NHL eh!!!

This reminded me of a game against the Canes a few season ago when the habs got 10 or 11 penalties and the canes only got one near the end of the 3rd period. What a way to spoil one of the great match-ups of the season. If you want to call, call in all the periods and on both sides. if you want to swallow your whistle, that's fine too but do it before puck drop :rolleyes:

WELL TONIGHTS GAME SUCKED AND WHY WAS PRICE NOT IN NET AND SUBAN BACK IN THE STANDS.THOSE DECISIONS ARE WHY WE WILL NOT WIN A CUP WITH MARTAN

Please dont post all in Caps. Its difficult to read and considered shouting.

Another stinker... but that's what the N(otoriously)H(opeless)L(osers) want eh!

The last two games have to be the worst officiated games I've witnessed this season... but what else could you expect knowing that the NHL rarely runs things by the book and the Zebras simply do what they are instructed, to forget the Rulebook, favor teams in need and do as they are told at the behest of the powers that be...

Its NHL On The Fly depending on what the League deems necessary to protect the bottom line IMO. Window dressing officiating (just like the WWF). And that's their idea of entertainment. Fairness is not a word in their vocabulary. Selective maintenance is the order of the day.

Another stinker... but that's what the N(otoriously)H(opeless)L(osers) want eh!

The last two games have to be the worst officiated games I've witnessed this season... but what else could you expect knowing that the NHL rarely runs things by the book and the Zebras simply do what they are instructed, to forget the Rulebook, favor teams in need and do as they are told at the behest of the powers that be...

Its NHL On The Fly depending on what the League deems necessary to protect the bottom line IMO. Window dressing officiating (just like the WWF). And that's their idea of entertainment. Fairness is not a word in their vocabulary. Selective maintenance is the order of the day.

My new favourite term! :D :D

Well said!

Archived