The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Post Game Reaction

jeff33

This was the most disgraceful show of unsportsman like conduct I have ever seen I think the whole thing was disgusting and both teams made to pay,the play should have been stopped both teams sent to the dressing room and the game made void, there are no excuses for fighting under any circumstance,that is not sport that is thuggery,

Do you guys think if roles were reversed (if Thomas had Price down) would Thomas swing a few punches? I know we will never know, and maybe cause I am still upset about the "beatings" we got...but something tells me Thomas would not have been as "respectful" as Carey was. oh well.

Strongly disagree. I think they were both on the same page ie: lets not get hurt. Thomas would have absolutely done the same thing IMO. He's one of the few good guys on a team of guys I otherwise can't stand.

I don't even know where to start about last night's game against the B's. I guess first of all, let's just say that neither coach had to be happy with the way their team played defense last night. The players were all over the ice, as if it was 5-on-5 pond hockey and no one really had a position to cover. How many times did we see two of our guys covering one of their guys and leaving another man wide open in the slot or crease? Sadly, this didn't change as the game went along either, meaning there were no adjustments made. The team seemed to get caught up in the fighting and scoring and forgot altogether about puck movement, defensive zone coverage, or back-checking.

Usually, after a dirty game like this one, we talk about what penalties were missed, but again, I want to focus this time on not just what could have been a penalty but what could have merited a misconduct or game misconduct:

- Marchand had two hits from behind and one late hit after a whistle, which started a brawl. He made several hits that put our players' safety in jeopardy and that is the type of thing we should have had a big guy come and pound on him for. After the game, he had the nerve to comment on the Habs being the dirty team and running interference on him, but come on man, no one's broken their neck from interference, but plenty have been hurt by slewfoots, shots form behind, and late hits while they're touching up the puck. Marchand could have easily been given a major penalty on at least one occasion.

- Price definitely gave out the first shot on Lucic, I won't argue that, and Lucic came back at him with a push. But then he dropped himself on top of Price, and after the scrum had broken up and the refs pulled him away, he went back at Price for a gratuitous shot late. Giving him an extra two wasn't enough. This was possibly the moment when the refs lost control of the game, after letting Lucic off easy. He should have received a 10 minute misconduct for unsportsmanlike play after the fight had been broken up.

- During the brawl after the late Marchand hit, Chara came running in and started hitting Pacioretty after the latter was already engaged with another Bruin. Now I understand Chara had a score to settle, but when your 6'9" and your half a foot taller than your opponent, have the guts to do it face to face while the refs are there. I thought that was an utterly cowardly move from Chara, the same guy who refused to fight Laraque how many times last year? Nevertheless, the refs let Chara off easy in this case by awarding everyone 2 minute roughing penalties. Chara must have landed a good 8-10 punches and all the players had their gloves off throwing them. This wasn't a scrum with player holding each other, there were punches flying, and Chara was quite obviously the 3rd man into that fight and should have been expelled from the game.

- Thomas, on the same play, came flying down the ice looking for a fight. If that's not an instigator penalty, what is? I think it's pretty obvious Thomas was the first one to want to fight given that he traveled 170 feet to do so. Not only was no instigator penalty called, each goalie also received the same penalty for "leaving the crease." However, if you look at the replay, Price was still in his crease and it was the referee who can be seen pulling Price out of the crease. So how can the ref penalize him for that? In any case, Thomas should have been expelled as well for instigating a fight and for doing so while another fight was in progress. The Bruins seemed to think this would be the case also, since they had Rask getting ready and because they have gone through this before and their goalies have previously been sent to the showers for the same thing.

- Gregory Campbell in one of the last fights, beat Tom Pyatt to a pulp, but the replay shows he was hitting Pyatt repeatedly with the plastic of his elbow pad. Now I know that if a player is wearing a cast or protective gear, he's not allowed to fight with this one, or it's an automatic game misconduct and suspension. I don't see how this is much different. Campbell was using his gear as a weapon and clearly did damage because he cut Pyatt on the cheek. It wasn't like it was 1 or 2 shots where he couldn't get it out of the way, Campbell continued to use it even though Pyatt had pretty much turtled and wasn't throwing punches. This to me was one of the worst offences of the night, and on the theme of the Bruins being hypocrites when it comes to headshots and player safety, it showed zero respect for an opponent. To me, this is a minimum 5 game suspension for a guy who is a repeat offender. I don't know how the league can turn a blind eye to a guy using a weapon in a fight.

- Finally, Adam McQuaid attempted to start a fight with Max Pacioretty at the end of the game. And once again, the refs chickened out and gave him 4 minutes for roughing, but when you drop the gloves and throw that many punches to the back of an opponent's head, to me that's fighting, and to boot, it's instigating a fight in the last 5 minutes of a game, which again should have been a game misconduct (a moot point by then) and possibly a 1-game suspension (not a moot point).

