The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2011-2012 If I Were GM

BigTed3

This is the place to discuss what you would do in the role of Habs GM for the upcoming 2011-2012 season. There are specific threads for discussion on the 2011 Entry Draft and the July 1st Free Agent Frenzy that can be found in the main section of the General Habs sub-forum (see below). Otherwise, any thoughts can be posted in this thread.

Draft:

Free Agency:

What about Brian Boyle? 6'7" 244 lbs power forward that played really well for the Rangers last year. Yes, he's not a ppg player, but he is young, strong and maybe a perfect complement next to small, fast, and skilled forwards like Pleks and Cammy. I'm sure he could be converted to a winger to play with them. And he'd probably be easy to pry away from the Rangers with an offer sheet considering what their plans are. I'm not saying "OMG do it!" but it's not a bad idea and something to think about.

Artem Anisimov, all 6'4" 200 lbs 23 years of him, is also a RFA this summer. 18 goals, 26 assists for 44 points: not half bad and he's still developing. He's on the Rangers, and again, could be easy to pry away with what the Rangers are trying to do (sign Brad Richards, resign Dubinski and Callahan). Again, I'm just saying its an idea (a pretty good one actually).

Simon Gagne, the oft-injured Gagne, is another player of interest.

As with all RFA, it depends on the price.

In the end, I'd still want Jagr for a one year deal with a club option at a second year at somewhere around 2-2.5 a year. If we don't get him, I have no problem gettin Brian Boyle, Artem Anisimov or Simon Gagne. All three are nice players. Brooks Laich is another UFA that would look great.

What about Brian Boyle? 6'7" 244 lbs power forward that played really well for the Rangers last year. Yes, he's not a ppg player, but he is young, strong and maybe a perfect complement next to small, fast, and skilled forwards like Pleks and Cammy. I'm sure he could be converted to a winger to play with them. And he'd probably be easy to pry away from the Rangers with an offer sheet considering what their plans are. I'm not saying "OMG do it!" but it's not a bad idea and something to think about.

Artem Anisimov, all 6'4" 200 lbs 23 years of him, is also a RFA this summer. 18 goals, 26 assists for 44 points: not half bad and he's still developing. He's on the Rangers, and again, could be easy to pry away with what the Rangers are trying to do (sign Brad Richards, resign Dubinski and Callahan). Again, I'm just saying its an idea (a pretty good one actually).

Simon Gagne, the oft-injured Gagne, is another player of interest.

As with all RFA, it depends on the price.

I would love to have Brian Boyle on our team. The kid is tough, has good hands, and a bit of a mean streak...oh wait, the Habs don't go for players like that :(

this year we have a huge hole on defence.With Markov unsigned, Hammer we will let walk, Wiz more than likely to go elsewhere for money. Spacek getting older and slower and so will Gill. The outlook seems pretty grim.Defence lineup looks like:

Gill.....Subban

Spacek...Weber

Emilin...

Dosent look too promising. So lets get Markov signed,5.5, 1 year. Jorges signed to 1.5 per yr, 3 years. Sign ufa Babchuck from Cal to a 3.5 per yr/ 3 years. Sign UFA Jan Hedja from Columbus to a 2.5 per year, 3 years. With Markov and Subban being our puck moving D, I would say Weber would be expendable.(I do like him). Again going to Columbus I pick up Marc Methot for Weber. All 3 newly aquired D are over 6'3, Experienced, and have put up decent numbers.

Our forwards are simalar

Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)

Brian Gionta ($5.000m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Max Pacioretty ($1.500m)

Ryan White ($0.850m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)

/ David Desharnais ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Andrei Markov ($5.500m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)

Josh Gorges ($1.500m) / Hal Gill ($2.250m)

Jan Hejda ($2.500m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)

Anton Babchuk ($3.500m) / Marc Methot ($1.500m)

Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price ($2.750m) / Drew MacIntyre ($0.500m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $63,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,670,509; BONUSES: $400,000

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $5,329,491

Now sign Jagr. 4.5 mil, 1 year.

