The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game 78 - Canadiens (41-29-7) At Hurricanes (36-30-10)

EHIW

Location - RBC Center, Raleigh, North Carolina

Television - TSN (HD), RDS (HD), Fox Sports-Carolinas (HD)

Last 10 - Montreal - 4-6-0, Carolina 5-4-1

-//Season Series\\-

GM 1 - CAR 2 - 7 MTL

GM 2 - MTL 3- 2 CAR

GM 3 - CAR 3 - 4 MTL

-//Preview\\-

It's a showdown featuring a pair of teams coming off big victories on Tuesday night. While the Canadiens ended a scoring drought that lasted almost 200 minutes in a 3-1 win against the Atlanta Thrashers at the Bell Centre, the Hurricanes got a huge boost in their playoff hopes with 3-2 shootout victory at Washington. Combined with Buffalo's regulation loss at Toronto, the Hurricanes moved within three points of the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

Canadiens-- Roman Hamrlik helped avoid what would have been a dubious honor as he prevented the Habs from being shutout in a franchise record fourth straight game at 12:56 of the opening period of Tuesday's 3-1 win against Atlanta at the Bell Centre. Mathieu Darche scored 11 seconds later for No. 6 Montreal, which is two points ahead of the New York Rangers.

"I don't even know if I got it because there were so many guys in the front of the net," Hamrlik said after scoring his first team's first goal in 199:01, a span of 10 days. "The most important thing is we got two points. As a team we worked much better than we did the last game and that's huge, to get some confidence to go on the road."

Hurricanes -- Carolina enters Wednesday's action just three points out of a playoff spot, and they have Jeff Skinner to thank for it as the rookie forward scored a goal and converted his shootout attempt to lift the Hurricanes to a 3-2 win against the Capitals on Tuesday night at the Verizon Center.

Skinner's goal tied the game at 2 less than two minutes into the third period, when his shot knuckled past Washington goalie Semyon Varlamov.

"This Skinner kid's a pretty special shooter," Carolina coach Paul Maurice said. "So before I qualify that shot as not real strong -- he's put enough by goalies from strange angles, that now you just accept it and say maybe he saw it."

Who's hot -- Skinner now has goals in two of his last three games and continues to make a strong case to be a Calder Trophy finalist as the NHL's Rookie of the Year.

Injury report -- Montreal will be without Andrei Markov (knee), Josh Gorges (knee), Jaroslav Spacek (knee) and Max Pacioretty (concussion, cracked vertebra). … Carolina is boasting a healthy lineup as Joni Pitkanen returned from an illness on Tuesday night.

Stat pack -- The last time Montreal failed to score in four straight was back in February 1928. … Tuesday marked the third day in a row that the Hurricanes and Buffalo played on the same night. That will be the case for each team for a five-game stretch until they meet April 3 in Raleigh.

Puck drop -- "The two points are all that really matters at this point," Price said. "When you have teams creeping up behind you, just putting two points on the board is the biggest thing." -- Canadiens goalie Carey Price

I hope the Canadiens don't think that because they scored three goals (one, empty net) that tonight they don't have to work as hard for their opportunities. I can, honestly, see this being another downer of a game. Habs scoring a goal, sure, but losing in a game where they will be non-competitive. Afterward the media will say, "Hurricanes were desperate, Habs were not." I could be wrong, but... I doubt it.

Really REFS

1, The call on PK for diving what a joke Nancy Karrigan couldn't of landed that Silouette. For God Sakes.

2, And the only people that missed that Gill call where the Hot Dog vendors. How did they miss the cut, not to mention the raspberry on his face.

If i was JM i would be on a conference call with Betman (AKA WEASEL), and the head of the ref's and go APE.

Anyways big game tonight. GO HABS GO

I hope the Canadiens don't think that because they scored three goals (one, empty net) that tonight they don't have to work as hard for their opportunities. I can, honestly, see this being another downer of a game. Habs scoring a goal, sure, but losing in a game where they will be non-competitive. Afterward the media will say, "Hurricanes were desperate, Habs were not." I could be wrong, but... I doubt it.

I think we'll actually see a stronger performance tonight than last night. Last night was about getting the monkey off their back and I think there were still a lot of nerves kicking around until we put the two points in the books. I expect a more upbeat and confident game all around tonight.

That doesn't necessarily mean we will get the win though. I think we'll play pretty well, but the desperation factor you mentioned may still very well come into play. Should be an exciting one IMO, I'm thinking high tempo B)

Well, I know I'm very noob yet about hockey, but seeing how we won the three games this season against Hurricanes and our and their position in the chart, I think we can win this match to continue our way to the playoffs if the team really puts guts tonight.

I will put my clock in hour to watch the game via streaming (what else can I do, meh... It's very hard to be a hockey fan here, lucky you Canadians xD), I hope I won't miss the chance to enjoy another great game of the Canadiens, hehe.

