The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Lines 2011-12

WinnipegJet

This year we have a chance to ice three very effective lines with the quality of our top-9 forwards. This means that our top 3 lines should equally split ice-time and the fourth line should be the shut down line. It will be very important to adress this matter in the locker room, so that players filling the third line see there role as important as playing in the first line. (To JM) Total ice time must be equally shared to the top three lines.

We have 4 centermen (Plekanec,Gomez,Desharnais and Eller), none of whom should center the fourth shut down line. This means that we have to fill an empty roster spot, and also one of our centermen must play wing. I personally hoped that Enqvist could fill that role, but as season approaches rapidly i would be more comfortable to adress this matter via trade. (Is it to late to offer Buffalo a 3rd for Gaustad?). This trade automatically adresses two huge problems (lack of size in the bottom three and poor team faceoff percentage). As for our centermen Plekanec and Eller can't play wing effectively, so it really comes down to Gomez or Desharnais. I personally think we should experiment with Gomez at the wing. For all we know this may elevate his overall production.

Of course there are, based on last years performances and chemistry, some bonna fide combos. Plekanec must play with Cammalleri, Gomez must play with Gionta, Pacioretty must play with Desharnais. Having all these in my mind this is the forward line up, i would chose for the beggining of the season: ( no injuries included)

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Kostitsyn

Gomez - Eller - Gionta

Moen - Gaustad - Darche

ex.White/Trotter

Here's my lineup!

Cammy-Plekanec-Cole

AK-Gomez-Gionta

Moen-Eller-Darche (Defensive, Shutdown Line)

Pac-Desharnais-Trotter

Here's why!

Pacioretty says Desharnais is the best player he's ever played with, then play with him. Trotter came back from the KHL and has impressed Martin so far, and they both play great with Desharnais.

Moen was part of the shutdown line that helped Anaheim win the Cup, Eller played well as a shutdown centre in the playoffs, and Darche is a quality shutdown guy.

Gomez is not the team's #1 center, Gomez and Gionta play well together, AK is a pretty complete player that can play with these 2 and adds size to the line.

Plekanec is the team's #1 center, Cole really prefers right wing and is a power forward, Cammy is the team's top natural goal scorer.

Please comment, I'm curious about your thoughts on this lineup. Thank you!

Not very good IMHO. Trotter showed he should not be in the NHL to me, he was disappointing so far. You're putting Pac (possibly our biggest goal and maybe points scorer, if he develops as he think I will) on the fourth (well, it would really be the third line I guess, since I see the Eller line as 4th line).. doesn't make much sense.

Ryan White should be there instead of Trotter on a 4th line with Darche and Moen. Eller should be on a third line, possibly with AK and Desharnais. Pac has showed last year he was great with Gomez and Gionta. Yes he did well with Desharnais in the AHL and the first pre-season game, but the problem is you can't really move Gomez off that 2nd line at the moment (I wish we could).

More importantly, we and the players will need to see the first 3 lines almost as equal in terms of play time and production value this year. If everyone play well, this would be a tremendous force for the habs.

We'll probably see Pac play with both Desharnais and Gomez this season anyway.

i likw what i seen of yemelin last night he was solid made some decent hits.. showed some puck movement so im liking his chances of being on the team with that said here are my lines

Cammy Plecky Cole

Patches Gomez Gionta

Kostitson Eller Desharnais

White Gallager Moen

Markov Yemelin

Gorges Subban

Weber Boullieau

Henry Scratched

i know thats not what they will be but this is my setup...

i likw what i seen of yemelin last night he was solid made some decent hits.. showed some puck movement so im liking his chances of being on the team with that said here are my lines

Cammy Plecky Cole

Patches Gomez Gionta

Kostitson Eller Desharnais

White Gallager Moen

Markov Yemelin

Gorges Subban

Weber Boullieau

Henry Scratched

i know thats not what they will be but this is my setup...

I like your fwd lines, but I can't see Gill going anywhere....

