The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Your Very First New Car

My very first new car was a 1975 Trans Am. That was my baby. Then i went and got married. :lol:

I dont have an original picture of it but it was identical (including colour) to this one...

75TAblueblk_106.jpg

:lol: What happen to the bike?

Sweet ride, HTL! :)

I actually have never bought a "new car." I just dont see the point of driving off the lot & losing 30% of the value. My wife and I have a pattern - every few years we buy a car that is 3 or 4 years old. I sell mine, she gets the new one & I get hers (I really only use mine for the commute to work to be honest).

Which reminds me, its probably time to start looking for a new (to us) one :)

Fixed.....and very nice ride indeed. B)

75TAblueblk_106.jpg

I actually have never bought a "new car." I just dont see the point of driving off the lot & losing 30% of the value. My wife and I have a pattern - every few years we buy a car that is 3 or 4 years old. I sell mine, she gets the new one & I get hers (I really only use mine for the commute to work to be honest).

I hear you Jed.I dont buy new anymore either for that same reason. I have to say though that i payed less then $6000.00 fully loaded back then ( the good old days :lol: )and i drove that car for 14 years and sold it for $5500.00. Not too bad. :D

Fixed.....and very nice ride indeed. B)

75TAblueblk_106.jpg

That was called midnight blue and not leaf blue. :lol::lol:

I got that car the same week that the movie Smokey and the Bandit premiered. It was funny watching peoples reactions comming out of the theater as i drove by.

I've never bought a car yet (I'm 16), but I agree with you here. Even looking at the cheapest cars, instead of paying $14k for a brand new compact car with no options, you could pay 14k for a 30 thousand dollar car that's a few years old.

On topic, that Trans Am is/was a sharp looking car!

My very first new car was a 1975 Trans Am. That was my baby. Then i went and got married. :lol:

I dont have an original picture of it but it was identical (including colour) to this one...

75TAblueblk_106.jpg

Cool - my first new car was similar to this one - 76 T/A 455 4 SPD. Goldenrod Yellow Fully loaded - handled like a gem - wish I would have kept it . :DB)

This one which was on ebay has a 400 hp 455 - wish I had had the $$$$$$$$$$$ to spend on it - would buy it on a heartbeat . :DB)

76TA4554SPD.jpg

Its in awesome condition. B) They stopped offering that 455 after the 74 model. I wanted that engine for mine but it wasnt available. Settled for the 400 which actually had some great pep to it. I'll always have fond memories of the T.A.,,,,as you said,,,great handling car.

My first family vehicle.....what a ride....and a classic it was.B)

beverlyhillbillies.jpg

I bought my first car (used) when I was in high school, a '75 Ford Maverick. Had a 302 V8. Could that thing move. When I finished university, I started a job in sales, so I got my first 'new' car. The great thing was it was a company car, an '85 Celebrity, white with black trim and rally rims. I really liked that one.

Its in awesome condition. B) They stopped offering that 455 after the 74 model. I wanted that engine for mine but it wasnt available. Settled for the 400 which actually had some great pep to it. I'll always have fond memories of the T.A.,,,,as you said,,,great handling car.

Actually the 455 was available up to 1976 - which mine had - bought it new right off the show room floor - if you lit it up you could get about 100 ft. of rubber out of it -it was all about Pontiac Torque . :DB)

Actually the 455 was available up to 1976 - which mine had - bought it new right off the show room floor - if you lit it up you could get about 100 ft. of rubber out of it -it was all about Pontiac Torque . :DB)

Interesting. When i ordered mine in 75 i wanted the 455 and was told it wasnt available so i assumed it applied to the 76 model also.

The car was hard on rubber. :lol:

Interesting. When i ordered mine in 75 i wanted the 455 and was told it wasnt available so i assumed it applied to the 76 model also.

The car was hard on rubber. :lol:

It was also available for 1975 -- from what I heard it came out a little later That year - you just could have missed it .

Heres a cool vintage pic of a Bran new 1975 T/A 455 being put through the ringer at a GM Facility . :DB)

GM-455.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Never ..... I always buy 1-3 years used cars and generally drive them into the ground. I really like my Infinity G35 I have right now; I wasn't forking out full schickle for it though.

Now bikes, I go brand new!!

Here's my current ride: Cervelo R3 -- all carbon including the wheels. Under 15 lbs. Yeah, I've plunked down less schickle on a (used) car. :lol:

Cervelo_R3_2011_blue_white.S.jpg

I've never had a new car, but this will suffice - a bona-fide land rocket, and a convertible to boot. And it was mine.

It had a 400 big-block engine, with a 400 Turbo-Hyrdamatic automatic transmission. And yes, it was very fast.

69gto.JPG

GTO - The Great One - GTO Tiger!

Very nice car!

What year was your goat?

Bought a lot of cars when I was a mechanic. By the age of 23, I'd owned 22 different cars.

Most of them Chevy's and Pontiac's.

Montee Carlo's (77-79-81)

Malibu's (73-78-80)

Beetle (73 clutch-o-matic)

Jimmy (77 big truck!)

Ford Granada (78)

Mustang (69 fastback 302 boss)

Bonneville (68) everyone thought it was a gto

Trans Am (87) kinda like the night rider one

Nissan Micra (84)

Dart (76-dodge)

Those were all the road worthy ones.

Bought a lot of cars when I was a mechanic. By the age of 23, I'd owned 22 different cars.

Most of them Chevy's and Pontiac's.

Montee Carlo's (77-79-81)

Malibu's (73-78-80)

Beetle (73 clutch-o-matic)

Jimmy (77 big truck!)

Ford Granada (78)

Mustang (69 fastback 302 boss)

Bonneville (68) everyone thought it was a gto

Trans Am (87) kinda like the night rider one

Nissan Micra (84)

Dart (76-dodge)

Those were all the road worthy ones.

How was that mustang :rolleyes:

Never had a new car in my life. I didn't get my license until I was 25 and have been driving other people's cast offs ever since.

• 3 weeks later...