Trade moen and pouliot for a draft pick

Call up Pyatt

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Jagr

Pacioretty - Gomez* - Gionta

Darche - Eller - Kostitsyn

Moen - Desharnais* - White

Trotter

*Desharnais would move up to 2nd line center if Gomez choked. Gomez would take his place on the 4th.

Markov - Subban

Gorges - Wisniewski

Gill - Weber

Emelin

Price

Sanford

Powerplay

Jagr - Desharnais - Pacioretty

Subban - Wisniewski

Gionta - Plekanec - Cammalleri

Weber - Markov

Penalty Kill

Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Gill - Gorges

Eller - Darche

Wisniewski - Subban

Salary Cap Hit

Forwards:

Gomez: $7,357,143

Cammalleri: $6,000,000

Plekanec: $5,000,000

Gionta: $5,000,000

Kostitsyn: $3,250,000

Pacioretty: $2,200,000

Moen: $1,500,000

Jagr: $1,500,000

Eller: $1,270,833

Desharnais: $1,000,000

White: $875,000

Darche: $700,000

Trotter: $700,000

-----------------------------------

Defencemen:

Markov: $5,000,000

Wisniewski: $4,500,000

Spacek: $3,833,333

Gorges: $3,000,000

Gill: $2,250,000

Weber: $1,200,000

Emelin: $984,200

Subban: $875,000

Goalies:

Price: $2,750,000

Sanford: $1,200,000

Total: $60,961,309 / $62,000,000

NOTE: This number is a rough estimate. I probably overpaid some guys and underpaid others, so it should even out.

Pacioretty - Gomez* - Gionta

Darche - Eller - Kostitsyn

Moen - Desharnais* - White

Trotter

*Desharnais would move up to 2nd line center if Gomez choked. Gomez would take his place on the 4th.

Markov - Subban

Gorges - Wisniewski

Gill - Weber

Emelin

Price

Sanford

Powerplay

Jagr - Desharnais - Pacioretty - Subban - Wisniewski

Gionta - Plekanec - Cammalleri - Weber - Markov

Penalty Kill

Plekanec - Kostitsyn - Gill - Gorges

Eller - Darche - Wisniewski - Subban

The line-up could work, however... 1) why mix up the players for the power play so much? 2) the line-up for the penalty kill is a concern with some players you designate (Kostitsyn, Eller, Darche, Wisniewski) and others you don't (Markov, Moen and Desharnais in particular... even Cammalleri, Gionta, and Gomez have more experience).

You're right you have overpaid some players and underpaid others ;)

I think we also need to watch what we spend this year to leave us enough next year to sign . Carey Price & PK Subban . if price plays well this year i think were looking a big bucks for price and PK will also want a little more as well and there both worth it . gomez and his contract with us may hurt in signing others. players may say you signed him for that much then i must be worththis much type of deal.. i never like long term big deals unless your talking about crosby, ovechkin,malkin,datsuk someone of there calibre is worth the long term risk .gomez is not worth the long term risk.

Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta

Torres - Eller - Kostitsyn

Darche - Desharnais - White

Pyatt

Markov - Bieksa

Gorges - Subban

Gill - Weber

Yemelin

Price

Auld/Turco

*Markov to a 1 yr deal so next year his and Gill's contract will be off the books. I dont know how we would get rid of Spacek but thats not important and if we can somehow get rid of Gomez next year and replace him with Eller or DD that would help with cap space for Carey/PK next year. We would prob hve one of the best third lines in the league and constantly be a threat with a top 9 like this. 4th line has offensive upside and are defensively responsible as well.

As a GM would you consider re-enlisting this former Hab?

Michael Ryder has just come off his best play-off performance scoring 8 goals (18.2 shooting %)and adding 9 assists over the course of the NHL playoffs, while posting a plus/minus of +8. He accomplished that mostly playing 3rd line minutes 5-on-5. My personal observation was that he played well on the defensive side of the game as well, while adding a decent physical contribution.

Granted making 4 million may be high for what he has contributed to the Bruins since his season high with in 2008-2009 when he scored over 27 goals, but he has improved his overall play IMO and as a third line player contributed reasonable numbers.

