The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2011 NHL Entry Draft

AK-1

For the eighth pick, I think you def. have to add Gallager, or at the very least another mid level prospect. I honestly believe what we could get at the Eighth is going to be significatly better then anything we have in our farm system. It's scary, but you have to trade a lot to get a lot, and being passive just lets other teams pass you by.

The 17th, Gallager and the rights to Wiz is a fair deal for the 8th. It sounds like Howden wants to make a big splash down their in Columbus this year and sign a big ticket forward, which honestly, counts us out of this thing anyway. That team was crying out for an offensive d-man, so in theory it sounds perfect. But in the end I think the Flyers will get that deal done and send Carter there for the 8th and a guy like Jakub Vorocheck (rumoured deal).

I wonder how many banners their going to hang up here in Philly? I live in Philly, and I'll tell you, they don't want to trade Carter, but they know what they'll get with the Eight pick is special, and Vorocheck isn't a bad player either. Couple that with a new goalie (if they get him signed), they pretty much gained in this deal. They'll have Coutorier, Strome, or Zinbenjad on the cheap for the next few years as they turn into stars. It'll be fun watching us loose to them because we didn't have the stones to throw in Gallager or Leblanc into a package with the 17th and Wiz or Weber. Fun. But it's all good we kept Gallager, he's going to be a great Bulldog's for YEARS to come.

For the eighth pick, I think you def. have to add Gallager, or at the very least another mid level prospect. I honestly believe what we could get at the Eighth is going to be significatly better then anything we have in our farm system. It's scary, but you have to trade a lot to get a lot, and being passive just lets other teams pass you by.

The 17th, Gallager and the rights to Wiz is a fair deal for the 8th. It sounds like Howden wants to make a big splash down their in Columbus this year and sign a big ticket forward, which honestly, counts us out of this thing anyway. That team was crying out for an offensive d-man, so in theory it sounds perfect. But in the end I think the Flyers will get that deal done and send Carter there for the 8th and a guy like Jakub Vorocheck (rumoured deal).

I wonder how many banners their going to hang up here in Philly? I live in Philly, and I'll tell you, they don't want to trade Carter, but they know what they'll get with the Eight pick is special, and Vorocheck isn't a bad player either. Couple that with a new goalie (if they get him signed), they pretty much gained in this deal. They'll have Coutorier, Strome, or Zinbenjad on the cheap for the next few years as they turn into stars. It'll be fun watching us loose to them because we didn't have the stones to throw in Gallager or Leblanc into a package with the 17th and Wiz or Weber. Fun. But it's all good we kept Gallager, he's going to be a great Bulldog's for YEARS to come.

I have to disagree there. The rights to Wiz are worth very little to a team like Columbus, whose odds of retaining him are probably quite low. I think it would take more than Gallagher to swap 17th for 8th overall, so my guess is that you would need to include either Weber or Pouliot and possibly another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I have to disagree there. The rights to Wiz are worth very little to a team like Columbus, whose odds of retaining him are probably quite low. I think it would take more than Gallagher to swap 17th for 8th overall, so my guess is that you would need to include either Weber or Pouliot and possibly another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

And if they want that impact forward, this deal will still lose out to Carter. Pleks name would have to enter the conversation to compete with Carter. (And you would need to add since Carter's value > Pleks).

And if they want that impact forward, this deal will still lose out to Carter. Pleks name would have to enter the conversation to compete with Carter. (And you would need to add since Carter's value > Pleks).

I'd agree with you that Pleks is one of the few players we have who is comparable in value to Carter. However, I don't think you'd have to add to that. Pleks is a number one center in this league, maybe not a premiere number one guy but he gets the job done. If you're looking for a bigger body who can score, then yes, Carter is your guy. But Pleks is a much better two-way player and I think a better skater too. furthermore, Columbus is really searching for the guy who can play with Nash and I think Pleks is a better set-up guy whereas throwing Carter on that line would mean you have two scorers but still no one to get them the puck as well as Pleks does. In terms of overall value, I don't think Carter has anything on Plekanec and frankly I wouldn't trade Pleks straight up for Carter if I were the Habs. Add on to that fact that Carter has a higher salary/cap hit and I think for Columbus, Carter and Plekanec would have equal value. All that said, Plekanec is just about untouchable for me and I wouldn't deal him for an 8th overall pick.

