The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What's Your Best Personal Sports Moment Of 2010?

Forever_Habs10

What's your best personal sports moment of 2010?

That is, not your favourite memory of something that happened in the world of popular competition, but your own best sporting experience from your personal life or the life of someone you know.

Did you score the winning run in your high school baseball championship? Maybe you finally beat your co-worker in that ongoing one-on-one hoops rivalry that takes place in your driveway. Perhaps your daughter scored her first hat trick, or your brother brought home the top prize in his fantasy football league and took you out for a nice dinner. Or maybe you met your favourite athlete.

Your moment can be quirky, incredible, heartwarming or hilarious; the only condition is that it has to be true. :D

My best sports moments were in racewalking. First, I more than reached my goal of completing 5k under 40 minutes, with my last competitive race so far this year being 39 minutes, 39 seconds. I also had an unexpected side benefit, losing more than 25 pounds.

The racewalking has made me feel so much better, and I have been cleared by my doctor to train for 10 miles. I think it can be done.

Scoring in the 90th minute for my football team, chested it in from the corner

Spartans 3 - 2 Briefield Celtic <3

Or putting up a stand of 67 getting 41 n/o for my school in cricket in the y11 v y10 game, we lost the game by 12 runs, (the stand of 67 was final two wickets, I batted 10th haha, 11th was out LBW)

Also, lost four stone because of increasing my sport a lot :D

A young 9-year-old relative of mine is a rebid baseball fan. He plays Little League, but was not blessed with the gift of athleticism. After a season in right field (begging all the while to bet given the opportunity to pitch), his coach put him on the mound for the last inning of the last game.

He struck out the side...batters 3, 4, and 5.

• 4 weeks later...

Not 2010, but last weekend my house league hockey team travelled to an away tournament about 3 hours away. Our first game on friday, we lost 5-2, then got killed 6-0 the next morning. We had one more game (the "C" division semi final), and if we won it would put us in the C finals.

I let in a couple softies, but we were tied at the end of the 2nd at 2-2. At the 7:30 mark, they scored their second goal of the third, and we were losing 4-2. I dug in and made some great saves, and our team rallied back to tie (tying goal with 1:20 left).

After tying in regulation, we went into a shootout right away. We were already pumped up from tying it, and I was nervous about the shootout. I took a deep breath and calmed myself down. For time constraints, both teams shot at the same time (2 pucks at centre ice). The first time, the other shooter tried to deke and i poke checked the puck away. I looked up, and saw the shooter from my team score. Thn on to the second shooter, another poke check save, and I look up to see my team's shooter score again, and that had to have been one of the best moments of my sports career. The whole teamspilled onto the ice, and we got to stay at the tournament another day :D.

We went back to the hotel, partied it up, and then played the C final the next morning. I let in a kinda iffy goal in the first, but after that played one of my best games ever. My team scored once in both the 2nd and 3rd periods, setting the stage for another exciting ending. We were up 2-1 with 1:30 left, and they had pulled their goalie. It wa a minute and a half of good hockey, thay had some good shots, but my defensemen and I shut the door and we won the game :)

It was just so exciting to go from losing ourfirst two games to winning our next two in such intense fashion. The shootout was just such a euphoric victory, and it really helped bond our team in my opinion. We were down 3 players from injuries, and we had a short bench, but both times we came through with a win.

My son played in the Atlantic Hockey Group's Spring Development League here in Nova Scotia. It's a 12 game spring league. My son's team won the gold medal by a 3-2 score. My son had 2 of the goals for his team and won the MVP award. He was in the league for 5 seasons and has 1 bronze, 1 silver and 3 gold medals.

Archived