Guest olddude

I think we'll actually see a stronger performance tonight than last night. Last night was about getting the monkey off their back and I think there were still a lot of nerves kicking around until we put the two points in the books. I expect a more upbeat and confident game all around tonight.

That doesn't necessarily mean we will get the win though. I think we'll play pretty well, but the desperation factor you mentioned may still very well come into play. Should be an exciting one IMO, I'm thinking high tempo B)

I sure hope you're right, none of the "big guns"lit the lamp lastnight, let's hope they get it going tonight.

GO HABS GO

EHIW Your GDT is just great

All the info we need,I cannot wait

For the puck to be dropped tonight

We need to win ,not to have to fight

Until the last game of the season

We need this game for that reason

Last nights game gave us back some confidence

But we still need to work on the defence

It's nice to see our forwards helping at our end

That is not where all their time they should spend

It's goals we need more than ever now

Getting forward to score is how

You will score goals to win again

We need to give Cam Ward some pain

I am sorry my rhyme isn't the best

Was too excited last night couldn't rest

Another fix from my team would put me at ease

So come on guys another win if you please

GO HABS GO :D :D

Guest olddude

Well, I know I'm very noob yet about hockey, but seeing how we won the three games this season against Hurricanes and our and their position in the chart, I think we can win this match to continue our way to the playoffs if the team really puts guts tonight.

I will put my clock in hour to watch the game via streaming (what else can I do, meh... It's very hard to be a hockey fan here, lucky you Canadians xD), I hope I won't miss the chance to enjoy another great game of the Canadiens, hehe.

Sure hope your right, the thing about Carolina, is they have a very good goalie when he is on his game and this doesn't help a team that can't score. This could end up being a goalie duel Price vs Ward.

GO HABS GO

Just to be sure about the hour difference between here and there... Right now is 13:25, or 1:25 PM, am I right?

I know this is a veeeery stupid post and probably you're laughing at me, but I won't take any offense by that. xD It's just that I want to ensure I can watch your game tonight, and if I'm not mistaken, I can do it at Spanish 1:00 AM exactly. I really enjoyed last game against Thrashers and I want to continue supporting your team from the other side of the Atlantic ocean, so I want to be extremely sure about this. n-nU

Thanks in advance.

Just to be sure about the hour difference between here and there... Right now is 13:25, or 1:25 PM, am I right?

I know this is a veeeery stupid post and probably you're laughing at me, but I won't take any offense by that. xD It's just that I want to ensure I can watch your game tonight, and if I'm not mistaken, I can do it at Spanish 1:00 AM exactly. I really enjoyed last game against Thrashers and I want to continue supporting your team from the other side of the Atlantic ocean, so I want to be extremely sure about this. n-nU

Thanks in advance.

According to your post time,,,,that is correct Sonic.

P.S. Its OK to refer to the Habs as YOUR team also,, and not just ours. ;)

Common Habbies! They need to win this one, hopefully they don't sit back after scoring last night. It's a proven fact scoring more goals = winning more games! Go Habs Go!!

Btw: did you guys read about the donut that Hammer won for scoring the first goal? Haha maybe that's the kind of motivation they need every game!

For this game tonight we have to take command

We have to show we are not just another boy band

We have to get out there and bang that drum

Not taking penalties that are just dumb

We have to get out and sing at the top of our voices

There is nothing left we have no choices

This game tonight will be very hard and rough

We are playing a team that want it bad enough

We have to prove we want it too

You know just what you have to do

Ward is fast and he is quick

Take no time to make a pick

Which of you is going to shoot

As to who scores I don't give a hoot

Last nights win was good for us

But we need to get a rythm that would be a plus

So come on guys get out there and play

Co's in the playoffs we want to stay

GO HABS GO :D :D

28722_1246078006083_1653408635_574069_5616545_n.jpg

Howdy folks, hope to have a very good night tonight!

Tonight is very very very important.

I'm gonna miss a bit of the game but hope to be back for the second period...maybe the third.

Was just wondering if anyone knows who's gonna be between the pipes for the Habs tonight. I really think they have to put Price back in there. Especially since he got the shut out last night. I know the score was 3-1, but the 1 goal Atlanta scored doesn't count since they cheated.

Go Habs Go!

Great GDT!

I just love how my leafs fan of a boss always "coincidently" makes me work late whenever theres am important Habs game on. :angry:

Howdy folks, hope to have a very good night tonight!

Tonight is very very very important.

I'm gonna miss a bit of the game but hope to be back for the second period...maybe the third.

Was just wondering if anyone knows who's gonna be between the pipes for the Habs tonight. I really think they have to put Price back in there. Especially since he got the shut out last night. I know the score was 3-1, but the 1 goal Atlanta scored doesn't count since they cheated.

Go Habs Go!

According to H/IO Price will be in nets tonight.

Archived