This is not to say the Habs were clean all night, they did their fair share of hitting and fighting too, but I just can't believe how many possible suspendable or ejectable offences were not taken seriously enough, and then you wonder why the game gets out of control when players get off-setting minors for repeatedly slamming someone in the head. For clarification, this is the official NHL rule on what constitutes a fight:

"46.1 Fighting – A fight shall be deemed to have occurred when at least one player (or goalkeeper) punches or attempts to punch an opponent repeatedly or when two players wrestle in such a manner as to make it difficult for the Linesmen to intervene and separate the combatants."

To me, McQuaid meets this definition, as does Chara when he was the third man in.

Regarding Campbell, I think he meets this NHL definition of what an aggressor in a fight is:

"46.2 Aggressor – The aggressor in an altercation shall be the player who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position or who is an unwilling combatant.

A player must be deemed the aggressor when he has clearly won the fight but he continues throwing and landing punches in a further attempt to inflict punishment and/or injury on his opponent who is no longer in a position to defend himself.

A player who is deemed to be the aggressor of an altercation shall be assessed a major penalty for fighting and a game misconduct.

A player who is deemed to be the aggressor of an altercation will have this recorded as an aggressor of an altercation for statistical and suspension purposes."

With respect to Lucic going back after Price once the fight had broken up, the rulebook says this:

"46.5 Continuing or Attempting to Continue a Fight - Any player who persists in continuing or attempting to continue a fight or altercation after he has been ordered by the Referee to stop, or who resists a Linesman in the discharge of his duties shall, at the discretion of the Referee, incur a misconduct or game misconduct penalty in addition to any penalties imposed."

This is the rule re: Thomas coming down the ice to start a fight after the original scrum, and note that the original scrum does not necessarily have to be called a fight, just an "altercation," which is defined as any incident involving two players where at least one is penalized:

"46.7 Fighting After the Original Altercation - A game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any player who is assessed a major penalty for fighting after the original altercation has started.

Notwithstanding this rule, at the discretion of the Referee, the automatic game misconduct penalty may be waived for a player or goalkeeper in the altercation if the opposing player was clearly the instigator of the altercation"

Again, after reading over the rules, there is no doubt in my mind several of the Bruins players could have and should have been tossed from this game and failure to do so by less-than-competent refs led directly to more play outside the rules as the night went on, putting the safety of the players and the integrity of the contest in jeopardy.

last night broke the camel's back.despite the score we have a superior offense.but we were physicaly outgunned fightin wise,and have been since george was let go.game in and out we not only have to contend with biased officiating,but also the cheap shots that go uncalled!i knew this day would and did'nt want to see it.it's pretty sad seeing moen playin the cop when that's not his role.he might not win but always shows up!little gionta and plekanic never back and that's heart!what about big gill? should have engaged that punk chara instead of just standing next to him. i still think that hamerlk and spacek are def. liabilities but they showed up. so did pyatt, and pouliot.they did the best they could considering their abilities, and i'm proud of them.up until the last 2 yrs,we've always had a cop who could kick tail.so instead of gauthier keepin george, he throws the stars to the lions every night! other teams know that we have no 1 to physically neutralize their goons and take advantage.we fans need to let the org. know that we refuse to see a repeat of little big horn again!bettman and especially cambelle should be investigated.he taught junior well.pick on smaller players or if they scrap better than you then jump him.beating a man phyisically is 1 thing.beating him mentally and he'll probably never be the same.this team was built on pride and heart and those that don't have it can hit the door cause we don't want you. i hope that gauthier and martin reads these posts caus the next move is theirs.i for 1 want the best fighter i've seen in 30yrs. back.MISS YOU BIG GEORGE!

that's the biggest flaw of mercy mike.it's wasted on those who don't deserve it!

Do you guys think if roles were reversed (if Thomas had Price down) would Thomas swing a few punches? I know we will never know, and maybe cause I am still upset about the "beatings" we got...but something tells me Thomas would not have been as "respectful" as Carey was. oh well.

So Colin Campbell comes down on Gillies and Martin of the Islanders for the brawls they were in, citing that they were suspended 9 and 4 games respectively for delivering repeated blows to the heads of opponents who were unable to defend themselves... doesn't that sound an awful lot like what his son Greg did to Tom Pyatt, using a piece of equipment no less. Yet Campbell wrote that off without having anyone else even take a look at the incident. Sounds to me like Campbell Jr. should have received something in the same neighbourhood: on the one hand, the start of the fight wasn't as blind-sided but on the other hand that's balanced out by using a weapon against a guy who's already turtled and not throwing punches. My guess is that Campbell deserved 6 games give or take for his actions, yet he walks off scott-free because his dad is in charge. Absolutely absurd how the league is running this game.

