The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #80: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 Blackhawks @ Canadiens

Forever_Habs10

4444-1-1-1.jpg

Habs edge closer to playoff berth with Hurricanes loss

The Canadiens moved one tiny step closer to clinching a playoff berth without leaving their couches Sunday. Montreal received some help when the Buffalo Sabres edged the Carolina Hurricanes 2-1 in overtime. While the ninth-place Hurricanes picked up a point for the overtime loss, they are four points behind the sixth-place Canadiens with each team having three games to play. The only way the Hurricanes can finish ahead of the Canadiens is if they win their three remaining games and the Canadiens lose their three final games.

If the season ended on Monday, the Canadiens would open the playoffs in Boston, but all of the first-round pairings can change over the final week of the regular season.

The Canadiens have 91 points and are one point ahead of Buffalo and two up on the New York Rangers with everyone having three games to play.

There is also some jockeying for position at the top of the standings. Philadelphia and Washington each have 103 points, while Boston has 99 points and is assured of one of the top three seeds as the Northeast Division champion.

Pittsburgh is fourth with 100 points and has an outside chance of passing Philadelphia in the Atlantic Division.

The Canadiens helped their own cause Saturday when they beat the New Jersey Devils 3-1. The Garden State has never been the Canadiens' favourite destination, but the win Saturday gave Montreal a split of the four-game season series against the Devils and both wins came in Newark.

With a large contingent of Montreal fans cheering them on, the Canadiens played head coach Jacques Martin's kind of hockey. They limited the Devils to three shots in the first period and 21 for the game.

They stayed out of the penalty box and showed the value of going hard to the net as journeyman Mathieu Darche scored two goals by redirecting passes from Brian Gionta past the Canadiens' longtime nemesis, Martin Brodeur.

Montreal also went 1-for-2 on the power play with P.K. Subban scoring his 13th goal of the season.

The Canadiens received some good news earlier Saturday when injured defenceman Jaroslav Spacek participated in the morning skate and experienced his first contact since he underwent arthroscopic surgery a month ago.

Spacek said his recovery is on schedule and he hopes to see action before the playoffs, but he said it was unlikely that he would dress Tuesday night when the Canadiens close out their home schedule with a game against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Unsung hero...The Canadiens took a moment to sing the praises of their team's unsung hero of 2010-11.

In a year that already saw him play his 1300th NHL career game, notch his 600th career point and score his 150th career goal, Roman Hamrlik discovered Monday morning that he can now also add 'Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy Winner' to his list of accomplishments this season.

555.jpg

Also announced today...Carey Price named Molson Cup Player of the year

price_molsoncup325.jpg...hats off to pricey boy!

222.jpg

333.jpg

444.jpg?t=1301953409

The Habs will start their week off by hosting the only team in the NHL they have yet to meet in 2010-11 when the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks roll through town.

On the surface it would seem that some intensity could be lacking in a game between two clubs that rarely ever meet, but the reality is that the Blackhawks are fighting for their lives, clinging to the eighth and final playoff spot in the West, while the Habs can clinch a run at the cup with a win Tuesday night.

april.jpg

GO_HABS_GO.gifGO_HABS_GO.gifGO_HABS_GO.gifGO_HABS_GO.gifGO_HABS_GO.gifGO_HABS_GO.gif

One word: clinch.

Please Habs!

Fantastic job FH :)

I think this will be an entertaining game. Could just be me though.

I wore my Habs shirt today for "good luck" becuase for some odd reason I thought the game was tonight when I woke up this morning. :mellow:

I thought the game was tonight when I woke up this morning. :mellow:

:lol:1 more sleep.

Guest archey

of course the key to this game is that the only likable player on the hawks is out. therefore we have good chances if we play our cards right. a clinch against a seasoned original 6 team, with no history to speak of, would be all the more sweet. and nice thread btw FH. i am really hoping that we play as if we are proud to wear the CH, have our plan in our heads, and make these guys suffer, which is no more than what they deserve.

Great GDT buddy. Let's hope we clinch. Go Habs Go!

Thanks Lizard...and yes,clinch is what needs to be done.

nice thread btw FH

Tks BLUESMAN.B)

Very nice FH on your (hopefully) clinching GDT.

*Knock On Wood* ;)

right FS?

Please correct me if I'm wrong... "Clinching" is ensuring the pass to the play-offs, right? Sorry about that, but I never heard that word before coming here. n-nU

About tomorrow's game, IMHO I think that Blackhawks could be a very hard rival, knowing that last year they won the Stanley Cup, so... :/ But well, we play at home, so I expect a very strong effort from the fans, and I'm sure we can win with all that support. ^^

GO HABS!

a chance to win the Stanley Cup!

Letsgo.gif

Great GDT Kubby!I have a good feeling about tommorow's game. ;)

:lol: You need to change your user name to Kubby...since you like it so much.

And man...what a game this is gonna be...2 teams fighting for a clinch/making the playoffs.....I AM GETTING PUMPED UP FOR THIS ONE.:P

Yes 123...I have a good feeling as well.

:lol: You need to change your user name to Kubby...since you like it so much.

And man...what a game this is gonna be...2 teams fighting for a clinch/making the playoffs.....I AM GETTING PUMPED UP FOR THIS ONE.:P

Yes 123...I have a good feeling as well.

Hey Kubby I have a good feeling too. :D The Hawks are not the same team as last year & I would think the Habs will want to clinch at home & as soon as possible.

The Hawks are not the same team as last year & I would think the Habs will want to clinch at home & as soon as possible.

I approve this post.:D

Hey Kubby I have a good feeling too.

I'll Kubby ya.:angry:

lol

Puck drop: Neither team is playing how it would like to heading into the postseason, but the bigger priority is simply getting there. Both Chicago and Montreal could get back on the horse with a victory Tuesday night, but getting one step closer to clinching a berth, or putting the concern to rest in Montreal's case, is the ultimate goal.

Try not to be late to the par-te ;)

OK....now I'm confused :blink:...doesn't my game day ritual 5 Minute's To Game Time warning imply that I'm always early????? :P

Nice GDT FH!

GREAT GDT fh!

:DThanks guys.

yes it means "ensuring" a playoff spot & and that means a chance to win the Stanley Cup! :)

a chance that may never come again, you just never know when you will be in the stanley cup playoffs again thats why its soo special to clinch

Archived