The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2011-2012 Habs Rumors

BigTed3

Update on Jagr and Hamrlik from Marc de Foy of canoe.ca... saying basically that Petr Svoboda, the agent for both has said

- that PG has shown little interest in signing Jagr despite Jagr's interest in signing here

- that he will speak to PG about Hamrlik's situation later this week

My interpretation of these comments, if they are correctly reported would be that Jagr is not 100% out of the picture here but that PG likely wants to take things past July 1st and see what other options he has first and that Jagr is not Plan A and possibly not even Plan B. As for Hamrlik, the situation is probably similar and given that PG plans to talk to Svoboda, I suppose this means he is not completely written out of the picture, although I maintain my position that I think he is merely a back-up plan in case they can't get a deal done with Markov.

I say enough is enough with these reclamation projects. Its good to have small talent forwards, however it is better to surround them with size too. There are plenty examples of small forwards excelling throughout the league if you have some guys with size around them. Until someone, anyone, in this organization realizes this we will continue to be average at best and maybe pull off an upset here or there....

Latest is... It appears Jaromir Jagr would like to resume his NHL career and the Pittsburgh Penguins are at the top of the list of teams for which he would play.

Would Jagr have to clear waivers like Nabokov had to?

No, I believe not. Nabokov had to clear waivers because he signed after the start of the season. If Jagr signs before the start of the regular season, he would be waiver-exempt the way any other UFA would be prior to the start of the season.

No, I believe not. Nabokov had to clear waivers because he signed after the start of the season. If Jagr signs before the start of the regular season, he would be waiver-exempt the way any other UFA would be prior to the start of the season.

Just to add on to this, Nabokov had to clear waivers because he played in another professional league earlier that year. (Which obviously doesn't occur if you sign before the season as Ted pointed out). Someone like Forsberg who was not under contract anywhere could sign mid-season without worrying about waivers.

Guest Regis2

Yes I just read this. I don't know why I thought we could get him in the first place.

At his age he probbaly would want to play for a team that has a fairly good chance of winning the CUp ..with a healthy Malkin and Crosby ......voila :)

we signed Markov 2 yrs worth 11.5 million

Have not read anywhere's that this is confirmed,( After the report spread via Twitter, Markov’s agent, Don Meehan, denied a deal was imminent this week, but added a deal could be done by next week. Meehan is supposed to meet with Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier in Minnesota later this week during the NHL entry draft)...but if true,my reaction to the $$$$$$$ will be censored.dry.gif

Have not read anywhere's that this is confirmed,( After the report spread via Twitter, Markov’s agent, Don Meehan, denied a deal was imminent this week, but added a deal could be done by next week. Meehan is supposed to meet with Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier in Minnesota later this week during the NHL entry draft)...but if true,my reaction to the $$$$$$$ will be censored.dry.gif

From CJAD's Abe Hefter, dated today @ 7:45.

"The agent for Andrei Markov has thrown cold water on reports that the Canadiens will sign defenceman Andrei Markov to a two-year deal worth $11.5 million dollars.

In an email to yours truly, Don Meehan denies that a deal is done involving Markov and the Canadiens. Having said that, I'm fine if the Canadiens DO sign Markov to a two-year deal. He's worth a two-year commitment"

He's worth a two-year commitment"

At how much?

Another bizarre rumor, this time from Andy Strickland of truehockey.com, who suggests the Habs could make a move to acquire Vinny Lecavalier (yes, Vinny to the Habs apparently still lives to some) in order to allow the Lightning to sign Stamkos by matching any ridiculous contract offered to him by the Leafs. Strickland hypothesizes that the Habs would send Gomez and another player back the other way. While this trade doesn't help the Lightning out much in terms of a cap hit, it does allow them to pay out much less in actual dollars (Vinny earns 10M a year even though his cap hit is 7.7M, while Gomez's contract is shorter and after this year, will only pay him about 5M a year). The theory would be that this deal would give allow the Lightning owners to be able to pay Stamkos and possibly go after Richards as well, and maybe they even consider burying Gomez in the minors. As I said, it's bizarre and I don't think this is well-thought out on Strickland's part, but that's the rumor... Lecavalier's contract is a disaster (much worse than Gomez's) and frankly, the Lightning are not going to let Stamos walk to the Leafs anyways, so I don't see why we should be the ones to help them out unless we're the ones getting something else interesting back in return as well.

Another bizarre rumor, this time from Andy Strickland of truehockey.com, who suggests the Habs could make a move to acquire Vinny Lecavalier

OMG

LOL-large.gif

and here we go again...laugh.gif

in order to allow the Lightning to sign Stamkos by matching any ridiculous contract offered to him by the Leafs.

Oh Crap.huh.gif

Those Jagr rumors will never die. Here's the recent tweets from TSN's Bob McKenzie:

Hearing that the "mystery" third NHL team on Jagr's list is MTL. JJ intrigued at possibility of hooking up with Tomas Plekanec.

I know MTL was on original list but was told that's third team, for what it's worth. PIT interest in JJ doesn't seem as great as DET.

The dream is still alive.

He's just going to make Yzerman hate his guts.

as if he'd care.lol

Could Detroit really afford it?

Yes

The dream is still alive.

One thing we do best as habs fans....were use to it.;)

Cammi,Pleks,Jagr

Gionta,Lecavalier,Patches

lmao

You are now our newly appointed GM...

Man,wish you were at the table Friday night....maybe you can wheel & deal this do able.:lol:

Archived