I'd say:

Cammalleri Plekanec Cole

Patches Gomez Gionta

Kostitson Desharnais Eller

White Gallager Moen

Markov Yemelin

Gorges Subban

Gill Beaulieu

Again highly unlikely that either beaulieu or gallagher make it but it would be fun to see it.... i give gallager a better chance then beaulieu

This year we have a chance to ice three very effective lines with the quality of our top-9 forwards. This means that our top 3 lines should equally split ice-time and the fourth line should be the shut down line. It will be very important to adress this matter in the locker room, so that players filling the third line see there role as important as playing in the first line. (To JM) Total ice time must be equally shared to the top three lines.

We have 4 centermen (Plekanec,Gomez,Desharnais and Eller), none of whom should center the fourth shut down line. This means that we have to fill an empty roster spot, and also one of our centermen must play wing. I personally hoped that Enqvist could fill that role, but as season approaches rapidly i would be more comfortable to adress this matter via trade. (Is it to late to offer Buffalo a 3rd for Gaustad?). This trade automatically adresses two huge problems (lack of size in the bottom three and poor team faceoff percentage). As for our centermen Plekanec and Eller can't play wing effectively, so it really comes down to Gomez or Desharnais. I personally think we should experiment with Gomez at the wing. For all we know this may elevate his overall production.

Of course there are, based on last years performances and chemistry, some bonna fide combos. Plekanec must play with Cammalleri, Gomez must play with Gionta, Pacioretty must play with Desharnais. Having all these in my mind this is the forward line up, i would chose for the beggining of the season: ( no injuries included)

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Kostitsyn

Gomez - Eller - Gionta

Moen - Gaustad - Darche

ex.White/Trotter

White will center the 4th line man..

Let's have some fun with the D in let's say December:

Markov - Gorges

Gill - Subban

Campoli - Yemelin

Spacek

It's not horrible looking. It's still not much better. Basically, Yemelin, Spacek and Campoli will all be playing musical chairs with Campoli likely winning out as number 5.

For now:

Gill - Subban

Campoli - Gorges

Yemelin - Spacek

Weber at forward.

Maybe over the remaining two games of pre-season play we will start to get a better idea of what Martin intends to do with the line-up.

My best guess would be...! ;)

Mike Cammalleri - Tomas Plekanec - Erik Cole

Max Pacioretty - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta

Andrei Kostitsyn - David Desharnais - Aaron Palushaj

Mathieu Darche - ??? - Michael Blunden

I am assuming injuries to Lars Eller, Ryan White, and Travis Moen (Moen is injured, right?).

Defence is another question. Assuming Markov is injured.

Jaroslav Spacek - P.K. Subban

Hal Gill - Josh Gorges

Alexei Yemelin - Chris Campoli

Or something... Man, our defence looks rough.

I wonder, would we keep Gallagher for that trial period where you can still send them back down to Junior without the first year of their contract kicking in?

Maybe over the remaining two games of pre-season play we will start to get a better idea of what Martin intends to do with the line-up.

My best guess would be...! ;)

Mike Cammalleri - Tomas Plekanec - Erik Cole

Max Pacioretty - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta

Andrei Kostitsyn - David Desharnais - Aaron Palushaj

Mathieu Darche - ??? - Michael Blunden

I am assuming injuries to Lars Eller, Ryan White, and Travis Moen (Moen is injured, right?).

Defence is another question. Assuming Markov is injured.

Jaroslav Spacek - P.K. Subban

Hal Gill - Josh Gorges

Alexei Yemelin - Chris Campoli

Or something... Man, our defence looks rough.

I wonder, would we keep Gallagher for that trial period where you can still send them back down to Junior without the first year of their contract kicking in?

I think we should, He has done everything right.

