43-30-8

(way to go boys!)

VS.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

37-33-11

(ha ha ha ha ha)

7pm eastern on CBC(HD) & RDS(HD)

Canadienslogo.gif

Season series -- These age-old "Original Six" rivals square off for the sixth and final time this season on Saturday night at the Air Canada Centre. Toronto has taken three of the previous five head-to-head meetings this season, including a 5-4 triumph in the most recent battle on Feb. 24 at the Bell Centre. Phil Kessel registered a four-point night, including two power-play tallies, to help the Leafs upend their Northeast Division opponent.

thleafeat-1.gifimages-1.jpgthleafeat-1.gif

Big story -- Montreal will be heading to the postseason after clinching a spot on Tuesday with an overtime win over Chicago, and needs a win or a Buffalo loss to clinch the sixth seed in the Eastern Conference. Toronto closed out the regular season admirably in pursuit of its first playoff berth since 2003-04, but was eliminated on Tuesday after a Buffalo victory.

Canadiens -- Montreal clinched a playoff berth with an exhilarating 2-1 overtime win over the defending champion Blackhawks. But the final week of the season remained meaningful, as the Habs look to hold off the surging Sabres for the East's sixth seed.

Montreal was in great position heading into Thursday night's game at Ottawa, especially after Mike Cammalleri scored late in the third period to force overtime. But the Habs surrendered the game-winner to Filip Kuba, as the Senators prevailed, 3-2.

"We need to be a little sharper and a little more assertive in our game," Cammalleri said. "To tie it up at the end was nice, but it was a bit of a mental letdown after last game."

While this season has been a success for the Canadiens, Jacques Martin, who seeks his 600th career victory on Saturday in Toronto, knows the importance of finishing the regular season strong.

"I think that we've been playing very well lately and we had a real playoff game against the Blackhawks on Tuesday and last Saturday in New Jersey," Martin said. "Tonight we weren't as good and we didn't win, so you hope to learn from those experiences."

10h0psl.gif

Maple Leafs -- Toronto will miss the playoffs for the sixth consecutive season, but despite a slow start to the season, the Maple Leafs did not go down without a fight.

Their late-season surge of six wins in seven games kept them relevant heading into the final week of the season, which began with a home matchup on Tuesday with Washington, the East's top-seed. Nikolai Kulemin and Joffrey Lupul notched goals to invigorate the Air Canada Centre crowd, and James Reimer was masterful in the crease with 39 saves to help Toronto keep its distant playoff hopes alive for the majority of the game. But the Leafs were eliminated before their game went final, and then suffered a 3-2 loss in shootout.

On Wednesday in New Jersey, the Maple Leafs struggled out of the gates, falling behind 3-0 after 40 minutes of play. But the character that enabled Toronto to muster its late season playoff push helped the Leafs draw within a goal of the Devils after Tyler Bozak's shorthanded goal. Toronto eventually fell, 4-2, but the competitive fight down the stretch of the season has enabled the Leafs to develop positive energy heading into the offseason.

"It shows we still have fight in us," Reimer said. "Although we are kicked out [of the playoffs], we still want to win."

24f00tl.gif

Who's Hot -- Kessel is in the midst of a nine-game points streak for Toronto, as the winger has compiled 3 goals and 7 assists in that span. … Habs defenseman P.K. Subban has tallied 3 goals in his last four games to continue his strong rookie campaign.

Injury Report -- Max Pacioretty (concussion/fractured vertebra) and Alexandre Picard (foot) will miss Saturday's game and remain out indefinitely for the Habs. Jeff Halpern (lower body) missed Thursday's game against Ottawa and remains questionable for the regular-season finale. … Colton Orr (concussion) and Colby Armstrong (broken foot) will miss Saturday's game for Toronto. Tim Brent (upper body) is doubtful.

Stat pack -- Subban scored his second overtime goal of the season against the Blackhawks to punch Montreal's ticket to the postseason. Subban became only the third rookie defenseman to score two overtime goals in one season since the NHL introduced the five-minute OT format in 1983. The other two were Chicago's Brent Seabrook (2005-06) and Anaheim's Cam Fowler this season. Subban became only the second defenseman in franchise history to score two OT goals in one season under the current rules; the first was Sheldon Souray in 2006-07.

