The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2011 NHL Entry Draft

AK-1

I'm Saint John Sea Dogs Fan, i'm proud of Memorial Cups winning, I wish Montreal Canadiens draft Zack Phillips, Center. It will be nice if no one take him then we can chance take him? he is not small player, but over average heigh. He can stand front of Goalie and great pass someone through dangerous zone. what i want but up to GM decide.

I'm Saint John Sea Dogs Fan, i'm proud of Memorial Cups winning,

Not to go off topic here,but...

From St.John myself dude...we had a thread opened discussing the sea dogs through the memorial cup...to their victory. B)

Moneypuck - there's a poster I have missed.

Yea...have not seen him around for some time....tell him I also say hi.B)

Never mineeeeeee.....I'll say it myself :P.....hello there Moneypuck.....long time,no see.

Alot of people compare Jurco to Schremp because of his moves, but he's far better then Robbie. Jurco reminds me alot of Marian Hossa. He's incredibly hard to knock off the puck. He's a sneaky good playmaker, as well as a talented goal scorer. He came over from Slovakia right before the season, and looked lost for the first two months. THEN he started to get used to the north american game, and put up 31 goals and 56 points in 60 games. Scary thing is he's still behind: he's a late birthday and is STILL adapting to North American Hockey. Still adapting...with 56 in 60. He's 6'2, 193lbs. Anyone who watched any games in the Memorial Cup knows that he was dynamic and, at times, outplayed Huberdeau. The puck just seemed to find this kid in that tourney, as he raised his game on the biggest stage. Forget about the fancy videos for a second and just look at the facts. The guy compares to Marian Hossa and Pavel Datsuk favorably.

Now, I hate to disagree, but respectfully, Rocco Grimaldi does not. Look, he's got a lot of heart (which lots of players do). He put up some points in the United States development league and that's really a nice thing to do. I've been lucky to actually see this kid play and he is alot of fun to watch but I just don't see how he translates at the NHL level.

I know, someone is going to make fun of mock drafts and call them "mockeries" and it's all funny, but when NHL scouts, not bloggers, but scouts, make mock drafts, I tend to take some small grain of stock in them. The highest I have read this kid going is 23rd, with the average being around 38th overall. He ranks 32 amoung NORTH AMERICAN skaters in the final CS ranks, down from 25 in the midterm. He's at best an early second rounder. I'd be suprised by early second round. I'd be dumbfounded if he's in the first round. I'd be shocked SHOCKED if he's in the top 20 (which he won't be). 5'6, 163lbs. I'm sorry, he may turn into Marty St. Louis, but do we really, honestly, need a 5'6 player??? Honestly, is that what we want???

I know someone is going to make an judgment based on his numbers in the USHL and his size and compare him to Marty St. Louis, but I think the best comparison is Gabriel Dumount: Tears it up in Juniors. I mean, he used his size to his advantage in juniors, scored a lot of points, fun to watch that sortta thing. But it just won't translate at the NHL level. Maybe he suprises me and becomes a superstar, but the facts say a lot. I know alot of people are interviewing him, but not for the first round. If we got him in the third, I'd be pretty happy. I'd temper my enthusiasim, because I know he's probably going to make it as far as the second line in Hamilton, but I'd be happy none-the-less. Brendon Gallager, a prospect in our system, is a better prospect then this kid, and he went in the third. I hate to disagree, but respectfully, I disagree. We have enough 5'6 players. We need something else

Alot of people compare Jurco to Schremp because of his moves, but he's far better then Robbie. Jurco reminds me alot of Marian Hossa. He's incredibly hard to knock off the puck. He's a sneaky good playmaker, as well as a talented goal scorer. He came over from Slovakia right before the season, and looked lost for the first two months. THEN he started to get used to the north american game, and put up 31 goals and 56 points in 60 games. Scary thing is he's still behind: he's a late birthday and is STILL adapting to North American Hockey. Still adapting...with 56 in 60. He's 6'2, 193lbs. Anyone who watched any games in the Memorial Cup knows that he was dynamic and, at times, outplayed Huberdeau. The puck just seemed to find this kid in that tourney, as he raised his game on the biggest stage. Forget about the fancy videos for a second and just look at the facts. The guy compares to Marian Hossa and Pavel Datsuk favorably.

Now, I hate to disagree, but respectfully, Rocco Grimaldi does not. Look, he's got a lot of heart (which lots of players do). He put up some points in the United States development league and that's really a nice thing to do. I've been lucky to actually see this kid play and he is alot of fun to watch but I just don't see how he translates at the NHL level.

I know, someone is going to make fun of mock drafts and call them "mockeries" and it's all funny, but when NHL scouts, not bloggers, but scouts, make mock drafts, I tend to take some small grain of stock in them. The highest I have read this kid going is 23rd, with the average being around 38th overall. He ranks 32 amoung NORTH AMERICAN skaters in the final CS ranks, down from 25 in the midterm. He's at best an early second rounder. I'd be suprised by early second round. I'd be dumbfounded if he's in the first round. I'd be shocked SHOCKED if he's in the top 20 (which he won't be). 5'6, 163lbs. I'm sorry, he may turn into Marty St. Louis, but do we really, honestly, need a 5'6 player??? Honestly, is that what we want???