As a UFA he may not be able to secure another contract that pays him so generously and could possibly be had for half as much as his previous contract (perhaps less). At age 31 he is now matured and in his physical prime I believe.

Could the past be put behind both the player and the team in this instance and could Ryder be an asset worth persuing?

Torres - Eller - Kostitsyn

Darche - Desharnais - White

Pyatt

Markov - Bieksa

Gorges - Subban

Gill - Weber

Yemelin

Price

Auld/Turco

*Markov to a 1 yr deal so next year his and Gill's contract will be off the books. I dont know how we would get rid of Spacek but thats not important and if we can somehow get rid of Gomez next year and replace him with Eller or DD that would help with cap space for Carey/PK next year. We would prob hve one of the best third lines in the league and constantly be a threat with a top 9 like this. 4th line has offensive upside and are defensively responsible as well.

ilike bieksa but i think h is out of the question and will be back with the canucks he said his self i think we wil hve a deal done here in vancouver

As a GM would you consider re-enlisting this former Hab?

Michael Ryder has just come off his best play-off performance scoring 8 goals (18.2 shooting %)and adding 9 assists over the course of the NHL playoffs, while posting a plus/minus of +8. He accomplished that mostly playing 3rd line minutes 5-on-5. My personal observation was that he played well on the defensive side of the game as well, while adding a decent physical contribution.

Granted making 4 million may be high for what he has contributed to the Bruins since his season high with in 2008-2009 when he scored over 27 goals, but he has improved his overall play IMO and as a third line player contributed reasonable numbers.

As a UFA he may not be able to secure another contract that pays him so generously and could possibly be had for half as much as his previous contract (perhaps less). At age 31 he is now matured and in his physical prime I believe.

Could the past be put behind both the player and the team in this instance and could Ryder be an asset worth persuing?

I really liked Ryder when he was here and wanted the Habs to keep him. I would go for it if the price was right but theres no chance of it happening lol

ilike bieksa but i think h is out of the question and will be back with the canucks he said his self i think we wil hve a deal done here in vancouver

I agree, just wishful thinking

If I was the GM my full concentration for the next 6 days would be upon the Entry Draft and filling any holes in the depth of prospects in our system.The signing of former draft choice Alexei Yemelin was a coup and following that up with Swiss defence star Rafael Diaz has pretty much solidified the defensive depth.In goal Aaron Dell and Chris Rawlings from college ranks are good if they sign later this year and Karri Ramo is one of the best goalies in the KHL.So my focus at the Draft would be on forwards,Centers are usually the best players as normally they can learn to play the wing positions.That being the case there are plenty of centermen in this draft:Boone Jenner,Mark Scheifele, Mark McNeill,JT Miller,Shane Prince,Vladimir Namestnikov and my favorite Alexander Khokhlachev.At least three or four of these players will be available when the #17 pick comes.Keep in mind these players will be at least 2-3 years away from suiting up with the Habs.Players with heart,talent,leadership and skating being the key elements the Habs look for when drafting and any player with all those attributes most likely will also be the Best Player Available (BPA) Khokhlachev my pick displays all of those attributes but,may be gone when the Habs pick.Buffalo picks ahead of us and Kassian and Khokhlachev have shown some chemistry playing together in Windsor this season.I guess the Habs might go defence and most of the guys I wanted will probably be gone but Connor Murphy could still be there,that depends on whether the Bruins take the hometown boy at #9 overall.Plenty to choose from in this draft right into 3rd and 4th rounds this year,so it looks promising for Hab fans.

