The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Lines 2011-12

WinnipegJet

The main problem I, and I think a lot of Habs fans, have with having DD at third line center is dropping Eller to the fourth. A number of factors like the trade for Halak, his impressive size, and good play toward the end of last season make is VERY difficult to see him on the fourth. While it seems very unfortunate to have to put one of our talented young guys on a line on which he likely wont produce very well, this is a pretty good problem to have. I, as I said would like Eller on the third with DD on the wing but in the end I;ll support whatever JM decides to do as long as it works out and can't wait to see how everything gels together come October 6th!

Go Habs Go :)

As I said, it's hard to put Eller on the 4th. But I think it's harder (and worse for the team) to stick DD there. Eller may be the better talent in the long run, but DD is ahead of him in his development right now and I think he complements AK46 and Darche better than Eller does.

As you said, another option would be to throw DD and Eller onto the third line together. But both of them are centers and both are better suited to being puck distributors rather than scorers or guys who stand in front or the net or who dig pucks out of corners. To me, Darche is a better fit on that line, and he showed last year that he could be effective playing with Gio and Gomez or with Benny and Halpern or with Benny and DD. In other words, Darche did a nice job completing whatever trio he was put on because he does things other players on the team don't. I think he would be a nice complement to whichever young center you put him with in terms of leadership (particularly DD, as they're both Quebecers) but also a nice fit for AK to keep his motivation level up.

If you stick Eller and DD on the third line, it leaves Darche, White, and Moen to fill out the 4th line. So either you move one of those guys (likely White) to center or else you end up removing one of them from the line-up in favor of a guy like Engqvist or Trotter. And overall, I just don't see that being a positive move for us right now. I personally value the energy both Darche and White bring to the line-up, and while I'm not the biggest Moen fan, I don't think Engqvist is ready to replace him on the PK, after we've already lost a veteran penalty killer like Halpern without replacing him. So to me, the logical move is to keep Eller on the 4th to start the year. He'll get his chance to move up shortly, as there will undoubtedly be an injury or slump amongst one of the top 9. But for now, he's the one who's the most raw and he's the one coming off a big injury, so it makes more sense to have him be the guy to work his way back up through the line-up if he earns it.

Yeah I think a lot of people, including myself, are/were in a hurry for Lars to develop because of the trade, a Gomez replacement, and most importantly his good size. This is the guy's second full season in the NHL and the fact that we have seen him develop pretty well is a very good thing. I guess the fourth line wouldnt be too bad for him and would give him extra motivation to work hard and play his way up the roster while perfecting his defensive game and maybe even learning a thing or two from Moen about using his size. We really dont have to rush DD or Eller because we are likely stuck with Gomez for a little while anyways.

I know I am going back and forth regarding who of DD or Eller or both should be on the third/fourth line but that is beause I like them both. Usually we can anticipate our whole starting line up but I really have no idea what JM intends to do with the third/fourth lines. The only player who seems like a lock is AK on the third.

But this is just one of the many reasons I am looking forward to pre season and Oct 6 !!

DROP THAT PUCKKKKK !! :lol:

I know I am going back and forth regarding who of DD or Eller or both should be on the third/fourth line but that is beause I like them both. Usually we can anticipate our whole starting line up but I really have no idea what JM intends to do with the third/fourth lines. The only player who seems like a lock is AK on the third.

But this is just one of the many reasons I am looking forward to pre season and Oct 6 !!

DROP THAT PUCKKKKK !! :lol:

It will be a nice luxury for JM to be able to count on 8-9 guys who can provide him with some offence this year, although I suspect that with injuries, those options will be cut down a bit as the season goes on. After 20 games or so, I'm sure we'll have seen guys like AK, Eller, DD, and Darche all have their chances on the top lines. Maybe even guys like Palushaj or Trotter could be called up into that role. So even though spots may not be open now, each guy still needs to work to show he should get the first crack at filling in, because that time will come.

