The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Heritage Classic Cancelled For 2011-12 Season

HERITAGE CLASSIC CANCELLED FOR 2011-12 SEASON

heritage_66044.jpg

The NHL's Heritage Classic will not be staged next season, according to an ESPN.com report posted on Saturday.

ESPN's source said that the Heritage, which was in Calgary last February, may return for the 2012-13 season.

The Winter Classic, the NHL's other outdoor game, will go ahead as scheduled. There's been no official word yet on a location for that event.

TSN

Well Canada got Winnipeg back, Bettman cant be making them money by potentially having them play outdoors. Think about it: Heritage Classic, has to be played in a cold climate. What better spot than Winterpeg?

We can't do Montreal/Calgary as its been done.

Toronto is a maybe

Ottawa is a maybe, but if you do Toronto vs Ottawa you get a condensed market of viewers. Mainly Ontario citizens, and fans wanting to watch a crappy game by 2 crappy teams just cause its out doors.

Edmonton, Possible

Vancouver-Too Warm

Winnipeg- New franchise, has the climate, would draw tons of fan support...Cant have that or else bettman will look wrong.

Well Canada got Winnipeg back, Bettman cant be making them money by potentially having them play outdoors. Think about it: Heritage Classic, has to be played in a cold climate. What better spot than Winterpeg?

We can't do Montreal/Calgary as its been done.

Toronto is a maybe

Ottawa is a maybe, but if you do Toronto vs Ottawa you get a condensed market of viewers. Mainly Ontario citizens, and fans wanting to watch a crappy game by 2 crappy teams just cause its out doors.

Edmonton, Possible

Vancouver-Too Warm

Winnipeg- New franchise, has the climate, would draw tons of fan support...Cant have that or else bettman will look wrong.

The players would probably get hypothermia. :P

Also, we'll have a new stadium up for next year, probably best to wait for that (not sure it will be ready to host anything in February).

The players would probably get hypothermia. :P

Also, we'll have a new stadium up for next year, probably best to wait for that (not sure it will be ready to host anything in February).

The Jet's are getting a new arena next year???? Where have i been??? :blink: I don't recall reading anything about that.

Is it currently under construction?? How big ( seats) will it be??

OK ,,,my bad. Just noticed it said stadium. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think the Heritage classic is a bit redundant and I'm not a fan of the Canada/US split for such an event, to me it's an artificial boundary. My preference is to keep one outdoor game per year. I don't know what the criteria should be for selecting the two teams but I don't think it should have anything to do with whether its home arena is on American or Canadian soil. The Clubs are city/area based , not national teams.

Personally, I think the Heritage classic is a bit redundant and I'm not a fan of the Canada/US split for such an event, to me it's an artificial boundary. My preference is to keep one outdoor game per year. I don't know what the criteria should be for selecting the two teams but I don't think it should have anything to do with whether its home arena is on American or Canadian soil. The Clubs are city/area based , not national teams.

Let's see them spread the love to a Canadian team/teams then eh.

The Jet's are getting a new arena next year???? Where have i been??? :blink: I don't recall reading anything about that.

Is it currently under construction?? How big ( seats) will it be??

OK ,,,my bad. Just noticed it said stadium. :rolleyes:

Haha, yeah were getting a new football stadium. Our arena's really new, probably amongst the newest in the league.

Although since the whole thing is an artificial construct anyway - why not turn it into a US-Canada thing - one of each - more interest both sides of the border.

That's my point, the concept of 'Canadian team' itself makes no sense to me

Amen, CRB! Just like I don't understand the "Who is Canada's Team?" articles that come out every year during the playoffs, and why I really could care less if the Canucks or the Sens or the Flames are in the playoffs and come from a Canadian city. I doubt that hockey fans in Nashville or Las Angeles or Buffalo were cheering for Boston solely because they were the "American" team, and I don't know understand why we Canadians seem to do this.

In respect to the Heritage Classic, I'm in agreement that one outdoor game is enough. But like Noob said, just don't make it the same two teams every time. I say take two teams who you figure will be among the best in the league - Pittsburgh and Washington were actually a good example of that this year - and play the new year's day game. Whether they are Canadian cities or American cities shouldn't matter, IMO.

Something just occurred to me though, that's making me rethink my earlier post a bit. The line between Canadian and American teams is largely artifial, but there's one area where it's very real: TV rights. There's going to be one carrier that will broadcast the game in Canada and another that will broadcast in the United States. Either TSN or CBC is going to buy the rights to any outdoor game regardless, and they'd probably even have a bidding war to do it. To get an American station to pay the big bucks, though, it would really help the NHL to have two large-market American teams.

So with that said, the chances of a Canadian team being involved are probably not all that good. In that case, maybe a Heritage Classic every few years is not such a bad thing :P

That's my point, the concept of 'Canadian team' itself makes no sense to me

By Canadian team, I mean a team from a Canadian city. I don't care if they play it in New York, I just don't want to always have to watch the same teams play over and over again. How many times are we going to be subjected to the Penguins playing in the Classic? Why haven't they done a Boston/Montreal Classic? That, would be a real Classic. Instead, they went for Boston/Philadelphia and it's not that it was a bad game. I just get annoyed that it's been four seasons with the Classic and we still haven't had the chance to see a Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver in the Classic. With the way they're going, we'll see Nashville play in the classic before Montreal. Then, what they did this past season to "satisfy" the Canadian market was this Heritage Classic. I don't care about an all Canadian match up. I would rather see Montreal/Boston than Montreal/Calgary. It doesn't have to be in Canada, I could care less where it happens.

Haha, yeah were getting a new football stadium. Our arena's really new, probably amongst the newest in the league.

It's one of the 2 or 3 newest which actually surprised me because there's been at least 8 baseball stadiums built since 2004.

By Canadian team, I mean a team from a Canadian city. I don't care if they play it in New York, I just don't want to always have to watch the same teams play over and over again. How many times are we going to be subjected to the Penguins playing in the Classic? Why haven't they done a Boston/Montreal Classic? That, would be a real Classic. Instead, they went for Boston/Philadelphia and it's not that it was a bad game. I just get annoyed that it's been four seasons with the Classic and we still haven't had the chance to see a Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver in the Classic. With the way they're going, we'll see Nashville play in the classic before Montreal. Then, what they did this past season to "satisfy" the Canadian market was this Heritage Classic. I don't care about an all Canadian match up. I would rather see Montreal/Boston than Montreal/Calgary. It doesn't have to be in Canada, I could care less where it happens.

Some may not differentiate between Canadian and American teams but NBC certainly does and this is really their's/hockey's big event in the US, if there EVER was a Canadian team it would be down the road and it would almost certainly be Toronto or Montreal (more likely Toronto since they've yet to participate in any outdoor game).

From a TV stand point it makes a lot of sense to keep them separate, all US match ups will draft significantly higher in the States and all Canadian will draw significantly higher in Canada, the only problem for a strict Canadian event is the lack of teams and lack of attractive venues. I guess we'll see one in Canada every 2-3 years at the most, which again makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your frustration... Bothers me as well. But like you touched on in your post, Canadian teams get to play in the heritage classic, not the winter classic. Maybe on day bettman will get a brain storm and combine the 2.

Archived