I'd agree with you that Pleks is one of the few players we have who is comparable in value to Carter. However, I don't think you'd have to add to that. Pleks is a number one center in this league, maybe not a premiere number one guy but he gets the job done. If you're looking for a bigger body who can score, then yes, Carter is your guy. But Pleks is a much better two-way player and I think a better skater too. furthermore, Columbus is really searching for the guy who can play with Nash and I think Pleks is a better set-up guy whereas throwing Carter on that line would mean you have two scorers but still no one to get them the puck as well as Pleks does. In terms of overall value, I don't think Carter has anything on Plekanec and frankly I wouldn't trade Pleks straight up for Carter if I were the Habs. Add on to that fact that Carter has a higher salary/cap hit and I think for Columbus, Carter and Plekanec would have equal value. All that said, Plekanec is just about untouchable for me and I wouldn't deal him for an 8th overall pick.

Agreed and Howson isn't going to give away his #2 guy in Voracek for an aging and injury prone Carter.That would be suicide for a GM doing a trade like that,Carter gets freedom of movement due to the physicality of the Flyers.He wouldn't have that in Columbus he would have to earn his openings.

91 points in 66 games. Gallagher is not gonna stay in Hamilton for years. He is not a mediocre prospect, he is one of our best.

Agree 100% there, it just seems like perceived value around the league/media puts Carter ahead of Pleks.

The more I think about the upcoming draft,Tyler Biggs,Brandon Saad are probably more likely to get drafted by the Habs.These two wingers could conceivably make the team,they have a complete game and are physically ready to play in the NHL.I'll probably change my mind again by tomorrow but one of those two would help beef up the forwards a bit.

I can't believe I wrote that stuff yesterday,but,my picks stand the way they have for months now.Just watching the Bruins-Canucks series drives me insane,the crap the Bruins are allowed to pull on international TV irks me to the Nth degree.BPA as usual!

Agree 100% there, it just seems like perceived value around the league/media puts Carter ahead of Pleks.

I won't disagree with you here. I don't know if everyone in the media would side with Carter, but I do believe people value his size and offensive numbers more than they value Plekanec's all-around skill set. Plekanec is a hard-working player who probably doesn't get the recognition he deserves, just like Datsyuk in his earlier years in Detroit or St. Louis after he started scoring in Tampa Bay. Smaller players who weren't top-round draft picks have an uphill climb to get noticed.

I really wouldn't trade Plecky unless we got BLOWN AWAY with an offer. He is simply our best offensive player and a number one center. Here in philly, alot of people look at him as a more skilled/less physical Mike Richards: he can play on any line in any situation. There are alot of players who are sort of like that, but Plecks is def. at the top. It should be interesting to see what happens. In the end, I think the eighth goes to Philly in a deal.

No matter what, I'm sure we're going to get something great with the 17th pick. There are a ton of good players available. Should be fun!

Carter will have problems playing his game without the big boys in Philly backing him up.

How about? Brassard + 8th overall pick for Plekanec

The reason players have avoided coming to play in Montreal is the team wasn't going anywhere until Bob Gainey came and rebuilt the organization back to the level to compete with the elite teams.(Hamilton&Montreal)Pierre Gauthier has carried that through and has done a remarkable job,having the Molson's rejoin the team will only ensure that this team will continue to become Champions again.Trading away the heart and soul players or core players will create the same atmosphere that pervaded the team for the decade before.So no I wouldn't dream of trading Plekanec,Markov,Gorges and you get the Idea.Team first is what made the Canadiens such a great organization to be part of over the last century and will again.Loyalty to the people that make a great business great is a huge incentive to be a part of for smart individuals.

With the draft not starting until 7:00p.m. on the 24th,,,does this mean only the 1st round goes that night,, and the rest on Saturday??

If I'm correct htl..yes.

Also...

PROSPECT OLEKSIAK MUST DECIDE - U.S. OR CANADA FOR WJHC

Jamie Oleksiak has a decision to make.

Is the 6-foot-7, 244-pound defenceman who is a likely top 20 pick in this year's entry draft an American or a Canadian?

Oleksiak, 18, was born in Toronto and played most of his minor hockey there, but his father is an American and the Northeastern University freshman possesses dual citizenship.

Last December, Oleksiak was invited to and accepted an invitation to try out for Team USA just prior to the 2011 World Junior Championship in Buffalo, NY. But Oleksiak didn't make the final roster and, to this point in time, has not played for the U.S. or Canada in any sanctioned International Ice Hockey Federation event.(Oleksiak did play for Team USA in the 2009 Ivan Hlinka U-18 tourney in the Czech Republic, but it's not considered an official IIHF event for purposes of determining nationality).

In other words, his options are wide open for him to determine now whether he wants to play for the Americans or the Canadians. Had Oleksiak made the U.S. world junior team and played in the 2011 WJC, it would be a moot point now -- he would be locked in as an American.