It will be a nice luxury for JM to be able to count on 8-9 guys who can provide him with some offence this year, although I suspect that with injuries, those options will be cut down a bit as the season goes on. After 20 games or so, I'm sure we'll have seen guys like AK, Eller, DD, and Darche all have their chances on the top lines. Maybe even guys like Palushaj or Trotter could be called up into that role. So even though spots may not be open now, each guy still needs to work to show he should get the first crack at filling in, because that time will come.

If all goes well, we'll easily have about 11 players with more than 30 points at the end of the season. 12 players if Darche is lucky.

However, I'd like to see Palushaj again. He impressed me last season ;)

If all goes well, we'll easily have about 11 players with more than 30 points at the end of the season. 12 players if Darche is lucky.

White and Moen almost definitely wont hit 30 and maybe not Darche. But yes we will should get some goot offence this year :)

White and Moen almost definitely wont hit 30 and maybe not Darche. But yes we will should get some goot offence this year :)

I'd be surprised to see 11 players with 30 points. Like BreakAway said, Moen and White are unlikely to get there, Moen because he has hands of stone and White because he just won't get the opportunity to play in point-scoring situations with linemates with enough offensive talent to produce. I do believe White could put up 30 points iv he was given ice time and some spot duty on the PP but it won't happen. Ditto for Darche, who showed he could produce last year when given the chance. But with the depth building up in front of him, I doubt he'll see too many quality minutes unless there are injuries, and even then I think he'll have a hard time replicating what he did last year. Even Eller may be a stretch to hit 30 point unless he picks up his finish around the net.

My guess is that we'll more likely have 7-8 guys hit 30 points, but the bigger question for me is how many will hit 60. Pleks is capable. So is Cammalleri. Cole is a long-shot, as is Gionta. Gomez may actually be the third most likely to get to 60 if his line-mates finish the pucks he distributes. But if we can find 3 guys who break the 60 point barrier, our odds of doing well go way up.

I'd be surprised to see 11 players with 30 points. Like BreakAway said, Moen and White are unlikely to get there, Moen because he has hands of stone and White because he just won't get the opportunity to play in point-scoring situations with linemates with enough offensive talent to produce. I do believe White could put up 30 points iv he was given ice time and some spot duty on the PP but it won't happen. Ditto for Darche, who showed he could produce last year when given the chance. But with the depth building up in front of him, I doubt he'll see too many quality minutes unless there are injuries, and even then I think he'll have a hard time replicating what he did last year. Even Eller may be a stretch to hit 30 point unless he picks up his finish around the net.

My guess is that we'll more likely have 7-8 guys hit 30 points, but the bigger question for me is how many will hit 60. Pleks is capable. So is Cammalleri. Cole is a long-shot, as is Gionta. Gomez may actually be the third most likely to get to 60 if his line-mates finish the pucks he distributes. But if we can find 3 guys who break the 60 point barrier, our odds of doing well go way up.

The Leafs had four 60 point players last year and still did bad. But thats the leafs they could find a wy to screw up anything !

The Leafs had four 60 point players last year and still did bad. But thats the leafs they could find a wy to screw up anything !

The Leafs also lack any kind of depth up front, so they were relying on the same guys to play their PP game in game out. We play a little bit more of a conservative game than the Leafs and this season in particular, we are 10 guys or so deep in terms of who could play the top lines or grab PP ice time. Because of that, I think you'll see our points distributed a bit more up and down the line-up. So we may end up with fewer guys hitting 60 but more guys hitting 40, for example. That said, there need to be a handful of guys who step up and lead the way offensively. We need to establish players on at least two lines who can score with some consistency if we want to be more successful than just a lower-tier playoff team.

They didn't do horribly in the standings and their biggest problem was keeping the puck out of their net, particularly before the strong play of Reimer. Like BigTed mentioned, they also lacked forward depth but that should be better this season.

