The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Lines 2011-12

WinnipegJet

Mathieu Darche-David Desharnais-Erik Cole

barf line, its a speedy and gritty line but lacks a legit scorer.

Im a little lost myself.

It looked like there was room for a lot of growth for a Cam-Plek-Cole line, a line that could actually contend with other teams top lines. Maybe this third line decision is temporary (until Eller returns from injury?) or won't even translate into tomorrow's nights lines, but its a little odd. How much scoring is JM accepting out of Eric playing with David and Mathieu, and how confident is JM in Kostytsn is what Im wondering.

Hopefully this is just temporary until Eller is back. I think the reason JM wants to try this is because the previous 3rd line was horrible defensively. When Eller is back, I see no reason to continue this, because Ak and Eller have chemistry and Eller is better defensively than DD. DD could be used on their wing, or maybe Moen to help defensively.

Maybe JM is trying to take the pressure off Cole to start the season by placing it on Andrei? :blink::huh::blink:

Hard to say at this point. I'm thinking this is temporary until Eller comes back and/or AK's hot streak comes to an end (if it even gets going).

I still expect Cole will be in the top 6 for the vast majority of the year and get PP time.

Cammy-Plekanec-Cole

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Kostitsyn-Desharnais-Darche

Moen-Betts-White

I'm unsure if Eller is still hurt. But if he's healthy, then it's Darche/White/Moen for Eller. I know Jacques likes Moen lots, but I'd like to see a tad more from him this year physically because you know White will bring it.

Cammy-Plekanec-Cole

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Kostitsyn-Desharnais-Darche

Moen-Betts-White

I'm unsure if Eller is still hurt. But if he's healthy, then it's Darche/White/Moen for Eller. I know Jacques likes Moen lots, but I'd like to see a tad more from him this year physically because you know White will bring it.

White may "bring it" but Moen is smart and strong on the PK, I'm expecting him and Betts to anchor our first PK unit and I'm glad that it will take some of the load of Plekanec and to a lesser extent, Gionta. White doesn't appear to be trusted on the PK. It's a big factor for me. Moen is a lock, White and Darche are battling it out for the 12th spot.

Cole Plekanec Cammalleri

Pacioretty Gomez Gionta

Desharnais Eller Kostitsyn

Moen Betts Darche/White

White may "bring it" but Moen is smart and strong on the PK, I'm expecting him and Betts to anchor our first PK unit and I'm glad that it will take some of the load of Plekanec and to a lesser extent, Gionta. White doesn't appear to be trusted on the PK. It's a big factor for me. Moen is a lock, White and Darche are battling it out for the 12th spot.

I've actually gotten used to the duo of Pleks/Moen and it's been decent. I'd think about possibly using Betts with DD so that we balance out the size and skating ability a little better.

I really like how Martin has been juggling Cole/Patches/Ak between the top 3 lines. I mean Im all for consistency, but we have a LOT of depth (albeit, not top top end depth) this year in our top 9 or so and it will be really interesting to see how Martin utilizes that. The fact that all 3 of those guys can play a very similar north-south, drive to the net sort of game should make transitioning better. The other positive, of course, is that guys like Eller and DD will actually get to play with some quality linemates & not just "the best of the rest" that is left over. On any given night this season I think our top 3 lines could be ranked 1 - 2 -3 in any order.

What I really hope though, is that our top 3 lines get used much more than our 4th line in the "big games." I mean i have no problem with martin dividing the ice-time evenly when we play teams like Toronto or Winnipeg, but once the games against the bruins, the caps, the sabres start - well then I would really love to see a shortened bench and our top 3 lines getting 80% of the ice time. If we do that, I think we will be a much harder team to play against.

I'm not really holding my breath on Campoli. I saw the awkward fall but didn't see him struggle off the ice. Apparently he's on crutches now?

I guess that means:

PK-Gill

Gorges-Yemelin

Spacek-Diaz

We're definitely thin on the blue line, but I do have some hope for both Diaz and Yemelin. Looks like they're both going to get thrown in the fire right away, so hopefully they learn quick.

As for forwards, JM really has to keep AK on the 3rd line. His skill is a lot more apparent and his laziness less obvious when he's playing against lesser opponents. It's not like he'll have duds for linemates this year with Desharnais and eventually Eller. The Habs made a nice pickup in Cole, so let's use him. Put him on the first line with Cammy and Pleks.

jedi, how's that line juggling working out? AK was BRUTAL. The whole team was but as I've said on numerous occasions WE ALREADY KNOW AK46 DOESN'T TAKE YOU TO THE PROMISED LAND! Eric Cole was not signed to make DD produce or to stretch out depth by being the depth player. He's a legit 25 goal power forward and we left him off the PP-all night. The PP was awful also. That will take time but we also lack skill, net presence and creativity. The best PP was with Darche in front.

