The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2011 NHL Awards

brand__x

I will not make any picks, because I can't make up my mind, but I will tell you something.

I don't think Perry should win the Hart trophy.

Why?

Look at the support cast he's had in Anaheim. I'm talking about Getzlaf, Ryan, Selanne, Koivu, Mcmillan, Visnovsky and Fowler.

Also, consider this. Perry only started going on that streak of his once Getzlaf came back from his injury.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

HABS-STANLEY CUP :D..............Lets Go Habbies.

Hart: Daniel will win. I don't think he should, but I don't have any better ideas.

Vezina: I don't think Price will even get a nomination. Thomas will win it.

Conn Smythe: a goalie

Masterton: I have no clue who all of the nominees are, but hopefully Darche.

Hart: Corey Perry with Daniel Sedin and either St. Lous or Price as the third runner up

Perry has been extremely clutch this year. He has a good supporting cast but daniel does too. Daniel sedin has been good since he was put on a line with Henrik Sedin coincidence ? I think not. Perry is also thier best PK, best 2 way forward, etc.

Hiller went out with injury, mcmillan kinda is meh. Perry took a team that was struggling and their captain got injured for 4 weeks and turned it on and helped to ensure home ice in the playoffs.

Vezina: Thomas; Lundqvist and Rinne as the runner ups

Conn Smythe: Don't wanna jinx butt Teemu Selanne :D

Masterson: Emery

Selke: Kesler, plekanec, datsyuk

Lady Bing: St. Louis

Ted Lindsay will be either Daniel Or Crosby

What do you guys think of Pekka Rinne for hart?

I mean I know it's a stretch, but this is a guy who single handedly carried his team to 5th place in the west.

Other than Weber and Suter, there isn't many players worth mentioning who play for this team.

I mean I know it's a stretch, but this is a guy who single handedly carried his team to 5th place in the west.

Pretty much the same thing could be said about Price for us, and our team's had more issues with injuries than Nashville. If you're going to pick a goalie for Hart, I just don't see how it could be anyone else.

Other than Weber and Suter, there isn't many players worth mentioning who play for this team.

what about lil kostitsyn :P

I wish Price would win the Vezina but NHL.com seems VERY biased to Timmy Thomas (pukes) but Thomas had a good year...he does have one thing the rest of the nhl doesnt, a 6ft9 defender. I don't get whats so great about Rinne though.

you've prolly never seen him play. Boys a beast. He is the 6 foot defender :P. He's really good also.

Never seen, but I think Price is under-rated (probs cause hes my favourite) and should at least get consideration for vezina

He's prollyt he closest to price in the west as in no real big offensive support from his team. He's big too. I showed a video of him to my non hockey friend that lives in tn and he was like holy crap

I'm only going to discuss some of the trophies that matter: the Hart, the Norris, the Vezina, and the Calder.

- Calder: lots of good candidates this year. Subban had a very good year but he's not going to crack the top 3. Bobrovsky and Fowler both faded off as the year went on. Seguin and Hall don't even deserve to be discussed. Grabner had an excellent year on a terrible NYI team. Couture and Skinner both made impacts on better teams.

WINNER: Skinner 1st RUNNER-UP: Grabner 2nd RUNNER-UP: Couture

- Vezina: I've already explained why I think Tim Thomas is overrated. I think he deserves a nod, but I don't think he deserves to win. Luongo had good numbers too, but Schneider was equally effective on that Canucks team, so it takes away from Luongo's performance. Rinne deserves a mention, but the two guys to me who carried their teams are Price and Lundqvist.

WINNER: Lundqvist 1st RUNNER-Up: Price 2nd RUNNER-UP: Thomas

- Norris: Nick Lidstrom had another impressive year for a guy over 40, but he was also a minus for the first time. Chara carries that Bruins D and had an impressive +/- in addition to a decent point total and big minutes. Visnovsky was the D scoring champ. Kris Letang had a breakout year in Pittsburgh. Yandle in Phx and Byfuglien in Atl both had decent years, but Byfuglien faded as the year went on and isn't great defensively. And there are some other usual suspects like Keith and Seabrook in Chi, Shea Weber in Nashville, and Dan Boyle in SJ.

WINNER: Chara (sadly) 1st RUNNER-UP: Visnovsky 2nd RUNNER-UP: Letang

HART: Daniel Sedin was the Art Ross winner, but he shared the load with Kessler and Henrik. Ditto for Corey Perry, who won the Richard trophy, but who is supported by guys like Selanne, Getzlaf, and Ryan. Stamkos had another good year, but he didn't carry the Lightning alone either. Iginla bounced back in Calgary and almost got the Flames into the playoffs, but he didn't. I'll mention Chara and the load he carries in Boston again and Pronger doing the same in Philly, although with a better cast of forwards. And I think we need to mention Lundqvist, Rinne, and Price again as being guys who were extremely valuable to their teams.I'm one of those people who believe a guy who doesn't get into the playoffs has to really have an outstanding year to get himself a nod, and I didn't see that this year. So my nominees and winner are...