I know someone is going to make an judgment based on his numbers in the USHL and his size and compare him to Marty St. Louis, but I think the best comparison is Gabriel Dumount: Tears it up in Juniors. I mean, he used his size to his advantage in juniors, scored a lot of points, fun to watch that sortta thing. But it just won't translate at the NHL level. Maybe he suprises me and becomes a superstar, but the facts say a lot. I know alot of people are interviewing him, but not for the first round. If we got him in the third, I'd be pretty happy. I'd temper my enthusiasim, because I know he's probably going to make it as far as the second line in Hamilton, but I'd be happy none-the-less. Brendon Gallager, a prospect in our system, is a better prospect then this kid, and he went in the third. I hate to disagree, but respectfully, I disagree. We have enough 5'6 players. We need something else

What is interesting about Grimaldi, is that his talent level is undeniable. Give him a respectable frame (e.g. 5'10) and he is in contention for 1st overall, without a doubt. The only thing going against him is his size. Skating? Top notch. Playmaking ability & vision? Great. Shot? Present. Tenacity? Yes. This kid is for real. You have to look beyond his stats in the USHL and at the U-18 World Championships. Every time he carried the puck, you knew he was going to do something great because he is such a dynamic player offensively. I don't care if he's 5'6, with his elite skill level and elite compete level, I foresee him having a good NHL career. If he is available at 17, Gauthier, Timmins and company will have no choice but to take a long hard look at Grimaldi. There is no way he makes it to the 3rd round. None.

Of course Gallagher is better, he is minimum a top 10 steal for the first round.

Gallagher was a steal, but he was selected in the fifth round. If I were the Habs, I would go for Oleksiak if he is available in round one and make a trade to move up to grab Jurco in the late first or early second round. I have a feeling about this kid.

Gallagher was a steal, but he was selected in the fifth round. If I were the Habs, I would go for Oleksiak if he is available in round one and make a trade to move up to grab Jurco in the late first or early second round. I have a feeling about this kid.

Oleksiak is my pick, Ive heard a few kids who are fans of other teams and read alot of articles, hes being talked about a lot so it would be surprising if he makes it to 17th from just outside the top ten.

Oleksiak is my pick, Ive heard a few kids who are fans of other teams and read alot of articles, hes being talked about a lot so it would be surprising if he makes it to 17th from just outside the top ten.

I have been on the Oleksiak bandwagon from the start of the season and I believe he will be available when the Habs pick.(Siemens,Beaulieu also)Khokhlachev my choice the further into the season it got(Mark McNeill,Brandon Saad,Boone Jenner will be available at #17)My gut feeling is the Habs are going for size with talent,leaving Khokhlachev to Washington.I see no point moving up or down in the draft as the players between #11-30 don't have much separating them unless we can get two later 1st picks or a later 1st and a early 2nd rounder.I don't see any eyepopping choices being available other than Larsson and Nugent.

I have been on the Oleksiak bandwagon from the start of the season and I believe he will be available when the Habs pick.(Siemens,Beaulieu also)Khokhlachev my choice the further into the season it got(Mark McNeill,Brandon Saad,Boone Jenner will be available at #17)My gut feeling is the Habs are going for size with talent,leaving Khokhlachev to Washington.I see no point moving up or down in the draft as the players between #11-30 don't have much separating them unless we can get two later 1st picks or a later 1st and a early 2nd rounder.I don't see any eyepopping choices being available other than Larsson and Nugent.

Your the one who got me on the Oleksiak wagon since the 1/4 mark of the season :lol:

The thing is, BPA tends to be the mantra of scouting staffs, and at 17, I get the feeling Oleksiak won't be the BPA. Especially if Jurco or Puempel are still on the board.

he would add size to a team that desperately needs it, he fits our needs to fill out the bottom 6 with a tough big defensive d-man. Oleksiak and Tinordi would make a great pairing.

he would add size to a team that desperately needs it, he fits our needs to fill out the bottom 6 with a tough big defensive d-man. Oleksiak and Tinordi would make a great pairing.

You don't draft a d-man in the middle of the 1st round, because he's tough and can fill out the bottom 6...Besides Larsson, Hamilton and Siemens (and maaybe Beaulieu) there aren't real good d-men worth a 1st IMO. There will be at least 2-3 good skilled guys left at 17 and I think we should go that route!

You don't draft a d-man in the middle of the 1st round, because he's tough and can fill out the bottom 6...Besides Larsson, Hamilton and Siemens (and maaybe Beaulieu) there aren't real good d-men worth a 1st IMO. There will be at least 2-3 good skilled guys left at 17 and I think we should go that route!

We have 22 days until the Habs make that choice,should be interesting though a lot of second guessing in that time no doubt.

Yea...have not seen him around for some time....tell him I also say hi.B)

Never mineeeeeee.....I'll say it myself :P.....hello there Moneypuck.....long time,no see.

Hello.

Geez this thread is only a handful of pages long, where did our draft hounds disappear to? I'm disappointed.

Anyways if anyone has any questions feel free to shoot, I'll check back here periodically leading up to the 24th and answer. Also after the draft I'll come back and give reports on whoever the team takes.

Your the one who got me on the Oleksiak wagon since the 1/4 mark of the season :lol:

20 days until the Entry Draft 2011 and Jamie Oleksiak was impressive indeed at the Combines;top ten in low body fat and about three other categories where he placed 1st or 2nd but in the top ten for about ten, over 100 top athlete's vying for the hockey draft positions.Mark McNeill also did well and surprisingly Namestnikov did make a couple of the top ten list.To view the results go to Edmonton Oilers .com

20 days until the Entry Draft 2011 and Jamie Oleksiak was impressive indeed at the Combines;top ten in low body fat and about three other categories where he placed 1st or 2nd but in the top ten for about ten, over 100 top athlete's vying for the hockey draft positions.Mark McNeill also did well and surprisingly Namestnikov did make a couple of the top ten list.To view the results go to Edmonton Oilers .com

Not sure I like the idea of going for another project tall defenseman. To me, this pick just screams Tinordi all over again. Big Very big guy, decent skating relative to the height, with little offensive abilities and who could bring a mean streak.

Archived