Here's what the lineup should be, I'm assuming no Campoli Sunday.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole

Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta

Darche - Desharnais - Kostitsyn

Moen - Betts - Weber

Gill - Subban

Gorges - Diaz

Spacek - Yemelin

PP1 -

Cammy - Pleks - Cole

Spacek - Subban

PP2 -

Gionta - Gomez - Patches

Diaz - Weber

WOW, That D is :huh:

jedi, how's that line juggling working out? AK was BRUTAL. The whole team was but as I've said on numerous occasions WE ALREADY KNOW AK46 DOESN'T TAKE YOU TO THE PROMISED LAND! Eric Cole was not signed to make DD produce or to stretch out depth by being the depth player. He's a legit 25 goal power forward and we left him off the PP-all night. The PP was awful also. That will take time but we also lack skill, net presence and creativity. The best PP was with Darche in front.

Moen - Betts - Weber

Gill - Subban

Gorges - Diaz

Spacek - Yemelin

PP1 -

Cammy - Pleks - Cole

Spacek - Subban

PP2 -

Gionta - Gomez - Patches

Diaz - Weber

Well I agree that Cole wasn't signed to play the third line, but frankly he did nothing on either line last night. JM has the problem of having a guy like AK who is harder to motivate when he's not playing with Pleks and a guy like Cole who has also not done as well in his career when not playing on the first line (with Staal). So one gets to play the minutes and one is going to suffer. The question is how you decide that. I don't have a definite preference of one over the other. My only issue with last night was the way JM yanked AK off the top line in the second period. As I said in the GDT, I don't know how you can watch a guy have one good period, 5 bad minutes, and then demote him. If you're going to stat AK on the top line then use him there. He wasn't the problem last night, and I hate to see JM alienate him by making moves like that.

It seems as though every year lately there is a problem with line combinations (hence a lines thread :lol: )... spread it around, look for balance, three scoring lines, impatience in one area too much in others etc., etc., etc.

Keeps it interesting huh? ;)

Issues with players seem to dictate some of the changes. Pacioretty refuses to play the third line, Kostitsyn grumbles about playing the third line, sign a top six forward and play him on the third line, success at one time makes things a given, then again it doesn't depending on who the player is and who the coach likes/dislikes...

Keeps it interesting huh? ;)

Here's a thought... set the lines and live with it for twenty games before making changes on the fly with the next best thoery. Let things gel a little... heck maybe even impose the use of hair gel ;)

Moen - Betts - Weber

Gill - Subban

Gorges - Diaz

Spacek - Yemelin

PP1 -

Cammy - Pleks - Cole

Spacek - Subban

PP2 -

Gionta - Gomez - Patches

Diaz - Weber

I thought AK was fine last night, just as effective as Cole. I do like the line-up you posted though.

It's already been posted before and I'm sure it will again but Cole has historically been pretty bad on the power the play. It's basically the weakness in his game. His thing has always been that he's one of the more effective 5-on-5 scorers which is great, since it's what this team has traditionally been lacking anyway.

We can debate Cole vs Kostitsyn, Kostitsyn vs Cole all day but I don't think it's really going to make a whole lot of difference. To be honest we could probably throw the names of our top nine forwards into a hat and draw the lines at random and we'd end up with something workable.

What really killed us last night, in my opinion, were penalties and the defence. Especially in that brutal second period there were so many penalties to both sides that our set lines never even really got a chance to play together. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I don't remember seeing either Cole OR Kostitsyn much in the second.

The defence was a problem because we just didn't have the same zip leaving our zone that we've had in years past. We're at our best when we can use our speed and get all three forwards rushing up together, but last night we were having trouble getting anything past the neutral zone. I think it's the defensive pairings that are really going to make or break this team, and especially with Campoli out I fear they might not be looking so good until we get Markov back.

Trios à l'entraînement / lines at practice: Pacioretty-Gomez-Gio,Cole-Pleky-Eller,Moen-Engqvist-Weber,Kostitsyn-Desharnais-Darche.

En défensive/ D pairings: Spacek-Diaz,Gorges-Emelin,Gill-Subban. Les gardiens / in net: Peter Budaj et l'entraîneur Pierre Groulx

Via CanadiensMTL Twitter

Where's Mike?

Trios à l'entraînement / lines at practice: Pacioretty-Gomez-Gio,Cole-Pleky-Eller,Moen-Engqvist-Weber,Kostitsyn-Desharnais-Darche.

En défensive/ D pairings: Spacek-Diaz,Gorges-Emelin,Gill-Subban. Les gardiens / in net: Peter Budaj et l'entraîneur Pierre Groulx

Via CanadiensMTL Twitter

Cammalleri?

Archived