The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Penalties

Habs101-1

Guest habs1952

Why is it that a skating team like the Montreal Canadiens (le Habitants)are the most penalized team in the NHL? Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Laziness.

Guest habs1952

Lack of Motivation as well.

And if you can't get motivated playing in Montreal you best move on. Go play in Florida or Phoenix where they really don't care.

A defending team that is constantly sitting back waiting to counter attack while the game is being brought to them tends to hook and hold when they get tired of chasing in their own zone, if you notice they always take penalties about 35-45 seconds into their shifts. That and an unreal amount of too many men on the ice penalties.

Some of our players have trouble counting to 6 and thus don't realize when there's too many men on the ice.

Plus the refs don't seem to like us very much. How many times this season have we seen one of our guys get cross-checked or high-sticked in the face without a call, only to have the refs call a questionable hold against us 90 seconds later? Too many.

True but Subban is certainly not old and he's 2nd in the league for minor penalties.

He's also the most targeted person in the league imo. Some of these penalties can't be avoided just because of the sheer number of run-ins he has. Thankfully White is stepping in more for that area now.

I have noticed a few of our younger players tend to get into trouble quite frequently. The NHL is a faster game, and for an inexperienced player I suppose this can lead to a higher frequency of infractions. Does anyone know where Eller, Pouliot, and Subban are on the team in penalties? I am guessing they are up there on the list of most penalized Habs.

True but Subban is certainly not old and he's 2nd in the league for minor penalties.

2nd in the league!? :blink: Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

I think the stoic and disinterested-looking coach we have is more of the problem.

I think that's a cop out. TSN showed a more than lively JM at practice the other day. Just because he doesn't do it on the bench for the people in the stands to see or watch on tv doesn't mean he is disinterested. You, nor anyone else here, knows what JM is like during the intermission. I will tell you one thing, last game if looks could kill, half of this team would have been dead. JM did not look happy one bit, he looked down right p'd off. I think it's time we get off the JM looks disinterested horse because that's just a lazy excuse for the players lack of discipline.

I have noticed a few of our younger players tend to get into trouble quite frequently. The NHL is a faster game, and for an inexperienced player I suppose this can lead to a higher frequency of infractions. Does anyone know where Eller, Pouliot, and Subban are on the team in penalties? I am guessing they are up there on the list of most penalized Habs.

2nd in the league!? :blink: Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

1)Subban (106 PIM) 38 minors, 4 majors, and 1 misconduct

2)Hamrlik (77 PIM) 31 minor, 1 major

3)Plekanec (60 PIM) 28 minors

4)Pouliot (73 PIM) 24 minors, 3 majors, and 1 misconduct

5)Eller (44 PIM) 22 minors

It might be going over my head right now,but how can they have Plekanec at 60 PIM if he only has 28 minors at 2 minutes a minor :huh:

The rest.

It might be going over my head right now,but how can they have Plekanec at 60 PIM if he only has 28 minors at 2 minutes a minor :huh:

The rest.

Halpern is similar.... double minors?

Guest archey

i could be wrong, but taking penalties means you're comfortable in your game, but you've been beaten- sort of like holding 3 of a kind to a full house in poker. it means from time to time you have to be challanged by someone who knows your patterns and can sort of give you the heads up before hand. now JM was a goalie so that leaves pearn and muller. maybe they aren't quite as good in anticipating fouls as some other staffs?

One thing people have to realize, rookies are going to take penalties and so are our top guys. But for different reasons, for a rookie it's a faster game than they're use to, a skilled vet blows by them and they put out the arm or stick to slow them down. Considering we have so many rookies on this team (due to all the injuries) I'm not surprised.

And it's totally normal that guys playing 20-25 minutes a game(like pleks on the top lines, the PP and the PK) are going to have more penalties than guys playing only 5-10 minutes a game... Law of averages.

I think part of it comes down to simply not being a very physical team. Look at our top penalty takers; only one is a "physical" player, and not even an overly physical one at that (Pouliot). That means that we do rely on skating and positioning a lot, which means two things:

1. If you're trying to overtake a guy while skating rather than through playing the body, you're probably more inclined to use the stick

2. If you're defending passively (position) rather than aggressively (physical), you're probably more likely to get caught on a tripping, hooking, or holding penalty if the guy is going to beat you

Also, having a lot of younger guys doesn't help either, as FirstStar mentions above - look at how three of our top five are either rookies or sophomores. On that note too, being a "smaller" team than most doesn't help the problem because in the physical battles along the boards they're mismatched, so they might instinctively resort to tactics like holding to gain an advantage.

I could be way off on that, but they're almost "instinctive" actions in both cases, which is why I thought of it that way.

Given Eller and Pouliot's limited ice time compared to Subban, Hamrlik, and Plekanec, they must be leading in PIM per time on ice. :blink:

And if you can't get motivated playing in Montreal you best move on. Go play in Florida or Phoenix where they really don't care.

Or Atlanta! It's time for Florida or Atlanta to fold up shop and move to Winnipeg and get the Detroit Red Wings in the Eastern Conference where they belong. As a Red Wings fan it kills me not to be playing Montreal, Toronto, and to a lesser extend Boston and New York Rangers 6-8 times a season. Leave the redheaded step child of the Orginal Six (Chicago) out in the Western Conference though, as they are in the Central Time Zone.

• 1 month later...

Archived