With Zdeno Chara-like physical qualities, it's no surprise that Hockey Canada has significant interest in him for the Canadian national junior team. It seems certain he'll be a first-round pick in next week's NHL entry draft and it would surprise no one if he's a strong consideration in the top 20 of this year's draft class.

Hockey Canada will announce today its invitees to its summer evaluation camp. It will be interesting to see if Oleksiak's name shows up, but even if it doesn't, that doesn't preclude it from being added at a later date.

Ultimately, it's Oleksiak's call and one can only imagine it's a difficult decision for an 18 year old.

Oleksiak was born and calls Toronto home. He played his minor hockey there until he left as a teeanger to play minor hockey in the Detroit area.

He then played three seasons in the United States Hockey League before attending Northeastern in Hockey East this past season. His Ontario Hockey League playing rights are owned by the Saginaw Spirit, who took him 137th overall in the 2008 OHL priority selection.

There's apparently no firm timeline on when Oleksiak will make his decision. It could happen as early as today or it could wait until after the NHL draft, but at some point the big defenceman is going to have to make the choice between the Maple Leaf and the Stars and Stripes.

From Toronto huh....you don't think maybe,<_<

Lucky Number 17

Friday, 17.06.2011 / 8:00 AM

/ News , canadiens.com

MONTREAL -- In case you find yourself wondering what kind of player the Canadiens' 17th overall draft-pick of 2011 might turn out to be, there's no better place to find the answer than the past. To give you an idea what the Habs' newest prospect could accomplish, we've put together a decade-by-decade greatest-hits list of players that have been drafted 17th, spanning all the way back to 1963.

The 1960s – Deciding on the best 17th overall draft choice of the 1960s wasn't much of a challenge considering one of those players was Bobby Clarke. Drafted by the Flyers in 1969, Clarke quickly turned into the heart and soul of the Broad Street Bullies en route to an amazing career that carried him all the way to the Hockey Hall of Fame. On top of his two Stanley Cup rings, the one-time Flyers captain is also the only player ever drafted 17th who managed to maintain a point-per-game average over the course of his career, posting 1210 points in 1144 games in the NHL.

The 1970s – The 1970s was the only decade in which every single player drafted 17th overall wound up playing in the NHL – even if none of them enjoyed particularly astonishing careers. At the front of the pack, Duane Sutter (the Islanders' 1979 pick), edged out a member of another great hockey family, Dave Hunter, who was the Canadiens' pick in 1978 – despite never actually donning the iconic jersey. Sutter and Hunter put up similar stats with both collecting just under 300 points apiece in around 700 games. When it came to hoisting the Cup, Sutter had the edge thanks to the four he won with the Islanders compared to Hunter's three with the Oilers.

The 1980s – The Islanders used their 17th overall pick in the 80s to snatch up another Sutter, this time one by the name of Brent – the current head-coach of the Calgary Flames. Probably the best skater in the family, Brent Sutter, just like his brother Duane, would go on to bring home the Stanley Cup four times for the Islanders. By the end of his career, Sutter had registered 829 points in 1111 games, including 102 points during the 1984-85 season. The Canadiens also get an honorable mention for their selection of Andrew Cassels in 1987. With 528 assists to his name, Cassels, who would go on to play for a total of six NHL teams, is topped only by Bobby Clarke for assists recorded by a 17th overall draft pick.

The 1990s – It would seem that when it comes to the 17th overall pick, it's usually forwards that make their mark. While defenseman Barret Jackman may have caught our eye thanks to his 2002-03 Calder trophy, it still wasn't enough to convince us that the Blues 1999 pick was the best of the decade. That distinction goes instead to Jason Allison, despite having a career that was ultimately affected by numerous injuries. Drafted by the Capitals in 1993, Allison scored at least 70 points in each of the four seasons he played where he managed to stay off the injured list for an extended period of time.

The 2000s – Another unanimous decision: Zach Parise. Since his arrival in New Jersey, the Devils' first-round pick of 2003 was the team's top scorer in four of his six seasons with the franchise – a number that probably would have been higher had he not been sidelined for almost the entirety of the latest NHL campaign. Parise put up 45 goals and 94 points over the 2008-09 season.

Alexandre Harvey is a writer for canadiens.com. Translated by Justin Fragapane.

Canadiens.com is offering the chance to win an official Canadiens draft cap!

Play GM and try to predict who will be the Canadiens first pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. If you guess correctly, you could win an official Canadiens Draft Cap.

Better hurry, you have until June 24 at 1:00 p.m. ET to make your pick. If you need any help, check out the top prospects lists below. Good luck!

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=490476&navid=DL|MTL|home

Didn't the habs draft chipchura a couple years back with the 17th pick?

18th overall. So not all is lost.

Archived