Puck drop -- After Buffalo's overtime win over Philadelphia on Friday night, the Habs and Sabres are tied for sixth place in the East. Montreal holds the potential tiebreaker, having compiled more non-shootout victories this season. The Canadiens control their own destiny in pursuit of the sixth seed.

sblum9.gif

I too would like to take this opportunity to say how much I enjoy spending time on this forum with all the friendly & knowledgeable Habs fans such as yourself!

BRING ON THE PLAYOFFS

sorry Leaf fans

Mr_Koolsavi.gif

Great end of the regular season collaboration guys!

Wish I could be here to celebrate our win (*knock-knock*) with you all but my dad apparently doesn't know how to plan things around hockey games. So even though I'll be watching, it will be in a not so favourable environment.

Enjoy the game everyone and GO HABS GO!

Playoffs are just around the corner and I'm so excited. :D

Clues and HRF what a majestic thread

We are in the play offs,can't let it go to our head

We still have the Laffs to play tonight

We have to win we have to fight

History says when we win on this date

Our road to Stanley will be great

We no longer can pussy foot around

We need to excel our speed has to be found

The Laffs think they are our greatest rival

We let them think that ,it helps their survival

But for tonight that's the way it will be

They will give it all they have got,wait and see

This game for us is a matter of pride

Our light under a bush we can no longer hide

We need this game to be playoff ready

We need a win to keep our confidence steady

So team you have to come out and play hard

We want to keep the Laffs off the card

GO HABS GO :D :D

An excellent way to send us off into the playoffs!! Very nice job the both of you!! :D

Ok Canadiens...Shut up! Show up! Play hard! Play Fast! *twss* ... Score Goals and Most Importantly ... WIN THE GAME DAMNIT! *Shakes Fist* <_<

Okay Habs Win The Game & We Are In Great Shape For Round 1 PLEASE WIN TONIGHT VERY VERY IMPORTANT

Great GDT BTW

Hey cool sig man

Won't be on here to talk to all of you guys :(

I got some friends coming over to watch the game, 2 of em are leaf fans so ill do us proud with numerous chants of Nananana Nananana Hey hey hey gooodbye....and alot of Ole

BTW HRF And Clues, amazing GDT...well done to close out the season

HABS vs golfer_2.gif

Not much on the line tonight for the boys. Let's see if they can get up for this one.

P.S. Love the duel effort on the GDT. Nicely done. ;)

All I can say to clues & hrf is great_job.gif.....you two did us proud...what a way nice thread to end our season...thawesome2.gif

Thank you both.:D

Now,on to the playoffs....

GO_HABS_GO_by_Kiwi_kun.jpg

An excellent way to send us off into the playoffs!! Very nice job the both of you!! :D

Ok Canadiens...Shut up! Show up! Play hard! Play Fast! *twss* ... Score Goals and Most Importantly ... WIN THE GAME DAMNIT! *Shakes Fist* <_<

lmao I just spat out some crackers

Thanks everyone & thank you to Clues for doing most of the work. :lol:

Thanks for asking me to help and for being patient with me :)

About this game I am so excited

A really good win we will all be delighted

My heart is jumping I just can't wait

To beat the Laffs again will be great

My insides are turning round and round

I just can't wait to hear the sound

Of the moan they give when we score

Of the groans when we score some more

This is the last game of this season

Being ready for the playoffs is the reason

Our A team have got to play tonight

Show all the others we can get it right

It doesn't matter who we play

We can beat them any day

Carey will be doing cartwheels out there

Stopping everything without a care

So now is the time to really step up

To get us on our way to the cup

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

Guest olddude

Awsome GDT HRF & Clues, most worthy of a win. Really liked the City Information board and the Golf mag was genious.

Not a real big game tonight, other than beating the leafs. I don't care much who we play and would almost prefer Philly, without Pronger, they haven't been that good and I think we could beat them.

Ok Habs, time to rake the leafs. :D

Go Habs Go

Archived