The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nhl Announces 10-year Tv Deal With Nbc And Versus

The National Hockey League has signed a 10-year agreement with NBC and Versus reportedly worth about US$200 million per year to continue as its U.S. broadcasters.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NBC Sports boss Dick Ebersol jointly announced the deal on Tuesday.

Bettman called it the league's most significant deal ever.

It is reportedly by far the largest TV deal ever signed by the league, topping the $120 million reportedly paid by ESPN from 1999 to 2004. Versus currently pays about $75 million per year while NBC pays no rights fees but has a revenue sharing arrangement with the NHL.

ESPN, FoxSports and Turner Broadcasting also showed interest in NHL rights.

Versus averaged 353,00 viewers for games, up 19 per cent from last season.

In Canada, both the CBC and TSN have NHL rights deals that expire in 2014.

The National Hockey League has signed a 10-year agreement with NBC and Versus reportedly worth about US$200 million per year to continue as its U.S. broadcasters.

It is reportedly by far the largest TV deal ever signed by the league, topping the $120 million reportedly paid by ESPN from 1999 to 2004.

So their pre-lockout deal was $120M for five years, the new one is $200M for ten. In other words, they're making less each year on a longer-term deal with a less respected sports network.... sounds like they're moving sideways, at best.

From what I understand, though, NBC is going to make the NHL into it's flagship property over the next ten years. They certainly wouldn't get that kind of preferred treatment with ESPN. Maybe that's what they're banking on?

:lol: What the...........who's the dude in your avatar?

I know its not krusty the clown.:lol:

ok i wish it was on a wider shown network i get vs and nbc so i don't mind but the guys at espn. Ugh they always mess up when talking about hockey T_T

Don't try to compare today's ESPN coverage to what it had in the past when it had the NHL contract.

NHL on ESPN in the 90s was classic stuff. Gary Thorne and Buccigross before he became useless. And enough Red Wings and Devils cup games to make you puke. :P:lol:

Versus and NBC do a great job with NHL games but ESPN is the last word in sports. They ignore hockey when they don't own the tv rights. If Bettman wanted to reach more people and get more hockey into people's homes the right move would have been to go with ESPN. Another brilliant move by the weasle :rolleyes:. How this moron still has a job is beyond me.

• 2 months later...

:lol: :lol: classic

Im starting to think even fox sports would have been better if they got it over Versus. Listening to game highlights the commentator sounds so monotone.

You might be too young to remember this, HTB, but... No, Fox Sports wouldn't have been a better option. Evidence:

You might be too young to remember this, HTB, but... No, Fox Sports wouldn't have been a better option. Evidence:

Someone already showed me that, and I don't care but Im tired of seeing the NHL only get 1 game a week because football isn't on, and then having it relegated to a 3rd rate network for some guy who has no emotion to call a game I question his understanding of <_<

And no I don't mean Bob Cole :lol:

Someone already showed me that, and I don't care but Im tired of seeing the NHL only get 1 game a week because football isn't on, and then having it relegated to a 3rd rate network for some guy who has no emotion to call a game I question his understanding of <_<

Fox never showed games which involved non-American teams in the regular season. It was pretty bad.

Btw no habs in that video, PLEASE tell me we missed the playoffs to avoid any embarassing montage :lol:

Awful, awful year.

Not to mention,,,the famous Fox puck.. :lol:

Don't remind us too much. :lol:

Archived