If I was the GM my full concentration for the next 6 days would be upon the Entry Draft and filling any holes in the depth of prospects in our system.The signing of former draft choice Alexei Yemelin was a coup and following that up with Swiss defence star Rafael Diaz has pretty much solidified the defensive depth.In goal Aaron Dell and Chris Rawlings from college ranks are good if they sign later this year and Karri Ramo is one of the best goalies in the KHL.So my focus at the Draft would be on forwards,Centers are usually the best players as normally they can learn to play the wing positions.That being the case there are plenty of centermen in this draft:Boone Jenner,Mark Scheifele, Mark McNeill,JT Miller,Shane Prince,Vladimir Namestnikov and my favorite Alexander Khokhlachev.At least three or four of these players will be available when the #17 pick comes.Keep in mind these players will be at least 2-3 years away from suiting up with the Habs.Players with heart,talent,leadership and skating being the key elements the Habs look for when drafting and any player with all those attributes most likely will also be the Best Player Available (BPA) Khokhlachev my pick displays all of those attributes but,may be gone when the Habs pick.Buffalo picks ahead of us and Kassian and Khokhlachev have shown some chemistry playing together in Windsor this season.I guess the Habs might go defence and most of the guys I wanted will probably be gone but Connor Murphy could still be there,that depends on whether the Bruins take the hometown boy at #9 overall.Plenty to choose from in this draft right into 3rd and 4th rounds this year,so it looks promising for Hab fans.

Kari Ramo has resigned for two more years in the KHL.

http://www.habsindepth.com/content/karri-ramo-signs-avangarde

TSN's Bob McKenzie has reported the cap will be going up to about 64M for next season. Yes, this helps all clubs out and means we have a touch more room to fit in certain players under the ceiling. What I find more intriguing is that the floor has gone up to 48M. If we look at certain teams, there will be those who might struggle to get up to the floor. Among those...

- Florida needs to spend 30M on 12 players

- Phoenix needs to spend 17M on 8 players

- The Isles need to spend 11+M on 6 players

- Colorado needs to spend 16M on 8 players

The point is that with the cap floor going up more than anticipated, there will be teams struggling to get there, never mind worrying about the extra 16M they have to reach the ceiling. In this case, a player like Gomez may actually become an asset to any one of those teams IF they strike out on July 1st and can't sign any big names to fill out their roster. The truth is that a lot of the big-money, key-name free agents are unlikely to look at those destinations (other than Colorado) as being their first choice, so those teams may well be in trouble. If I'm PG, I'd take this news and start shopping around Gomez, Spacek, and Moen to see if there are any biters.

TSN's Bob McKenzie has reported the cap will be going up to about 64M for next season. Yes, this helps all clubs out and means we have a touch more room to fit in certain players under the ceiling. What I find more intriguing is that the floor has gone up to 48M. If we look at certain teams, there will be those who might struggle to get up to the floor. Among those...

- Florida needs to spend 30M on 12 players

- Phoenix needs to spend 17M on 8 players

- The Isles need to spend 11+M on 6 players

- Colorado needs to spend 16M on 8 players

The point is that with the cap floor going up more than anticipated, there will be teams struggling to get there, never mind worrying about the extra 16M they have to reach the ceiling. In this case, a player like Gomez may actually become an asset to any one of those teams IF they strike out on July 1st and can't sign any big names to fill out their roster. The truth is that a lot of the big-money, key-name free agents are unlikely to look at those destinations (other than Colorado) as being their first choice, so those teams may well be in trouble. If I'm PG, I'd take this news and start shopping around Gomez, Spacek, and Moen to see if there are any biters.

I was aware of the cap going up however, I failed to look at the possible options of the mandatory floor increasing as well. If one takes into consideration it’s not a insurmountable problem for most of teams you have listed, it’s either Just over $2 million or just under $2million per player.

I am not part of the ‘lets dump Gomez’ club as I’m not sure there is a replacement of his level as a replacement that would accept playing in Montreal. However, to follow on with you’re thinking, last Feb. or March I remember reading somewhere the rumor ( could be wishful thinking on this site ) Phoenix could use a Gomez type center. Could this be a possibility? . Then the next question, what is available in return?, I don’t think a draft pick for 2011 perhaps 2012 as they won’t know until early fall if they need help to reach the minimum.

IF I were GM I would acknowledge that the Bruins won the Stanley Cup because they constructed a playoff roster and had a few elements that my team lacks:

1 - Mobile young defenceman

2 - Board play down low in the offensive zone

3 - Garbage goals

4 - 1 top 6 forward

5 - Toughness but not a goon.