The Leafs also lack any kind of depth up front, so they were relying on the same guys to play their PP game in game out. We play a little bit more of a conservative game than the Leafs and this season in particular, we are 10 guys or so deep in terms of who could play the top lines or grab PP ice time. Because of that, I think you'll see our points distributed a bit more up and down the line-up. So we may end up with fewer guys hitting 60 but more guys hitting 40, for example. That said, there need to be a handful of guys who step up and lead the way offensively. We need to establish players on at least two lines who can score with some consistency if we want to be more successful than just a lower-tier playoff team.

if we ever want to be playing hockey in June, we need 3 dangerous lines....

The key for the Habs potential is the depth in both Montreal and Hamilton,having players that can fill in for tired or injured players at most positions.This will be where the Habs join the "Elite teams"finally being able to draw from within their own ranks and keeping our draft choices.

My guess is that we'll more likely have 7-8 guys hit 30 points, but the bigger question for me is how many will hit 60.

Bingo. There's no real question that this team has depth in the form of 30 and 40 point players. What is more of a concern (and important) is the top end talent - people who can put up 55, 60, 65 points. Right now Plekanec is the only guy who seems to be a lock, but it sure would be nice to have 3 or 4 guys over 60 points.

Im still hoping for the day we have a 90 point scorer again, although I dont see that happening for a few more years (barring a trade).

Interesting to note, Martin ran with Kostitsyn-Pleaknec-Cole for a couple of shifts in the third. I don't know if Cammalleri was indisposed for a short period of time, or not, but I also thought that combination could be quite alright.

I think it could work for the occasional shift if we wanted to have a particularly physical shift(or in the case of injury), but in most situations I think I want Cammalleri playing with Plekanec. Cammalleri is our best pure goal scorer, and Plekanec is our best playmaker, it only seems logical to have them on the same line to me. If you put AK on the first line, Cammalleri would likely play on the second with Gomez and Gionta, which hasn't been a good combination in the past, as well as the omnipresent "smurf" concerns.

Interesting to note, Martin ran with Kostitsyn-Pleaknec-Cole for a couple of shifts in the third. I don't know if Cammalleri was indisposed for a short period of time, or not, but I also thought that combination could be quite alright.

If I recall correctly, Cammy was changing his skates (or doing something with his skates, I don't remember specifically).

Needs to be said after watching this game....

I'd like to see:

Cole - Plekanec - Cammalleri

Pacioretty - DESHARNAIS - Gionta

Eller - Gomez - Kostitsyn (what a 3rd line)

Darche - White - Moen

Markov - Gorges

Subban - Gill

Spacek / Yemelin / Weber / Diaz

Price

Budaj

David could definitely knock Gomez from that 2nd line center spot

Do we really want to play Eller on the wing? We saw that he is CLEARLY a lot more comfprtable at centre and started to play well when put there. Moving him to the wing might be better for us if he learns to adapt because it will be a lot easier to keep him and DD and have them both in the top 6 if they are good enough. DD's small stature makes him better suited for centre and he has great vision. It might hurt us short term but assuming he adjusts eventualy, it could be great for us in the future. You've got some decisions to make JM!

Eller is often favorited by fans because of his size, but DD despite his size is incredibly creative and will give Gomez another reason to work his butt off to bounce back this season.

Here's my lineup!

Cammy-Plekanec-Cole

AK-Gomez-Gionta

Moen-Eller-Darche (Defensive, Shutdown Line)

Pac-Desharnais-Trotter

Here's why!

Pacioretty says Desharnais is the best player he's ever played with, then play with him. Trotter came back from the KHL and has impressed Martin so far, and they both play great with Desharnais.

Moen was part of the shutdown line that helped Anaheim win the Cup, Eller played well as a shutdown centre in the playoffs, and Darche is a quality shutdown guy.

Gomez is not the team's #1 center, Gomez and Gionta play well together, AK is a pretty complete player that can play with these 2 and adds size to the line.

Plekanec is the team's #1 center, Cole really prefers right wing and is a power forward, Cammy is the team's top natural goal scorer.

Please comment, I'm curious about your thoughts on this lineup. Thank you!

Archived