The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Negative Thread 2011-12

WinnipegJet

Guest habs1952

Bob Mackenzie just reported on NHL network that the Canadiens Will NOT trade Travis Moen because they intend to re-sign him.

This IMO is a negative on several levels because the one time PG shows his cards is the only time he's ever been holding a royal flush. I don't mind re-signing Moen but I REALLY mind taking him off the market and not seeing what assets we could get in return.

If nobody offers you higher than a 3rd rounder, I completely understand holding onto him and giving him a one year deal. Otherwise, this makes zero sense because his value will NEVER be higher. If someone loses their mind and offers a prospect plus 2nd round pick there's no question you pull the trigger.

Just another curious inconsistent move in a growingly embarrassing gong show that is the Habs brass.

Totally agree Miasun.

Well,,,if the plan is to resign Moen, then i truly hope it's a short term deal. We gave him a 3 year deal last time and he was IMO, a bust in his first two. Only this year did we actually get value for him. Pattern seems to be,,save your best for contract years cause it's fresh in everybody's mind. We better not overpay and give him huge term in his second contract with the team.

Well,,,if the plan is to resign Moen, then i truly hope it's a short term deal. We gave him a 3 year deal last time and he was IMO, a bust in his first two. Only this year did we actually get value for him. Pattern seems to be,,save your best for contract years cause it's fresh in everybody's mind. We better not overpay and give him huge term in his second contract with the team.

If it's another three year deal I'm going to puke. We had this problem when Gainey was general manager. Signing bottom-six players to deals that were too long or too expensive. There's absolutely no reason to be looking at resigning Moen. Absolutely none! The goal for any team in our position is to gain futures. Not to resign ageing, 3rd line forwards. If Gauthier does resign him I would think ownership should be peeved, assuming they have any clue about hockey management.

If it's another three year deal I'm going to puke. We had this problem when Gainey was general manager. Signing bottom-six players to deals that were too long or too expensive. There's absolutely no reason to be looking at resigning Moen. Absolutely none! The goal for any team in our position is to gain futures. Not to resign ageing

, 3rd line forwards. If Gauthier does resign him I would think ownership should be peeved, assuming they have any clue about hockey management.

I could tolerate a one year deal, if only to trade him at the deadline next year but I truly believe in spite of his current injury (which may or may not be quite as severe as it appears) his point production and market value will NOT get higher than this. You absolutely must trade Moen if you can something higher than a 3rd rounder for him.

Between Darche, White, Dumont, Schultz one or a combo can fill his role. Also, he's worth 2 million dollars a season now. Anthony Stewart is younger, cheaper, more talented, from Quebec and available. I don't see a need to retain Moen unless other gms are simply tossing junk our way.

Bob Mackenzie just reported on NHL network that the Canadiens Will NOT trade Travis Moen because they intend to re-sign him.

This IMO is a negative on several levels because the one time PG shows his cards is the only time he's ever been holding a royal flush. I don't mind re-signing Moen but I REALLY mind taking him off the market and not seeing what assets we could get in return.

If nobody offers you higher than a 3rd rounder, I completely understand holding onto him and giving him a one year deal. Otherwise, this makes zero sense because his value will NEVER be higher. If someone loses their mind and offers a prospect plus 2nd round pick there's no question you pull the trigger.

Just another curious inconsistent move in a growingly embarrassing gong show that is the Habs brass.

I agree that anything lower than a Second is too low but what Bob McKenzie said is that Moen wants to resign but there was been nothing formerly started. He also said that PG has spoken with hiss agent.

Being SO 7 times ,,,,,,,,,,,,,including 5 on home ice. :angry:

11-14-8 ,,,,On home ice <_<

Only 30 PTs. out of a possible 66 PTs. on home ice. :angry: ,Only Columbus has a worse record.

Currently sitting in the running for the 4th overall pick.