Those are 5 things I think the team needs to address to become a legitimate Cup contender. Some of those solutions are in-house.

1 - Sign Andrei Markov

2 - Sign Josh Gorges

3 - Sign Jaromir Jagr

4 - Sign Joel Ward

5 - Sign Michael Rupp

6 - Trade Travis Moen to Winnipeg for a 4th rounder

7 - Let Pouliot walk or re-sign to a 2 way contract and stick him in AHL.

This actually may happen and it's worth the gamble even if he "flops" he'll still probably get 18 goals and 25 assists which is what Andrei pretty much gets you, although it would probably be all on the PP.

Pax must return to form to hope that this line stops being a donut. You know center-less.

Kostitsyn - Eller - Ward

Ward was a monster in the PO's, has enough skill and right handed shot to complement the cycle game Lars and AK play well. This could be a sneaky good third line, especially in the playoffs.

Darche - Desharnais - Rupp

If you watched Pens games Rupp fights but can control the puck and create space, DD kinda gets the short straw here but with PP time and 2 guys that scrap for loose pucks DD can still get you 20-30pts and fill-in when Gomer goes missing.

White, Pyatt

Markov - Gorges

Gill - Subban

Emelin - Weber

Spacek

Ideally, Emelin is very solid and adjusts quickly because then:

Markov - Emelin

Emelin isnt that young, this is a lot of pressure but he would be a great compliment to Markov's style.

Gorges - Subban

Josh is also mature and a shot blocker but his newfound mobility might compromise Subban less than Hal did at times.

Gill - Weber

2 specialists that need to be limited at even strength. An ideal 3rd pairing. Gill can coach Weber the way he did PK.

Spacek - Untradeable, mix him in for Hal occasionally to keep him sharp and Hal rested.

Price

Auld

I think the above roster addresses some glaring holes, keeps the core intact and is actually realistic under the cap. Would have liked to sign the Wiz but he's gonna be too pricey. I know the D corps doesnt look stellar but a healthy Markov(even 90% of an all-star d-man is still a number 1) and Gorges may skate better can be enough to propel this team to a division title, home-ice and a deep run.

The line-up could work, however... 1) why mix up the players for the power play so much? 2) the line-up for the penalty kill is a concern with some players you designate (Kostitsyn, Eller, Darche, Wisniewski) and others you don't (Markov, Moen and Desharnais in particular... even Cammalleri, Gionta, and Gomez have more experience).

You're right you have overpaid some players and underpaid others ;)

1)If you look at my first powerplay line, you will see that pretty much everyone on there is a powerplay specialist. Patches and Desharnais sure as hell thrive on the powerplay, and Jagr has a reputation as a powerplay beast. Subban led defencemen in PP goals, and Wiz, as we all know, is a powerplay quarterback. Besides, Wiz and P.K. showed that they have great chemistry on the powerplay and can produce a good number of goals together.

2)Kostitsyn had one of the highest +/- of the Habs this season. Darche as well. Eller is more of a question mark but he can play second penalty kill to give him ice time and save the true scorers (Cammalleri, Gionta) for offensive roles. Gomez is a joke on the PK. As for Wiz, he's younger than Markov, so he can take the extra minutes and tiring PK work. I want to keep Markov fresh for offensive roles (1st D line and 2nd PP).

As for overpaying/underpaying, I'll be adjusting my salary cap hit section as the summer progresses. For instance, I'll add the 64m cap space and Patches' 1.5m signing right now (a damn good signing if you ask me).

EDIT: I guess I won't be changing the salary cap section. I can't edit my other post. Very well then, I'll post the updated cap here. (Changes in bold)

Forwards:

Gomez: $7,357,143

Cammalleri: $6,000,000

Plekanec: $5,000,000

Gionta: $5,000,000

Kostitsyn: $3,250,000

Jagr: $2,500,000

Pacioretty: $1,500,000

Moen: $1,500,000

Eller: $1,270,833

Desharnais: $1,000,000

White: $875,000

Darche: $700,000

Trotter: $700,000

Defencemen:

Markov: $5,000,000

Wisniewski: $4,750,000

Spacek: $3,833,333

Gorges: $3,200,000

Gill: $2,250,000

Weber: $1,200,000

Emelin: $984,200

Subban: $875,000

Goalies:

Price: $2,750,000

Sanford: $1,500,000

Total: $61,811,309 / $64,000,000

Cap Space Remaining: $2,188,691

NOTE: This number is a rough estimate. I probably overpaid some guys and underpaid others, so it should even out.