WINNER: Price 1st RUNNER-UP: Rinne 2nd RUNNER-UP: Perry

HART: Daniel Sedin was the Art Ross winner, but he shared the load with Kessler and Henrik. Ditto for Corey Perry, who won the Richard trophy, but who is supported by guys like Selanne, Getzlaf, and Ryan. Stamkos had another good year, but he didn't carry the Lightning alone either. Iginla bounced back in Calgary and almost got the Flames into the playoffs, but he didn't. I'll mention Chara and the load he carries in Boston again and Pronger doing the same in Philly, although with a better cast of forwards. And I think we need to mention Lundqvist, Rinne, and Price again as being guys who were extremely valuable to their teams.I'm one of those people who believe a guy who doesn't get into the playoffs has to really have an outstanding year to get himself a nod, and I didn't see that this year. So my nominees and winner are...

WINNER: Price 1st RUNNER-UP: Rinne 2nd RUNNER-UP: Perry

I'm glad you agree that Rinne deserves a consideration!

Hart: Corey Perry. In an objective world, I'd think that Price and Rinne would get huge consideration, but Nashville is too small of a market to attract the attention of a lot of the Eastern voters, and Price doesn't seem to have a lot of buzz. Some will say Perry has a great supporting cast, but its nothing compared to what guys like Sedin have. As well, he has a strong supporting cast but is the CLEAR standout. If you look at the specifics behind the goals he scored - I don't have the stats handy, but they've been discussing them in different panels lately - its truly remarkable how dominant he has been in the third period and when the game is on the line. He also averages amongst the top in ice-time for forwards.

Vezina: Tim Thomas. Call him overrated, call him what you want, but the trophy is for the best goalie this year and that's what he was. 9 shutouts, a new NHL save percentage record, a 2.00 GAA. The numbers are superhuman. People will say he had a good team in front of him and he did, but they had their ups and downs and his save percentage shows that he did play well. Henrik Lundqvist deserves some great recognition as a runner-up though, he's quietly had a great season for a team that struggled with consistency.

Conn Smythe: Jonas Hiller, Dwayne Roloson, or MA Fleury. I have this sneaky feeling that Anaheim will pull through as the dark horse in the West. They're very much built for the playoffs in a number of ways. I also think the winner of the 4-5 series in the East has a great chance of going all the way.

Norris: Lubomir Visnovsky. Ask me at the end of February and he wasn't even near the top of my radar, but a beautiful 22 points in 19 games vaulted him right to the top of the scoring charts. Prior to now, I would have picked Dustin Byfuglien or Keith Yandle, although Niklas Lidstrom is the model of consistency in the NHL.

Masterson: Ray Emery

Selke: Pavel Datsyuk. If there's one guy that could take it away from him though, it'll be from the Canucks but it won't be Ryan Kesler - it'll be Manny Malhotra.

Lady Bing: Niklas Lidstrom. Throw my Winnipeg boy, Jonathon Toews, in there for good measure.

Calder: Jeff Skinner. Up until a couple weeks ago, I would have gone with John Carlson, but Skinner really turned on the jets down the stretch with 13 points in his last 11 to push himself into the scoring lead and crack the 30-goal plateau. John Carlson was a beast, and a huge part of why Washington has been able to switch to a more defensive scheme. Honourable mention to Michael Grabner, and also to Kevin Shattenkirk who was a lot more effective in his first season that I figured he would be.

Jack Adams: Barry Trotz. I actually think the NHL will turn around and award it to Alain Vigneault or Guy Boucher, but its high time that Trotz be recognized. In my opinion, he's one of the top three coaches in the league, period, and that goes without considering that he's been coaching the same team for 12 seasons now. It blows my mind that he keeps this team in the playoffs each year, Boucher or Randy Carlyle would be my next pick.

The Hart is really interesting this year. Perry seems to be the hot name right now but if you look at it his season was very similar to Stamkos. The only different is Stamkos did it at the beginning and Perry did it at the end. Stamkos had a streak earlier this season that was very comparable to what Perry did at the end. Sedin has been consistent all year on the best team, which should say something. Hard to call this one.

Perry's steak got his team in the play offs. When his team needed him the most, It wasn't stamkos that stepped up, it was lecavalier.