I know,,I know,,,,this last statement could be in the positive thread as well. :rolleyes:

Being SO 7 times ,,,,,,,,,,,,,including 5 on home ice. :angry:

11-14-8 ,,,,On home ice <_<

Only 30 PTs. out of a possible 66 PTs. on home ice. :angry: ,Only Columbus has a worse record.

Currently sitting in the running for the 4th overall pick.

I know,,I know,,,,this last statement could be in the positive thread as well. :rolleyes:

thats what were going to get if PG keeps making these deals (kaberle)33 years old 4.3 mil til 20013-2014 season signing markov 5.7 mil for 3years may never play again? and the cami deal calamity.now the rumor is hes going to keep moen? our D are to small and not agressive enough and are having problems controling the front of the net.its time to make some serious changes in my opinion.

A top 5 pick in the Habs hands makes me nervous. Let's be honest, we tried our absolute best to ruin Carey Price and we're fortunate that he's reached all star status.

PK Subban is a second rounder, who was a steal yet we keep trying to mess him up.

Nobody else on the roster is a actually a well developed first rounder besides Max Pacioretty and his audacity had much to do with his development.

All I'm saying is we have a history of horrible decisions with 1st round picks and our most recent successful pick is a top 4 d-man for another team.

We're all trying to embrace this fail for nail I.e. Top talent through draft movement but I believe were ignoring the fact that we have a 75%chance of screwing that up based on recent history in the city.

I know I'm going to get verbally decapitated but this organization should look into dealing a high first round pick for elite NHL talent NOW. Preferably a defenceman or incredible forward.

Our window with Price, Subban, Pacioretty and Eller being on entry level affordable contracts will close soon and Erik Cole has one, maybe two, good seasons in him.

This team doesn't have the ability to properly build around young talent and IMO is better served building through trades rather than picks.

A top 5 pick in the Habs hands makes me nervous. Let's be honest, we tried our absolute best to ruin Carey Price and we're fortunate that he's reached all star status.

PK Subban is a second rounder, who was a steal yet we keep trying to mess him up.

Nobody else on the roster is a actually a well developed first rounder besides Max Pacioretty and his audacity had much to do with his development.

All I'm saying is we have a history of horrible decisions with 1st round picks and our most recent successful pick is a top 4 d-man for another team.

We're all trying to embrace this fail for nail I.e. Top talent through draft movement but I believe were ignoring the fact that we have a 75%chance of screwing that up based on recent history in the city.

I know I'm going to get verbally decapitated but this organization should look into dealing a high first round pick for elite NHL talent NOW. Preferably a defenceman or incredible forward.

Our window with Price, Subban, Pacioretty and Eller being on entry level affordable contracts will close soon and Erik Cole has one, maybe two, good seasons in him.

This team doesn't have the ability to properly build around young talent and IMO is better served building through trades rather than picks.

If you don't have faith in the organization's ability to draft properly, what makes you think they'll make the right trade? I actually think we've done fairly well at developing talent from within. Look at the core pieces going forward, all home-grown: Price, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Emelin, Subban. Look at the contracts weighing us down, all trades or UFA signings: Gomez, Kaberle, Bourque.

we be taking another Russian born player with our first round pick.Watch and see

What's wrong with that?

• The best player in the league is Russian born. Evgeni Malkin.
  • Alexander Ovechkin is widely regarded as one of the best in the world, too.
  • Andrei Markov was exceptional for Montreal for years before his injury setbacks.
  • Alexei Emelin has been the most physical player on our team this season.

Should I go on?

What's wrong with that?

• The best player in the league is Russian born. Evgeni Malkin.
  • Alexander Ovechkin is widely regarded as one of the best in the world, too.
  • Andrei Markov was exceptional for Montreal for years before his injury setbacks.
  • Alexei Emelin has been the most physical player on our team this season.

Should I go on?

Nothing wrong with it.There area lot of great Russian players. Its just a gamble (will its a gamble with all choices)if the player decides to play or not.

And you see how great Alexander Ovechkin is playing.He could be the best player in the world if he decides to play.