According to Spector's Hockey Weber has apparently signed a 2 year deal. Terms not disclosed yet. Furthermore Markov and Gorges appear to be coming back.

MONTREAL GAZETTE: Pat Hickey reports Andrei Markov’s agent, Don Meehan, is working with Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier on a new contract for Markov, and will meet again during the upcoming NHL entry draft. Hickey believes the anticipated increase of the salary cap to $64 million should leave enough for Gauthier to re-sign Markov and RFA defenseman Josh Gorges, plus Yannick Weber (his new deal should be announced soon), a backup goalie and “three minimum wage forwards”.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: I don’t foresee the Habs having any problems re-signing Markov and Gorges, and Weber’s new two-year deal was recently leaked by a Swiss paper.

I keep reading articles regarding the Flyers cap situation and wanting to bring in Bryzgalov. Dreger from TSN says a trade is needed to bring in Bryzgalov. If I were PG I would think about this trade:

TO MTL:

Goaltender M. LEIGHTON - 1.6M IN 2011 - 2012 and is a UFA in 2012.

Right wing K. VERSTEEG - 3.083M IN 2011-2012 and is a RFA in 2012.

Negotiating rights to RFA defenseman D. SYVRET.

VERSTEEG plays in all offensive situations and did well with his time on the Flyers playing in a 2nd to 3rd line roll. LEIGHTON is a just as good as AULD to back-up to PRICE and the Flyers can get rid of a goalie to bring in Bryzgalov. SYVRET is just cheap defensive depth with the ability to improve.

TO PHI:

Negotiating rights to RFA winger B. POULIOT.

3rd Round Pick.

POULIOT provides depth for the Flyers and realistically; they will probably request a roster player.

LINES

CAMMALLERI - PLEAKNEC - KOSTITSYN

PACIORIETTY - GOMEZ - GIONTA

MOEN/DARCHE - ELLER - VERSTEEG

All lines have the ability to score, all have size on a wing.

I keep reading articles regarding the Flyers cap situation and wanting to bring in Bryzgalov. Dreger from TSN says a trade is needed to bring in Bryzgalov. If I were PG I would think about this trade:

TO MTL:

Goaltender M. LEIGHTON - 1.6M IN 2011 - 2012 and is a UFA in 2012.

Right wing K. VERSTEEG - 3.083M IN 2011-2012 and is a RFA in 2012.

Negotiating rights to RFA defenseman D. SYVRET.

VERSTEEG plays in all offensive situations and did well with his time on the Flyers playing in a 2nd to 3rd line roll. LEIGHTON is a just as good as AULD to back-up to PRICE and the Flyers can get rid of a goalie to bring in Bryzgalov. SYVRET is just cheap defensive depth with the ability to improve.

TO PHI:

Negotiating rights to RFA winger B. POULIOT.

3rd Round Pick.

POULIOT provides depth for the Flyers and realistically; they will probably request a roster player.

LINES

CAMMALLERI - PLEAKNEC - KOSTITSYN

PACIORIETTY - GOMEZ - GIONTA

MOEN/DARCHE - ELLER - VERSTEEG

All lines have the ability to score, all have size on a wing.

Somehow I feel like any player that played for the Leafs has been "tainted"...

Somehow I feel like any player that played for the Leafs has been "tainted"...

Leafs just used Versteeg in the wrong way. He is a slotted third line player with the ability to play on the second line and in all offensive situations. Like in Chicago. He is a right hand shot with good hands. Only problem he is a little small. In order to pick him up we would need some size from free agency.

Oh....and I guess Kaberlae would be out for you too.

Archived