VS. the Sabres: After jumping ahead to a 2 goal League I was looking for the Habs to keep up the pressure and add to that total... but after one good period the team seemed to be on cruise-control much of the time after that trying to protect or hang on to the lead. What were they (and I mean everyone including the coaching staff) thinking?

We did it...beat the canes with Auld in goal....glad for the win for him.....was a huge crucial 2pts tonight....the boys came through.

Whew.

For those who doubted the attendance in Atlanta last night...

"The announced attendance for the game in Atlanta was 11,156, but the actual turnout was less than half that number."

From Montreal Gazette

Wow, that's a bit shocking. Like I posted in the GDT, when the Bulldogs played the Phantoms at the Bell Centre last Friday, the announced attendance was around 14,000.

I really don't think this franchise has a future, Atlanta isn't a hockey market at all and nobody is buying into it. The same will happen if they decide to re-locate to Kansas or Vegas, just move them to a hockey market already... it's clearly not working out.

VS. the BOOINS: Convincing win... dangerous hit by Chara (probably won't be suspended... though I believe he should be). Lucic, being the idiot, tried to get Pouliot into a fight (payback for Krehci?)... showed his true colors as another one of the Bruins dirty players that like to bully.

I cannot say enough bad things about Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton for trying to start another goon show late in the game by going after Benoit Pouliot and P.K. Subban with about three minutes remaining. Especially after the events at the end of the second period. I, unlike a lot of Habs fans, have never found Zdeno Chara to be a particularly malicious player. I feel like he should be given a suspension for what happened because he was clearly going after Pacioretty to lay out a late hit (the puck was clearly gone). IMO, Zdeno probably didn't want to injure Pacioretty, but he did want to lay him out. Probably for the minor shove two games ago.

It's the classless Lucic/Horton goon squad that really irks me. Especially Nathan Horton. A guy who acts so tough now because he's got all kinds of "toughness" backing him up. Pathetic! I cannot stand hockey players who constantly choose to chase down other players who do not fight, or are clearly mismatched. Especially in the case of P.K. Congratulations Nathan Horton (over 6', over 220lb)... You want to pound a 21 year old kid. <_<

I cannot say enough bad things about Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton for trying to start another goon show late in the game by going after Benoit Pouliot and P.K. Subban with about three minutes remaining. Especially after the events at the end of the second period. I, unlike a lot of Habs fans, have never found Zdeno Chara to be a particularly malicious player. I feel like he should be given a suspension for what happened because he was clearly going after Pacioretty to lay out a late hit (the puck was clearly gone). IMO, Zdeno probably didn't want to injure Pacioretty, but he did want to lay him out. Probably for the minor shove two games ago.

It's the classless Lucic/Horton goon squad that really irks me. Especially Nathan Horton. A guy who acts so tough now because he's got all kinds of "toughness" backing him up. Pathetic! I cannot stand hockey players who constantly choose to chase down other players who do not fight, or are clearly mismatched. Especially in the case of P.K. Congratulations Nathan Horton (over 6', over 220lb)... You want to pound a 21 year old kid. <_<

Exactly he knew what he was doing & who it was for sure.

I decided to wait and digest all of the anger I felt regarding the hit by Chara on Max-Pac, as well as the comments from players coaches, media and fans.

As expected... controversy, advocacy, discrepancy, ignorance and tolerance is the result.

I shake my head in wonder when the expressions regarding "intent to injure" and pleading innocence are spewed by the culture that surrounds the game (players, coaches, media, fans and last but not least, the NHL). The expression should read, "I didn't intend to terminally injure". Anyone that buys into players not wanting to hurt others with physical agression are plainly naive.

The severity, recklessness and context only add to the fact that violent play does exist, is tolerated to an unacceptable degree and is supported by deliberate ignorance hiding behind the mantra, "Hockey is a rough physical sport".

It is all a crock of bull and not what should be... but is and will probably continue to be.

Suspension is warranted... but even at that and whatever the length may be, will not correct the problem at the source.

Chara hit-to-injure on Pacioretty ..... best incite on the whole thing, from Scott Stinson of the National Post:

National Post, Scott's Stinson -- aka, NHL, Mackenzie et al have head in sand, trying to mind read (and it is useless)

For what it's worth, I really like Bob McKenzie. I find he's one of the very few sane and reasonable analysts out there. At this point, I think he's analyzing the situation from a historical perspective, and is trying to gauge what Chara should get when compared to previous incidents. That doesn't preclude him from being a supporter of mandatory suspensions for certain infractions. He might very well be in favour of something like this in the future, but at this point he is just trying to go on precedent. Nothing wrong with that.

Archived