Nothing wrong with it.There area lot of great Russian players. Its just a gamble (will its a gamble with all choices)if the player decides to play or not.

And you see how great Alexander Ovechkin is playing.He could be the best player in the world if he decides to play.

I think the guys who have already made the jump to the CHL are safe bets to play in the NHL. Yakupov (OHL) and Grigorenko (QMJHL).

A few years ago, all European players were considered lazy. The media kept on telling us that no team with a European captain had ever won the cup. Remember that "statistic"? Since then Lidstrom and Chara have won the cup. Chara did so beating the Sedin twins. Also, a team captained by Crosby won the cup, but Evgeni Malkin was the MVP.

Now we hear this nonsense about Russians more specifically, which makes sense from a racism perspective since Putin is standing up to Obama and our media is filled with stories of how "evil" Russia is. Anyhow, nonsense is what it is. There are great Russian players out there like Datsyuk, Kovalchuk and Malkin. Team Russia won the world juniors this year.

Fortunately, I'm confident that racism is not an issue with Habs management. Unfortunately, it's an issue with fans, for example the nonsense arguments we've heard over the years that Andrei Kostitsyn only shows up to 1 game in 10, i.e. that he has the talent to be a 200 goal scorer.

A few years ago, all European players were considered lazy. The media kept on telling us that no team with a European captain had ever won the cup. Remember that "statistic"? Since then Lidstrom and Chara have won the cup. Chara did so beating the Sedin twins. Also, a team captained by Crosby won the cup, but Evgeni Malkin was the MVP.

Now we hear this nonsense about Russians more specifically, which makes sense from a racism perspective since Putin is standing up to Obama and our media is filled with stories of how "evil" Russia is. Anyhow, nonsense is what it is. There are great Russian players out there like Datsyuk, Kovalchuk and Malkin. Team Russia won the world juniors this year.

Fortunately, I'm confident that racism is not an issue with Habs management. Unfortunately, it's an issue with fans, for example the nonsense arguments we've heard over the years that Andrei Kostitsyn only shows up to 1 game in 10, i.e. that he has the talent to be a 200 goal scorer.

I believe Russia lost at the World Junior tournament to Sweden didn't they?

Either way, I think most of the board members here are aware of the generalizations made about Eastern European hockey players and understand they are just that, generalizations. For every lazy Russian, there is a lazy Canadian too.

I'd be more than happy to end up with a Russian player at this year's draft.

If you don't have faith in the organization's ability to draft properly, what makes you think they'll make the right trade? I actually think we've done fairly well at developing talent from within. Look at the core pieces going forward, all home-grown: Price, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Emelin, Subban. Look at the contracts weighing us down, all trades or UFA signings: Gomez, Kaberle, Bourque.

Well, you make some fair points but I believe I specified I don't have confidence in our ability to draft and develop a FIRST rounder. Our record with lower picks is quite good: Markov, Emelin and Plekanec actually represent great development. I'd say DIaz and DD also represent good finds so taking lower tier players and making them good has been a strength. It elite talent coming out of the first round outside of Price and possibly Pax that we've not been able to develop for the last 20 years.

Cole, Hamrlik, Gorges, Kovalev come to mind as strong trades/ufa moves.

I guess my point is this being the negative thread I am not feeling good about our organization in general but in particular in my eyes we've had about a 15% success rate with first round draft picks helping our own team over the past 20 years. I'm not sure if its the media pressure or the teams strategy of sticking all young kids on the 4th line and toiling them between the minors, bench or doghouse but I'd venture to say we've faired better in terms of trades, because I'm sure we've won more then 2 out of 10.

Whatever...I'm just an irritated fan having a hard time seeing better times on the horizon in any regard, especially with a 2-3 year project in our teams hands.

Whatever...I'm just an irritated fan having a hard time seeing better times on the horizon in any regard, especially with a 2-3 year project in our teams hands.

Im with you

A top pick in this years draft isn't goign to gurantee anything - except more of " we have all these players with potential "

Look at the Oilers

Archived