When getzlaf went down, corey carried his team.

Also Changing masterson pick to david booth

Definitely agreed about Perry being vital to his team this year. Of the position players, I think he deserves the most recognition. I'm not buying Daniel Sedin or Stamkos this year... that said, I think Carey and Rinne and King Henrik have carried their teams ALL YEAR not just at the end of the season. Not to say Perry wasn't goo all year but some of those goalies were much more valuable to their teams.

Definitely agreed about Perry being vital to his team this year. Of the position players, I think he deserves the most recognition. I'm not buying Daniel Sedin or Stamkos this year... that said, I think Carey and Rinne and King Henrik have carried their teams ALL YEAR not just at the end of the season. Not to say Perry wasn't goo all year but some of those goalies were much more valuable to their teams.

the goalie thing just seems that any team that is meh has a great goalie.

the goalie thing just seems that any team that is meh has a great goalie.

Not really. There are teams that have good goalies who weren't able to get their teams in the playoffs (Halak in STl, Reimer in Tor, Ward in Car, Brodeur in NJ, Kipper in Cal, or Lehtonen in Dal to name a few. None of those teams was outstanding, but their goalies, despite being talented are not being talked about.

There are teams that have good goalies but where it's clear the goaltending was not THE key reason they did so well (Luongo and Schneider in Van, Thomas and Rask in Bos, Hiller and Emery in Ana, etc.). Those goalies had great seasons but they had lots of support from talented rosters.

There are teams who had pretty average goaltending and managed to win despite lacking a key performer there (Was, TB, Phi, SJ...).

And then there are teams like us, the NYR, and Nashville where you look at the years most of the skaters had and you can see that without a doubt, the team would have been in last night's lottery if it weren't for the goaltending. And on all 3 of those teams, the back-up is a substantial drop-off from the starter. I'll give you another way of looking at it: if Carey or Rinne is hurt and misses half the year or if Perry or Sedin is hurt and misses half the year, which team(s) do you think will sink and which will maintain their standing. All 4 teams would be hurt, but the Ducks and 'Nucks have enough other elements to keep going. Even when the Ducks lost Hiller, they did very well down the stretch and Schneider has been as good as Luongo in a more limited role, so both those teams could afford to lose key players and keep trucking. I doubt the Habs would have gone anywhere without Price this year.

Not really. There are teams that have good goalies who weren't able to get their teams in the playoffs (Halak in STl, Reimer in Tor, Ward in Car, Brodeur in NJ, Kipper in Cal, or Lehtonen in Dal to name a few. None of those teams was outstanding, but their goalies, despite being talented are not being talked about.

There are teams that have good goalies but where it's clear the goaltending was not THE key reason they did so well (Luongo and Schneider in Van, Thomas and Rask in Bos, Hiller and Emery in Ana, etc.). Those goalies had great seasons but they had lots of support from talented rosters.

There are teams who had pretty average goaltending and managed to win despite lacking a key performer there (Was, TB, Phi, SJ...).

And then there are teams like us, the NYR, and Nashville where you look at the years most of the skaters had and you can see that without a doubt, the team would have been in last night's lottery if it weren't for the goaltending. And on all 3 of those teams, the back-up is a substantial drop-off from the starter. I'll give you another way of looking at it: if Carey or Rinne is hurt and misses half the year or if Perry or Sedin is hurt and misses half the year, which team(s) do you think will sink and which will maintain their standing. All 4 teams would be hurt, but the Ducks and 'Nucks have enough other elements to keep going. Even when the Ducks lost Hiller, they did very well down the stretch and Schneider has been as good as Luongo in a more limited role, so both those teams could afford to lose key players and keep trucking. I doubt the Habs would have gone anywhere without Price this year.

I fully agree. But Anaheim needs good goaltending, their defense isn't as good as it could be imo.

Perry definitely carried his team when it mattered most but I don't think the Ducks should have been in that position in the first place. Maybe if he did a little more earlier in the year they wouldn't have had to scratch and claw their way into the playoffs. They've got a couple really good lines on that team. That's more than a lot of teams can say.

Anyone still think Thomas deserves the Vezina after watching him tonight. I realize the award is a regular season award, so I'm not saying he'll win or lose it in the playoffs, but this is how he plays all season long:

- He flops around and leave the net open all game long, and relies on luck and his D to get him through.

- He benefits from having Chara on the ice half the game.

- He's not that great at handling the puck

- He let in a weak one... and he still ends up with a GAA of around 2.00

Yet I wouldn't say he was solid by any means.

Thomas had great numbers, but he's not as good as the numbers indicate, which is why I think there are other goalies who have done way more with much less in front of them.

Archived