The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Movie "the Rocket" Is On Tonite.

kinot-1

Great story line/ account of one of the greatest hockey legends to date....I recommend it,I have it on DVD.

Why dont they ever mention his own family in this?

Its only really his inlaws :blink:

I'm watching it now,,,,and I never thought of that,,,,,,,wasn't he one of about 13 children? :unsure:

,,,oops,,,just read that he was one of 8 children. :unsure:

If you look during that part, as Richard makes his approach to Dill a man skates by in a t-shirt :lol:

Also I love the piano in this movie...

Sry...missed the T-shirt guy....I will be watching for the piano. :)

My daughter even phoned me to tell me that The Rocket was on TV,,,bless her heart. She never forgets her old man. :)

Ya know,,,I seen the Rocket only once in person,,at an Oldtimers game here in London...he was old,,,and he didn't play that day,,,but,,He Was And Is,,,, The Rocket. :)

Yes and "There can be only One" Rocket!and One Pocket Rocket!The Richard brothers with the hearts of T-Rex!

Speaking of the Rocket movie, I noticed several points that were inaccurate, or I would have loved to have touched on more:

1. The uniforms are not authentic to the time, and the logos are not totally authentic, either. The CH on the Habs uniforms are not authentic, nor are the logos on the other teams. Boston, for instance, changed their look several times during Richard's career.

2. It was Earl Seibert, not Babe Seibert, that Richard carried on his back to score that goal against Detroit. Seibert was a member of the Canadiens in the late Howie Morenz era, and was about to become their coach when he died. Like Morenz, they had a tribute fund-raiser all-star game for him.

3. I too would have loved to see at least a little bit more of his family. His father was a fine athlete as well.

4. The movie stops at the riot, and misses a major chapter of his playing career, the five consecutive Cups. It also misses his playing with Henri.

5. You had several NHL players in the movie, but the only one who anybody knew about was Sean Avery, who was playing a significant role - and the recently retired Mike Ricci was playing Elmer Lach. But you did not know who the other guys were playing until the movie was over with.

6. Hardly any time was spent on the rivalry with Gordie Howe, which to me was the biggest oversight in the entire movie.

7. Toe Blake was horribly miscast. He was made out to be a total clown, when in fact, he was a very serious, intense, player and person.

That being said, the one positive I saw, and there were several, was the portrayal of Dick Irvin by Stephen McHattie. He actually stole the show here. I also liked the gal who played Richard's wife.

Speaking of the Rocket movie, I noticed several points that were inaccurate, or I would have loved to have touched on more:

1. The uniforms are not authentic to the time, and the logos are not totally authentic, either. The CH on the Habs uniforms are not authentic, nor are the logos on the other teams. Boston, for instance, changed their look several times during Richard's career.

2. It was Earl Seibert, not Babe Seibert, that Richard carried on his back to score that goal against Detroit. Seibert was a member of the Canadiens in the late Howie Morenz era, and was about to become their coach when he died. Like Morenz, they had a tribute fund-raiser all-star game for him.

3. I too would have loved to see at least a little bit more of his family. His father was a fine athlete as well.

4. The movie stops at the riot, and misses a major chapter of his playing career, the five consecutive Cups. It also misses his playing with Henri.

5. You had several NHL players in the movie, but the only one who anybody knew about was Sean Avery, who was playing a significant role - and the recently retired Mike Ricci was playing Elmer Lach. But you did not know who the other guys were playing until the movie was over with.

6. Hardly any time was spent on the rivalry with Gordie Howe, which to me was the biggest oversight in the entire movie.

7. Toe Blake was horribly miscast. He was made out to be a total clown, when in fact, he was a very serious, intense, player and person.

That being said, the one positive I saw, and there were several, was the portrayal of Dick Irvin by Stephen McHattie. He actually stole the show here. I also liked the gal who played Richard's wife.

I agree blake was a little Cocky if you would say, I think that was just to show how Irvin had to control his team. And I think Irvin and Maurice were easily the 2 best actors. You can tell who some nhl players are I.E. Vinny Lecavalier because you do see him wearing the #4 but it IS a blink and you miss it scene, but what more do you want, you cant stop the movie to point out each NHL player. And I think the movie stopped with the Riot because it was a very well closing time. You could have gone after the riot and ended the movie with him leaving the arena following the 5th cup win, but thats another 2 hours at least to the movie.

Speaking of the Rocket movie... the portrayal of Dick Irvin by Stephen McHattie. He actually stole the show here.

He did indeed do a great job.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen this movie. Def need to check it out the way everyone talks about it.

Its superb...you'll appreciate it.:D

It's on DVD isn't it? I think you might be able to buy it somewhere.

Yes,it is....I actually own it myself.

Archived