Cole Pleks Cam

Pax Gomer GIo

AK Eller/DD Gallagher

White (if healthy) Willsie(til eller gets back) Moen

Gill SUbban

Campoli Gorges

Spacek Yemelin

Now that our line-up is starting to take shape, this is what I'd like to see if everyone is healthy:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

AK46-Desharnais-Darche

Moen-Eller-White

Markov-Gorges

Gill-Subban

Campoli-Yemelin

Extras: Spacek, Palushaj (rotating with Darche and Moen), either Weber or Diaz

But it's very tempting to throw Gallagher into the line-up. The problem I see with this is the abundance of small players already, and because I prefer DD to Eller as the third line center, I have trouble slotting Gallagher into the top 9, where he would need to play.

Now that our line-up is starting to take shape, this is what I'd like to see if everyone is healthy:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

AK46-Desharnais-Darche

Moen-Eller-White

Markov-Gorges

Gill-Subban

Campoli-Yemelin

But it's very tempting to throw Gallagher into the line-up. The problem I see with this is the abundance of small players already, and because I prefer DD to Eller as the third line center, I have trouble slotting Gallagher into the top 9, where he would need to play.

Really like that lineup. Looks likely. My only wish would be to see Eller-AK reunited, the D pairings are perfect IMO.

My bottom 6:

Desharnais - Eller - Kostitsyn

Just feel like it has all the elements a secondary scoring line needs, distributor, transporter and shooter. Darche would be good here too but the line would be more reliant on ugly goals rather than one-timers and cycles.

Moen - White - Darche

An honest 4th line. Limited skill with enormous will. I like it.

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

AK46-Desharnais-Darche

Moen-Eller-White

Markov-Gorges

Gill-Subban

Campoli-Yemelin

Seems Gallagher could be lining up at right wing on the third line with Kostitsyn and Desharnais for the next game at least... should be fun to watch.

In terms of size every line has some by the look of things... 1st - Cole, 2nd - Pacioretty, 3rd - Kostitsyn, 4th - Moen (Darche and Eller? maybe a Blunden?). Maybe there could be room for the right player and Gallagher may be that player and he plays bigger than some bigger players currently with the team ;) (slim chance perhaps)

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

AK46-Desharnais-Darche

Moen-Eller-White

Markov-Gorges

Gill-Subban

Campoli-Yemelin

I like it. I think we might see Gallagher get a taste if there are still a couple of injuries, then he'll be sent back to junior. Honestly, that's probably best for his development, as appealing as it may be to toss him in the line-up.

Also, my fearless prediction: Spacek is going play and step up big while Markov is out.

Cole hasn't played that much with Pleks and Cammy, it's kinda strange.

Thursday is going to look like this:

Cammy - Pleks - Cole

Pacs - Gomez - Gionta

Darche - Desharnais - Kostitsyn

Moen - Enqvist - Weber

Gill - Subban

Campoli - Gorges

Spacek - Diaz

Price

Cole hasn't played that much with Pleks and Cammy, it's kinda strange.

Thursday is going to look like this:

Cammy - Pleks - Cole

Pacs - Gomez - Gionta

Darche - Desharnais - Kostitsyn

Moen - Enqvist - Weber

Gill - Subban

Campoli - Gorges

Spacek - Diaz

Price

Not so sure, Cole practiced with Darche & DD again today

Not so sure, Cole practiced with Darche & DD again today

I believe the thinking might be that Cole has a better chance of motivating himself if he's playing with DD and Darche or Eller, whereas AK46 seems to be a bit lost without Plekanec. So maybe JM is hedging his bet that he can have Cole play well with lesser linemates while AK stays hot on the Pleks line. I don't think it's a bad idea if Cole's on board with it, although I think if the third line is comprised of DD and Cole, a better complement might be a guy like Palushaj who can shoot.

Spacek - Diaz

Does anyone actually think this will translate into opening night? What would be the basis behind starting Diaz over Yemelin? Spacek over Woywitka makes sense to me I guess. Jaro can still move the puck somewhat when called upon Jeff not so much. Something about Woywitka bothers me to not sure what it is but we'll see how much he plays this year.

Archived