The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#61 Raphael Diaz 2011-2012

Nine1One

I liken Diaz moreso on the same level as Streit in terms of on-ice hockey sense than I ever felt was the case with Weber. That said, here is my point... many think that Diaz will end up in Hamilton with the addition of Kaberle and the return of Campoli, however I am not so sure that will be the case even when Markov returns.

It is clear that both he and Emelin have surpassed Weber on the depth-chart at this time. Diaz and Emelin as a pairing have looked pretty good of late and could get even better with time. So why break it up... and why delegate either of them to the pressbox or the minors?

Go back to my first statement and now consider a few things that can factor into this...

Weber was being used as a forward (as was Streit) at times because of a question regarding ability as an NHL defensman but having potential on the powerplay. Diaz could fill the same role and be more intelligent/effective at it IMO.

The Habs defense wearing down over the course of a season and injury woes that always tend to pop-up during games seems to be a given for this team (and many others). Why not keep/play 8 d-men in the line-up period and involve them more in the attack?

Surely that insurance could be more of an advantage than playing a player like Mathieu Darche and others 5 minutes a game.

The eight d-men... Markov, Subban, Gorges, Kaberle, Campoli, Gill, Emelin and Diaz. Weber could be used as part of a trade, waivered or relegated to the minors IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done! I can't believe no one is talking about him right now. He had a wonderful game yesterday. Played better defensively and might I add he had 3 assists? Not to shabby.

I think we're all still in shock that the team won a game 6-2. :lol: Perhaps if he can string together a few good games, and we get used to some solid team efforts, we'll be able to calm down and focus on the individual accomplishments!

• 2 weeks later...

Can'tbelieve he didn't make the rookie selection. He has more points than Cowen in less games. IMO if a player gets injured and misses it we might have a player there other than price.

I'd doubt it. Both Emelin and Diaz have been solid, but they're not high-profile enough to get much recognition from the league. It's the same way that Koivu might have been the more valuable guy but everyone wanted to see Kovy at the all-star game or how Subban is more likely to go to an All-Star game than Gorges, just because he's the flashy guy who gets points and not the solid stay-at-home type. That's just how it is. Diaz is a 25-year-old rookie signed as a free agent who isn't high profile... I doubt he gets a selection even with an injury.

I'd doubt it. Both Emelin and Diaz have been solid, but they're not high-profile enough to get much recognition from the league. It's the same way that Koivu might have been the more valuable guy but everyone wanted to see Kovy at the all-star game or how Subban is more likely to go to an All-Star game than Gorges, just because he's the flashy guy who gets points and not the solid stay-at-home type. That's just how it is. Diaz is a 25-year-old rookie signed as a free agent who isn't high profile... I doubt he gets a selection even with an injury.

I can dream can't I, I think given the opportunity Diaz would be flashy lol

• 2 weeks later...

He made it to the rookies all-star team thing! Congrats!

Personally, I think Emelin has been the more impressive rookie D man for us, although there was zero chance of the NHL wanting him running around knocking out star players. Diaz has been solid and fairly consistent this season and it's nice to see that recognized too, as it's often overlooked when it comes to the ASG.

Personally, I think Emelin has been the more impressive rookie D man for us, although there was zero chance of the NHL wanting him running around knocking out star players. Diaz has been solid and fairly consistent this season and it's nice to see that recognized too, as it's often overlooked when it comes to the ASG.

Well of course, got to go with the offensive one :P

Rookies don't actually participate in the games, so there's no risk of him knocking anyone out. They just participate in the skills comp, as far as I know.

Rookies don't actually participate in the games, so there's no risk of him knocking anyone out. They just participate in the skills comp, as far as I know.

Not really a "game", but do they still have the 3 on 3 rookie game on the Saturday night? I'm hoping yes, because I've found that to be the best part of the skills competition the last few years.

Not really a "game", but do they still have the 3 on 3 rookie game on the Saturday night? I'm hoping yes, because I've found that to be the best part of the skills competition the last few years.

They didn't last year, I don't think.

Archived